ADVERTISEMENT

The U.S. had the highest rate of people struggling to afford enough food to feed themselves and their families of all G7 countries in 2023

Oil companies and big businesses do feed children. Lots of them. Try working and providing for your family - the check comes from them.

Funny - I've never been given a check by a poor person
I had never seen a rich oil magnet in the ghetto. Try bringing jobs to the ghetto instead of running to the suburbs. Try giving money to the public schools instead of creating charters or closing them. Try stopping the red-linin or segregating our cities keeping all the funds for themselves. Try stopping discrimination and racism. Try being human and showing empathy for people of color and poor people as a whole.

Are your schools poor? Or is your student quality poor? Most city school districts spend more per pupil than their surrounding suburbs, with worse results.

I don't know how you legislate a quiet home, with attentive parents that place an emphasis on delayed gratification, respect and education. When you find out, let me know.
You sir are sad and live in a whitebread world. All of my schools are close from elementary to high school. The place where I grew up was flattened and no longer there. A whole community is gone.

I had never seen a rich oil magnet in the ghetto. Try bringing jobs to the ghetto instead of running to the suburbs. Try giving money to the public schools instead of creating charters or closing them. Try stopping the red-linin or segregating our cities keeping all the funds for themselves. Try stopping discrimination and racism. Try being human and showing empathy for people of color and poor people as a whole.
Why should anyone move to a high crime area or place their business where it would get destroyed? That's non-sensical.

But the rich oil magnet hires people from the "ghetto".

How many people have you employed? Are you living the the ghetto?

Reactions: Willdog7
So if you live in those neighborhoods you can't drive to lower cost stores like Aldi and Kroger?

How many people do you see in poor neighborhoods walking with their groceries? Give me a break.

But no, we need to continue to poor money into people who are too lazy to get in their car and drive 2 miles.
"So if you live in those neighborhoods you can't drive to lower cost stores like Aldi and Kroger?"

For ****sake dude how dense are you? The whole reason it's called a "food desert" is that most people don't have cars to drive anywhere. And as I pointed out with regards to Indy there is also no reliable public transportation that they can rely on... So no a vast majority of them can't drive to Aldi or Kroger to buy fresh produce. It's much easier to walk to McDonalds, or Bk or any other fast food joint.

If they take a cab or uber,then that's an additional expense coming out of what they have to spend on food. It's kind of a self defeating proposition if your goal is to save money on groceries.

The whole point is that Farva or his clone, used a photo/recipe from some woman who (in her own alias) references "lakeshore Drive", probably the closest Chicago comes to Beverly Hills and one of the most exclusive areas for shopping and luxury apartments in the country. When you're in that environment it's easy to have access to healthy fresh vegetables and fruits.

"So if you live in those neighborhoods you can't drive to lower cost stores like Aldi and Kroger?"

For ****sake dude how dense are you? The whole reason it's called a "food desert" is that most people don't have cars to drive anywhere. And as I pointed out with regards to Indy there is also no reliable public transportation that they can rely on... So no a vast majority of them can't drive to Aldi or Kroger to buy fresh produce. It's much easier to walk to McDonalds, or Bk or any other fast food joint.

If they take a cab or uber,then that's an additional expense coming out of what they have to spend on food. It's kind of a self defeating proposition if your goal is to save money on groceries.

The whole point is that Farva or his clone, used a photo/recipe from some woman who (in her own alias) references "lakeshore Drive", probably the closest Chicago comes to Beverly Hills and one of the most exclusive areas for shopping and luxury apartments in the country. When you're in that environment it's easy to have access to healthy fresh vegetables and fruits.
Bullshit. There are vehicles all over poor neighborhoods. Ever hear of car pooling? Ever hear of neighbors helping each other out?

No, because poor people are just all sitting alone in their apartment and can only walk to the store. Yet, even where there are stores, you don't see people walking with their groceries.

Your stereotypes of the poor are what lead to stupid policy decisions.

Cut down on crime and stores will come. But, oh, that's right - the progressives don't want police around. Talk about ****ing stupid.

Last edited:
Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
Why should anyone move to a high crime area or place their business where it would get destroyed? That's non-sensical.

But the rich oil magnet hires people from the "ghetto".

How many people have you employed? Are you living the the ghetto?
I did

Bullshit. There are vehicles all over poor neighborhoods. Ever hear of car pooling? Ever hear of neighbors helping each other out?

No, because poor people are just all sitting alone in their apartment and can only walk to the store. Yet, even where there are stores, you don't see people walking with their groceries.

Cut down on crime and stores will come. But, oh, that's right - the progressives don't want police around. Talk about ****ing stupid.
Food deserts and the challenges people face there aren't stereotypes. The type of dismissive attitude toward people who live in these types of areas is actually what leads to poor policy more often than not.

I know you think you know the answers to everything, but you're definitely out of your element here. 'Carpooling to Kroger' isn't really the solution you think it is. You do a lot of googling to carry water for Trump - maybe you should spend some time this afternoon googling food deserts.

• Love
Reactions: cosmickid

Why are you so hung up on the name of the publication? If it was called "Eatin' on a ghetto budget" would that make the Kale in the recipe cheaper?

Where I live, we see a lot of people walking from the store to their apartment with their groceries.

It helps that there are a couple apartment complexes not even a mile from the stores.

A new Chicago Booth study finds that food deserts have no meaningful effect on eating habits. Exposing low-income households to the same products and prices as those in high-income households reduces nutritional inequality by only 9 percent while the remaining 91 percent of the nutrition gap is driven by difference in what shoppers prefer to buy, according to a National Bureau of Economic Research working paper published recently.

“One of the conclusions in our study is that opening a supermarket in a food desert has very little impact on the nutritional composition of households’ shopping baskets,” said Jean-Pierre Dubé, the Sigmund E. Edelstone Professor of Marketing at Chicago Booth, who co-authored the research along with New York University’s Hung Allcott and Stanford University’s Rebecca Diamond. “People in food deserts shop in supermarkets almost as frequently as people living in higher-income neighborhoods. They just travel longer distances to stores.”

All about making educated and disciplined choices. Take seriously what you put in your body. You don't get another one.

Reactions: DANC
Why are you so hung up on the name of the publication? If it was called "Eatin' on a ghetto budget" would that make the Kale in the recipe cheaper?
I think the point is that someone who lives where that blogger presumably lives can afford and has access to fresh, healthy ingredients to make salads like the one in the recipe regularly.

• Haha

A new Chicago Booth study finds that food deserts have no meaningful effect on eating habits. Exposing low-income households to the same products and prices as those in high-income households reduces nutritional inequality by only 9 percent while the remaining 91 percent of the nutrition gap is driven by difference in what shoppers prefer to buy, according to a National Bureau of Economic Research working paper published recently.

“One of the conclusions in our study is that opening a supermarket in a food desert has very little impact on the nutritional composition of households’ shopping baskets,” said Jean-Pierre Dubé, the Sigmund E. Edelstone Professor of Marketing at Chicago Booth, who co-authored the research along with New York University’s Hung Allcott and Stanford University’s Rebecca Diamond. “People in food deserts shop in supermarkets almost as frequently as people living in higher-income neighborhoods. They just travel longer distances to stores.”

All about making educated and disciplined choices. Take seriously what you put in your body. You don't get another one.
Yes, habits are hard to break. Water is also wet.

Decades long socioeconomic norms aren't going to be reversed by just opening a grocery store in rural or urban underserved community. Food programs in schools and getting the federal dietary guidelines to quit making a mockery of what is deemed acceptable healthy foods would be a good start.

• Haha
Reactions: IU_Hickory and DANC
Food deserts and the challenges people face there aren't stereotypes. The type of dismissive attitude toward people who live in these types of areas is actually what leads to poor policy more often than not.

I know you think you know the answers to everything, but you're definitely out of your element here. 'Carpooling to Kroger' isn't really the solution you think it is. You do a lot of googling to carry water for Trump - maybe you should spend some time this afternoon googling food deserts.
'Food deserts' - another phrase the left likes to throw around. If you think anyone would walk with their groceries to the store if one was within walking distance, you're fooling yourself. There can't be a store on every corner.

Go live out in the country in a small Indiana town and I'll show you a 'food desert'. People have to drive 25-30 miles to get to a grocery store.

And then you bring Trump into it? Hilarious - you have a serious problem dude. He rules you and you don't even realize it.

Carpooling can be effective in a low income neighborhood. Neighbors have to help each other. If you think handing out money makes things better, you're ignoring 60 years of history.

Reactions: 76-1
Where I live, we see a lot of people walking from the store to their apartment with their groceries.

It helps that there are a couple apartment complexes not even a mile from the stores.
Do you live in a high crime area?

Yes, habits are hard to break. Water is also wet.

Decades long socioeconomic norms aren't going to be reversed by just opening a grocery store in rural or urban underserved community. Food programs in schools and getting the federal dietary guidelines to quit making a mockery of what is deemed acceptable healthy foods would be a good start.
Should I take this as your agreement that the obesity problem isn't a matter of cost or "food deserts" but rather education and choices?

We agree that corporate capture of the USDA, FDA, etc was absolutely disastrous for American's diets and health. A reason why such an agencies are useless at best and malignant at worst.

'Food deserts' - another phrase the left likes to throw around. If you think anyone would walk with their groceries to the store if one was within walking distance, you're fooling yourself. There can't be a store on every corner.

Go live out in the country in a small Indiana town and I'll show you a 'food desert'. People have to drive 25-30 miles to get to a grocery store.

And then you bring Trump into it? Hilarious - you have a serious problem dude. He rules you and you don't even realize it.

Carpooling can be effective in a low income neighborhood. Neighbors have to help each other. If you think handing out money makes things better, you're ignoring 60 years of history.
Sigh - you have no idea what you're talking about which is why I asked you to good things. Regardless of how you feel about the name, the challenges faced by people living in food deserts are real.

Poor people in remote, rural communities have similar health issues and challenges people in urban underserved places do. I'm sure you have some anecdotal evidence of people driving 30 miles into the next country or city to go to the grocery, but the fact of the matter is that isn't a regularly occurring event. Between my current job, my previous job and a board position, this is something I deal with pretty regularly. There are plenty of small town people in the middle of nowhere who have just as much difficulty getting access to medical care and healthy food as there are in food deserts.

• Haha
Um. I frequently walk with my groceries. But I'm also shopping for two and not a whole family and make 1-2 grocery drop ins a week to pick up stuff I need. I don't typically do large grocery runs meant to last multiple weeks.

Should I take this as your agreement that the obesity problem isn't a matter of cost or "food deserts" but rather education and choices?

We agree that corporate capture of the USDA, FDA, etc was absolutely disastrous for American's diets and health. A reason why such an agencies are useless at best and malignant at worst.
No.

It's a combination of the all the above. Yes, education is a big part of it, but cost is also a HUGE factor. The main reason low cost, fast food places do so well in poor neighborhoods is because they're so cheap. And being able to walk into a McDonalds or Taco Bell and pick up a sack of 4 or 5 burgers or tacos is also a matter of habit, access and cost.

Reactions: Baller23Boogie
Sigh - you have no idea what you're talking about which is why I asked you to good things. Regardless of how you feel about the name, the challenges faced by people living in food deserts are real.

Poor people in remote, rural communities have similar health issues and challenges people in urban underserved places do. I'm sure you have some anecdotal evidence of people driving 30 miles into the next country or city to go to the grocery, but the fact of the matter is that isn't a regularly occurring event. Between my current job, my previous job and a board position, this is something I deal with pretty regularly. There are plenty of small town people in the middle of nowhere who have just as much difficulty getting access to medical care and healthy food as there are in food deserts.
So why aren't you advocating for stores in the middle-of-nowhere Indiana?

It's clear you have a vested interest in this. You've already admitted 'food deserts' aren't the problem for nutrition.

Are you personally willing to invest in stores that will lose money and be the victim of crimes?

No.

It's a combination of the all the above. Yes, education is a big part of it, but cost is also a HUGE factor. The main reason low cost, fast food places do so well in poor neighborhoods is because they're so cheap. And being able to walk into a McDonalds or Taco Bell and pick up a sack of 4 or 5 burgers or tacos is also a matter of habit, access and cost.
What's your answer? You guys are great at pointing fingers at problems - what's your solution?

Violent crime, no.

We did just have our first murder about a month ago in I don't know how long. That was the talk for a while.

I also live in the country, so I only go into town when I have to.

Um. I frequently walk with my groceries. But I'm also shopping for two and not a whole family and make 1-2 grocery drop ins a week to pick up stuff I need. I don't typically do large grocery runs meant to last multiple weeks.

Violent crime, no.

We did just have our first murder about a month ago in I don't know how long. That was the talk for a while.

Crime is the problem. Why would stores locate in an area where they is constant crime?

Instead of whining about 'food deserts', @Ohio Guy should be advocating for more police protection and prosecutors who will actually punish offenders.

It's not that difficult.

Violent crime, no.

Didn't you write this? "Where I live, we see a lot of people walking from the store to their apartment with their groceries."

How can you see people walking from their apartments if you live in the country?

Didn't you write this? "Where I live, we see a lot of people walking from the store to their apartment with their groceries."

How can you see people walking from their apartments if you live in the country?

I have to drive to the store. There are sidewalks that people walk on carrying their bags of groceries.

It's easy to see when people are paying attention to their surroundings.

I suppose that’s relative. Relative to the rest of Chicago, no.

There is public housing across the street which is why I see so many people at checkout using their SNAP to buy Ruffles and Dr Pepper. Can’t really pin that on a “Food Desert”.

So why aren't you advocating for stores in the middle-of-nowhere Indiana?

It's clear you have a vested interest in this. You've already admitted 'food deserts' aren't the problem for nutrition.

Are you personally willing to invest in stores that will lose money and be the victim of crimes?
Sometimes you say weird, off the wall things that I'm not really sure how to respond to and I question your reading comprehension. This is one of those times.

I haven't advocated for putting stores anywhere in this thread. And all the problems of the food deserts are all very much a part of the problem.

I don't think just magically plopping down a grocery in the middle of an inner city - or even in the middle or nowhere rural USA is the answer and I've said as much in this thread. I think a big part of this is what is subsidized and what isn't. Access and affordability are issues too. Throw in education on food choices and you'll start to reverse some of what's going on.

Sometimes I think you just see certain posters and just want to say something contrary, even if you don't know what you're talking about.

Reactions: cosmickid
Sometimes you say weird, off the wall things that I'm not really sure how to respond to and I question your reading comprehension. This is one of those times.

I haven't advocated for putting stores anywhere in this thread. And all the problems of the food deserts are all very much a part of the problem.

I don't think just magically plopping down a grocery in the middle of an inner city - or even in the middle or nowhere rural USA is the answer and I've said as much in this thread. I think a big part of this is what is subsidized and what isn't. Access and affordability are issues too. Throw in education on food choices and you'll start to reverse some of what's going on.

Sometimes I think you just see certain posters and just want to say something contrary, even if you don't know what you're talking about.
Sometimes I think you just like to virtue signal and bring up issues where the problem is obvious, but you think you are sticking up for the underprivileged.

What have I said that's off the wall? You know the issue is crime, yet you say nothing about it. Instead, you want to whine about 'food deserts'. And you bring Trump into a conversation that has nothing to do with Trump.

You might want to examine your posts.

Your body is really the only education that’s needed.

When I eat a lot of refined grains and added sugar, I feel like crap. When I eat whole foods I don’t. I don’t believe I’m unique in that.

That might be an indicator of what’s good to eat and what isn’t? Or am I crazy?

Sometimes I think you just like to virtue signal and bring up issues where the problem is obvious, but you think you are sticking up for the underprivileged.

What have I said that's off the wall? You know the issue is crime, yet you say nothing about it. Instead, you want to whine about 'food deserts'. And you bring Trump into a conversation that has nothing to do with Trump.

You might want to examine your posts.
What you said that was off the wall in your previous post was mischaracterizing, misattributing things and misquoting me like you were already responding without reading what I actually wrote.

And the solution to food inequality isn't obvious. And yes, crime in poverty stricken neighborhoods certainly factors in. Domestic abuse and drug and alcohol addiction also factor into these issues in rural and urban settings as well.

"Gosh, why don't these people just try harder to get to the grocery store" isn't really a solution.

Your body is really the only education that’s needed.

When I eat a lot of refined grains and added sugar, I feel like crap. When I eat whole foods I don’t. I don’t believe I’m unique in that.

That might be an indicator of what’s good to eat and what isn’t? Or am I crazy?
All things being equal, you're right. If everyone had equal access to all the right types of foods and were adequately educated on healthy vs non-healthy foods then you'd be spot on. Not everyone has that luxury.

There are way too many people getting their feet chopped off after a lifetime of chugging 2 liters of pop and eating chips. I think access to healthy food and education on food choices plays a big part in that.

I don't give a shit about her name. I just think you're a moron for acting like her situation (or yours) is anything akin to the issue of poor people not having daily access to the ingredients she uses. It's readily apparent the way some of you interract with willdog that you're clueless and just try to apply your (worthless) analysis to a situation and experience that he has actually been a part of.

Reactions: Ohio Guy
Oh, Danc, you've got me.

I never leave my house and go into town. I'm only allowed to go to work and home.... that's it.

How silly of me to lie about something so trivial 🙄
What I'm saying is, you're basing your observation on you driving into town to get to a store. I wasn't questioning where you live.

I guess you don't see the irony in it.

What I'm saying is, you're basing your observation on you driving into town to get to a store. I wasn't questioning where you live.

I guess you don't see the irony in it.

I was simply pointing out that I see people walking to and from the store in my town. That's all.

I know it's not like that everywhere. One size doesn't fit all.

I don't give a shit about her name. I just think you're a moron for acting like her situation (or yours) is anything akin to the issue of poor people not having daily access to the ingredients she uses. It's readily apparent the way some of you interract with willdog that you're clueless and just try to apply your (worthless) analysis to a situation and experience that he has actually been a part of.
Are you telling me to “Check my privilege”?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT