ADVERTISEMENT

The top 10 college basketball arenas, according to Andy Katz

IU is underwater in the Big Ten this CENTURY! Sub 500! 24 years with the middle of the pack in the record in the BT! Is that BETTER?
And, even after 24 years of middle of the pack/sub par results and 5 coaches, look at how we still support our team:

2023 College Bball Attendance

Just in case you have trouble with it, find your school and look up a couple of spots, for the first B10 team listed.

Again, where were you guys at the end of Keady/beginning of Paint? Did you crack 5 digits in attendance? No, I didn't think so. I'm not familiar with the term, but is that what they call "bandwagon fans"?

And, even after 24 years of middle of the pack/sub par results and 5 coaches, look at how we still support our team:

Just in case you have trouble with it, find your school and look up a couple of spots, for the first B10 team listed.

Again, where were you guys at the end of Keady/beginning of Paint? Did you crack 5 digits in attendance? No, I didn't think so. I'm not familiar with the term, but is that what they call "bandwagon fans"?
To reenforce your point, that's 2022-23 data, last year our attendance was even higher.

Even at our lowest point during Crean's rebuild, we still had higher attendance than little Purdoo.

To reenforce your point, that's 2022-23 data, last year our attendance was even higher.

Even at our lowest point during Crean's rebuild, we still had higher attendance than little Purdoo.
I think at one point I looked it up and they dropped under 10,000 per game during keady/paint transition, and that period made them cancel their midnight madness event for years. We have been down during this entire time, but I think Hoosier fans have supported our program at an unprecedented level really. I don't think any of the other programs on this list, or Katz's would be there with the results we've lived through over the last 20+ years. Heck, I went to a 70% full Dean Dome during Doherty's tenure and I think they'd been in a Final 4 two years prior.

Reactions: Tammany Hall
Points for rhyming. However....

the last 10 years are arbitrary and intent on skewing the data. 11 and 12 years ago Purdue had a losing record and you chose to cut it off there.

Indiana has more fans at home than Purdue every single year. Every game, every year. You can sell out a 12 person conference room and try to convince us that Mackey has any kind of aura at all. They've only cracked the top 10 in the nation twice in the past 40 years and that's because they had a 7'4" aberration on the court.

11th in capacity in the Big TEN. How funny is that?
Something IU has failed to realize for a very long time is that really tall
players will give the team an advantage on the basketball court.

Reactions: kkott

To be fair, those numbers don't mean much given that arenas differ in capacity. If you look at capacity percentage, Purdue was actually higher last season than IU.

A lot of people waiting for this!

This is will never happen!

Purdue is 145-16 at home the last 10 years winning at 90% clip! IU is 136-41, playing 16 more home games than Purdue but only winning at 77% clip. Purdue is also 3rd or 4th in the country in consecutive sellouts, (IU sorry no), up there with Kansas and Duke! So you say Purdue is just "HOPE"! With your above statements you sound like IU is the best candidate for hope! Maybe you should rethink what you typed, because you sound like a "DOPE"!

To be fair, those numbers don't mean much given that arenas differ in capacity. If you look at capacity percentage, Purdue was actually higher last season than IU.
Of course that's right... I think PU sold out all home games last year, so presumably could have filled even more seats. My point was just that IU fans have supported our team even during a relatively down period of the last 20 year or so, and continued to sell 90% of our arena capacity. When Purdue took a swoon in the Keady/Paint transition their attendance dropped off considerably and they cancelled their Midnight Madness event for years; think it's just restarted in the last couple of years, and they didn't have the prolonged period of sub par results we've endured.

Reactions: Courtsensetwo
visually it is one of the most appealing designs, but I'd agree there are way too many bad seats. If we were to climb back up to elite, I think a new arena that tries to maintain the special aspects of AH (vertical feel, banners at one end, etc...) but provide better overall seating views should be a priority.
Any new arena with 17-20k seats will have nosebleed seats that no one likes

A lot of people waiting for this!

This is will never happen!

Purdue is 145-16 at home the last 10 years winning at 90% clip! IU is 136-41, playing 16 more home games than Purdue but only winning at 77% clip. Purdue is also 3rd or 4th in the country in consecutive sellouts, (IU sorry no), up there with Kansas and Duke! So you say Purdue is just "HOPE"! With your above statements you sound like IU is the best candidate for hope! Maybe you should rethink what you typed, because you sound like a "DOPE"!
IU has a waiting list and has for 40 years wtaf are you talking about

Of course that's right... I think PU sold out all home games last year, so presumably could have filled even more seats. My point was just that IU fans have supported our team even during a relatively down period of the last 20 year or so, and continued to sell 90% of our arena capacity. When Purdue took a swoon in the Keady/Paint transition their attendance dropped off considerably and they cancelled their Midnight Madness event for years; think it's just restarted in the last couple of years, and they didn't have the prolonged period of sub par results we've endured.
I doubt there is another program in th country that would have maintained to ticket sales and broadcast popularity that IU has during the length of disappointment we have seen

Reactions: TR32
I doubt there is another program in th country that would have maintained to ticket sales and broadcast popularity that IU has during the length of disappointment we have seen
I’m not sure what the argument is here.

IU has tremendous fan participation. I’d put our ability to put fans in the seats (home, neutral or away) up against anyone.

If the argument is about how good our program is, wins, etc, that’s different.

But ability to sell tickets? I’d say we are second to none.

There’s a reason our NIL is multiples higher than any other team in the B10.

I’m not sure what the argument is here.

IU has tremendous fan participation. I’d put our ability to put fans in the seats (home, neutral or away) up against anyone.

If the argument is about how good our program is, wins, etc, that’s different.

But ability to sell tickets? I’d say we are second to none.

There’s a reason our NIL is multiples higher than any other team in the B10.
No argument from me. I was adding color to your point.

Any new arena with 17-20k seats will have nosebleed seats that no one likes
Sure, but wouldn't you agree AH has a very high percentage? With the sweeping verticality and the limited seating behind baskets, pretty much all the balcony and the top 10 or so rows under the balconies have bad viewing and that's what, 30% of the seating in the arena that's bad? When Gainbridge opened, people generally loved it. Heck, you said you liked the DeanDome and I thought that was the most uninspiring, anti-septic arena I've ever been in. I don't even hear most UNC fans mention it when they talk about great arenas. But I think it seats 20K and has good sight lines throughout.

Sure, but wouldn't you agree AH has a very high percentage? With the sweeping verticality and the limited seating behind baskets, pretty much all the balcony and the top 10 or so rows under the balconies have bad viewing and that's what, 30% of the seating in the arena that's bad? When Gainbridge opened, people generally loved it. Heck, you said you liked the DeanDome and I thought that was the most uninspiring, anti-septic arena I've ever been in. I don't even hear most UNC fans mention it when they talk about great arenas. But I think it seats 20K and has good sight lines throughout.
I think that’s right. Take away the bad balcony overhang and put more seats behind the baskets and you’d have a lot more good views. Of course with the way AH is designed there isn’t room for many more seats behind the basket, there are big supports behind those walls.

I think you are over stating the bad seats in TAH

a3551842-a2fe-446e-946e-3ce2dfc88397_text.gif

IU is underwater in the Big Ten this CENTURY! Sub 500! 24 years with the middle of the pack in the record in the BT! Is that BETTER?
I love the “smugginess” Purdue fans are walking around with right now.

Pre Edey…IU was in the midst of its worst 25 year stretch, maybe ever…and they still had comparable overall results to Purdue, which had some of its programs best teams and overall results.

Heck, the best team Purdue has ever had, with one of the best players it’s ever had, accomplished really no more than IUs 2002 team, which probably wasnt even a top 15-20 IU team all time.

Purdue is Texas Tech or San Diego State. Solid regional program. Nothing more.

I’m selling Purdue basketball right now. And buying IU.

I love the “smugginess” Purdue fans are walking around with right now.

Pre Edey…IU was in the midst of its worst 25 year stretch, maybe ever…and they still had comparable overall results to Purdue, which had some of its programs best teams and overall results.

Heck, the best team Purdue has ever had, with one of the best players it’s ever had, accomplished really no more than IUs 2002 team, which probably wasnt even a top 15-20 IU team all time.

Purdue is Texas Tech or San Diego State. Solid regional program. Nothing more.

I’m selling Purdue basketball right now. And buying IU.
You should buy IU, I mean how much money does it take to make Woody Wood Pecker into a good coach? Buy away! Spend, spend! $$$$$$$$ You might even get some where! Good Luck!

You should buy IU, I mean how much money does it take to make Woody Wood Pecker into a good coach? Buy away! Spend, spend! $$$$$$$$ You might even get some where! Good Luck!
Someone is upset Purdue had their chance and blew it. Now PU’s recruiting has fallen off and the future is looking worse by the day.

Reactions: IU2Bgood and kkott
Someone is upset Purdue had their chance and blew it. Now PU’s recruiting has fallen off and the future is looking worse by the day.
I"m actually really interested to see where Purdue goes. Painter seems to be totally bucking the trend and doubling down on recruiting HS guys and developing culture. I think that's going to be a very hard and thinning pool of players, but I can't say part of me doesn't hope he can keep them relevant and make it work. Sleepers said they are thinning TKR down and looking at playing 5 out. If they do, and it works, I'll give Painter even more credit for being flexible and maximizing his roster. Also have heard good things about a couple of their freshmen guards, and of course the big guy, although now it seems maybe they're thinking he's going to be less impactful than it looked early in summer.

I"m actually really interested to see where Purdue goes. Painter seems to be totally bucking the trend and doubling down on recruiting HS guys and developing culture. I think that's going to be a very hard and thinning pool of players, but I can't say part of me doesn't hope he can keep them relevant and make it work. Sleepers said they are thinning TKR down and looking at playing 5 out. If they do, and it works, I'll give Painter even more credit for being flexible and maximizing his roster. Also have heard good things about a couple of their freshmen guards, and of course the big guy, although now it seems maybe they're thinking he's going to be less impactful than it looked early in summer.
PU’s strategy is interesting, though I hope it fails just because it’s PU.

I don’t follow PU too closely, but in general when a school isn’t getting many top-50 HS kids, the ceiling comes down pretty quick. Not only is Matt avoiding the portal, he isn’t getting many top ranked HS players. His competitors are getting the top HS players, along with highly productive, mature portal players. That’s tough.

He’s a very good coach and I expect they’ll consistently be ranked, but it’s hard to see a path to B1G titles and tourney runs if their talent keeps falling off. Two years from now we’ll know. I wouldn’t be surprised if he changes his tune on the portal, especially if they have key player(s) transfer.

I don’t follow PU too closely, but in general when a school isn’t getting many top-50 HS kids, the ceiling comes down pretty quick. Not only is Matt avoiding the portal, he isn’t getting many top ranked HS players. His competitors are getting the top HS players, along with highly productive, mature portal players. That’s tough.

He’s a very good coach and I expect they’ll consistently be ranked, but it’s hard to see a path to B1G titles and tourney runs if their talent keeps falling off. Two years from now we’ll know. I wouldn’t be surprised if he changes his tune on the portal, especially if they have key player(s) transfer.
As has been said many times already, Edey has insulated Painter and Purdue from the realities that are taking over college bball.

I know Gillis leaving was always “the plan”…or that’s how they spin it…but why? The real answer, I assume, is because he/they knew he would make more NIL on the open market.

And then the first higher level recruit they’ve had “post Edey”, decommitted because of NIL/Role dynamics.

He’ll change his tune soon, or they’ll step back to the middle of the pack in the conference, and THEN he’ll change his tune.

History lesson for you since you don't follow Purdue, Carsen Edwards was rated 139 in high school, holds several NCAA tournament records and was 2nd team All-American. Zach Edey was rated 436 in high school, holds several NCAA tournament records is 2 time NCAA player of the year, top 10 NBA draft pick. Jaden Ivey was rated 99 in high school, 2nd team All-American and top 5 draft pick! All the players above(with an average ranking of 225) IU wouldn't even look at! Painter has had great success in the portal, Lance Jones was absolutely great for Purdue last year, but it is hard to get involved in the portal when your roster is FULL! IU has used the portal because they treat their players like ???? and 3 or 4 leave every year and then you need to go out buy your talent! Things on PAPER do not translate out on the court!

As has been said many times already, Edey has insulated Painter and Purdue from the realities that are taking over college bball.

I know Gillis leaving was always “the plan”…or that’s how they spin it…but why? The real answer, I assume, is because he/they knew he would make more NIL on the open market.

And then the first higher level recruit they’ve had “post Edey”, decommitted because of NIL/Role dynamics.

He’ll change his tune soon, or they’ll step back to the middle of the pack in the conference, and THEN he’ll change his tune.
OH NO! You think they will be like middle of the pack like IU!

History lesson for you since you don't follow Purdue, Carsen Edwards was rated 139 in high school, holds several NCAA tournament records and was 2nd team All-American. Zach Edey was rated 436 in high school, holds several NCAA tournament records is 2 time NCAA player of the year, top 10 NBA draft pick. Jaden Ivey was rated 99 in high school, 2nd team All-American and top 5 draft pick! All the players above(with an average ranking of 225) IU wouldn't even look at! Painter has had great success in the portal, Lance Jones was absolutely great for Purdue last year, but it is hard to get involved in the portal when your roster is FULL! IU has used the portal because they treat their players like ???? and 3 or 4 leave every year and then you need to go out buy your talent! Things on PAPER do not translate out on the court!
Bad writing and not a convincing post.

OH NO! You think they will be like middle of the pack like IU!
Could be. The only thing that’s certain is Purdue won’t sustain their last couple years success if Painter keeps managing his rosters how he currently is.

IU will have the talent. It’ll just be a question on whether they have the coaching. When IU finds the right guy, as history has proven, they’ll regain the upper hand over Purdue.

I've only been to Mackey twice. Many years ago. My boss was an alum, and drove down for every game from four hours north and took me a couple times. He had decent seats near one end. I thought it was bit run down at the time compared to assembly hall, but both have had changes since then. It was a very good atmosphere. Fans showed up and had lots of enthusiasm. Good home court.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT