ADVERTISEMENT

The thought police prohibit a sense of humor

CO. Hoosier

Hall of Famer
Aug 29, 2001
State and local government, the ones closest to the people, have used amusing road signs to break up the monotony of driving, and maybe even mitigate highway anger and road rage.

Along comes those idiot know it all experts in big brother and say no. You peons shall not be amused! We want you bored and angry.

Thank you Pete for tackling such a pressing problem. I feel so much safer.

Maybe Making America Great Again will allow a sense of humor.

Speaking of thought, do you think before you post? Do you know that 54% of American adults read below a sixth grade level, and that reading and comprehending anything more than a very few, simple words at 70 mph is going to be challenging and distracting for them? Do you know (you would if you read the article you linked) that people are reaching for their phones and taking pics of these clever, funny road signs while driving at high speed? Are you capable of addressing a topic - - - any topic - - without putting a hyper-partisan spin on it? (Your answer to all these questions is "no.")

State and local government, the ones closest to the people, have used amusing road signs to break up the monotony of driving, and maybe even mitigate highway anger and road rage.

Along comes those idiot know it all experts in big brother and say no. You peons shall not be amused! We want you bored and angry.

Bummer. My daughter loves those. Funsuckers

Reactions: vesuvius13
Speaking of thought, do you think before you post? Do you know that 54% of American adults read below a sixth grade level, and that reading and comprehending anything more than a very few, simple words at 70 mph is going to be challenging and distracting for them? Do you know (you would if you read the article you linked) that people are reaching for their phones and taking pics of these clever, funny road signs while driving at high speed? Are you capable of addressing a topic - - - any topic - - without putting a hyper-partisan spin on it? (Your answer to all these questions is "no.")

Maybe the lawyers can answer, if driver A crashes into driver B while taking a picture of an amusing sign, what legal culpability would the state have to driver B in a lawsuit? I know that lawyers look for the deep pockets, I would think the state has deeper pockets than most individuals though I know laws limit their liability. At a minimum, it gives them a second pocket. I see one law firm reaching out to people injured in crashes due to distracting billboards.

I wish we could have nice things, and funny billboards would be one. I'm not sure where I stand on the law as I am sure that such accidents do happen because we people can be easily distracted.

Maybe the lawyers can answer, if driver A crashes into driver B while taking a picture of an amusing sign, what legal culpability would the state have to driver B in a lawsuit? I know that lawyers look for the deep pockets, I would think the state has deeper pockets than most individuals though I know laws limit their liability. At a minimum, it gives them a second pocket. I see one law firm reaching out to people injured in crashes due to distracting billboards.

I wish we could have nice things, and funny billboards would be one. I'm not sure where I stand on the law as I am sure that such accidents do happen because we people can be easily distracted.
Suing the gov is hell. Most would get the phone records to show the driver was Fing with her phone and she shouldn’t have been on her phone to hammer the negligent driver’s carrier. Not F with the billboard. They still put messages on them that aren’t humorous

You must be one angry dude. People are gonna do what they want do do not matter what the circumstance is. Those signs could be on a billboard... I've seen some funny billboard signs. Should they be made illegal? I think it good to put a humorous spin on a topic that is serious. Most states have laws against using phone while driving. Of course people don't pay any attention to that law or at least most don't.

Now speaking of driving.... what I think is funny is the people that get in a turn lane and then turn on their turn signal. What is the purpose? I already know they are gonna turn because they are in the turn lane.

Oh my, where to begin. In no particular order:

1. I post about government action and you post about me. Typical leftism.

2. You assume the federal bureaucrats are smarter than the state and local bureaucrats. You need to make that case before you rely on it.

3. Your post is the forum equivalent of serious road rage. Amusing signs help people to lighten up.

No case in Colorado. No case in federal court. Probably no case anywhere.

Even if you’re right about the horribles amusing signs cause, who should make the call? Feds or states?

A government entity is going to lead off with an immunity defense but that doesn't always fly. Here, if the entity (e.g. the highway authority) has installed and maintains variable message signs to facilitate highway safety but then proceeds to do something with the signs (e.g. inserting lengthy, distracting messages) that could be deemed unsafe, they're dealing with possible exposure. Of course, the plaintiff will still have the burden of establishing proximate cause, etc.

A government entity is going to lead off with an immunity defense but that doesn't always fly. Here, if the entity (e.g. the highway authority) has installed and maintains variable message signs to facilitate highway safety but then proceeds to do something with the signs (e.g. inserting lengthy, distracting messages) that could be deemed unsafe, they're dealing with possible exposure. Of course, the plaintiff will still have the burden of establishing proximate cause, etc.
Seems to me any judge with common sense should throw the case out if the state has a law stating it's illegal to use your phone while driving.

Reactions: 76-1

When I am President, my Department of Common Sense (headed by my wife) will take care of silly shit like this.

Considering this revision was proposed while Trump was in charge the first time, I wouldn't count on it.
This isn’t a political thing, it’s a government thing. I know very conservative local officials who wanted to use government in ways that you wouldn’t believe.

You blamed Pete and suggested Trump might fix it in your OP. Forgive me for thinking it was a political thing for you.
How Dare You Greta GIF

Petty and trivial ...

Fine, but your OP was political. Now you're trying to pretend that wasn't really what was important.
That is because you wanted to take it that way. I read it and thought he was just complaining about a government official that didn't have anything better to do than complain about road signs.

Last edited:
Oh my, where to begin. In no particular order:

1. I post about government action and you post about me. Typical leftism.

2. You assume the federal bureaucrats are smarter than the state and local bureaucrats. You need to make that case before you rely on it.

3. Your post is the forum equivalent of serious road rage. Amusing signs help people to lighten up.
Quit being so partisan and he wouldn't post about you. And he did address topic as well

He didn't know it was Trump's DOT that proposed the rule, not Biden's.
When was the rule enacted
And regardless of party it’s Funsuckers. It would take serious damages to bother suing the gov over highway signs. Altho I know many who have over road conditions. It’s a bitch

When was the rule enacted
And regardless of party it’s Funsuckers. It would take serious damages to bother suing the gov over highway signs. Altho I know many who have over road conditions. It’s a bitch
I agree it's a dumb rule. I'm just sick of people posting dishonestly. CO started this thread so he could blamed Biden for it, not so he could make some grand pronouncement about the administrative state.

I agree it's a dumb rule. I'm just sick of people posting dishonestly. CO started this thread so he could blamed Biden for it, not so he could make some grand pronouncement about the administrative state.
Okay then I agree with you. I told bcc the same thing yesterday. I’m tired of both dishonest and uninformed posts
Fine to disagree on policy but the your side sucks with nothing going to the merit of the post and dishonest posting (Dems didn’t support blm or basically anything hickory ever writes) are killing the board.

I think bowl is insane on trump shit. But every one of his posts have substance. A topic. A source etc. totally fine.

• Haha
Reactions: IU_Hickory
Okay then I agree with you. I told bcc the same thing yesterday. I’m tired of both dishonest and uninformed posts
Fine to disagree on policy but the your side sucks with nothing going to the merit of the post and dishonest posting (Dems didn’t support blm or basically anything hickory ever writes) are killing the board.

I think bowl is insane on trump shit. But every one of his posts have substance. A topic. A source etc. totally fine.

someone has hds. Pretending your posts add anything to the board? that's a hoot.

You are one of the biggest culprits of posting dishonest and uninformed partisan bs.

someone has hds. Pretending your posts add anything to the board? that's a hoot.

You are one of the biggest culprits of posting dishonest and uninformed partisan bs.
Blm Dems. 60 percent spike. Every post I make I know is accurate. You post nothing but your feelings. And because you are incredibly stupid they are almost always wrong. And you don’t learn. You will still post lies about blm and every other topic. Are you a shill? Do you work for the dnc? Or are you genuinely just that stupid? Are you an iu grad? When? What major? I don’t believe you’re an iu alum

Blm Dems. 60 percent spike. Every post I make I know is accurate. You post nothing but your feelings. And because you are incredibly stupid they are almost always wrong. And you don’t learn. You will still post lies about blm and every other topic. Are you a shill? Do you work for the dnc? Or are you genuinely just that stupid? Are you an iu grad? When? What major? I don’t believe you’re an iu alum

you must be a narcissist given you try to apply to me everything that you do.

You haven’t been paying attention. I have consistently posted about the dangers of government by unaccountable and unelected bureaucrats. I have also posted about the concentration of authority and power at the federal level. Don’t you recall the chocolate chip cookie dust up marv and I had? The increase of power and authority in D.C. is accelerating under Biden. That is objectively true. Sure, I made an example of a particularly dumbassed regulation, but the point is much larger than me bitching about Biden.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT