ADVERTISEMENT

The Settler's Paradigm (pretty long but there are pictures!)

Yes, extremely competitive, and note I said for a school like Marquette.

Crean's Final Four team didn't have the McGuire center to recruit to. It didn't even break ground yet. Keep trying there little fella.

Deane and oneill competed in the Big East? Wasn't Marquette an independent under oneill and some sham conference like the Horizon or something? You are starting to bore me again with your comments, they lack any credibility or basis in expertise. If Deane had done what Crean had done, he would have been fired. Oneill's one run was a Sweet 16, in a non conference or terrible conference environment.

2 1/2 decades. The definition of several is MORE THAN 2. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/several Did you take math? Is 2.5 (that's the same as 2 1/2) more than 2? Good night
Marquette has always played in the same arena has the /bucks play in so thyey don't have their own arena.

Show me the definition where that's what extremely competitive means. That's an opinion of yours, not an absolute. In my view, my opinion, they were extremely competitive. You disagree, but it's just your opinion vs mine, unless you can come up with an actual factual definition. Otherwise, you can say nope all you want, you can have your opinions all day, but you aren't entitled to make them facts.
You make up stuff all the time and claim that they are facts...if it works for you:)

TC was only in the big east three years. The majority of his time was spent in that same sham conference...

The sham conference was related to Oneill. Do you have a reading comprehension problem? " Wasn't Marquette an independent under oneill and some sham conference like the Horizon or something?" Must be another typo from you, or just a false statement that you keep putting out of late. The sham conference was the Oneill conference as I stated. Crean never coached at Marquette as an independent or in that sham conference.

Furthermore, in looking at the CUSA conferences that Crean coached at vs Deane, they are not comparable. For example, the 2004 CUSA that Crean coached in sent 6 teams to the NCAA tournament. The Big Ten that year, with Mike Davis, sent three. Deane never coached in the conference that I can see using sports reference that came close to that level.

The sham conference was related to Oneill. Do you have a reading comprehension problem? " Wasn't Marquette an independent under oneill and some sham conference like the Horizon or something?" Must be another typo from you, or just a false statement that you keep putting out of late. The sham conference was the Oneill conference as I stated. Crean never coached at Marquette as an independent or in that sham conference.

Furthermore, in looking at the CUSA conferences that Crean coached at vs Deane, they are not comparable. For example, the 2004 CUSA that Crean coached in sent 6 teams to the NCAA tournament. The Big Ten that year, with Mike Davis, sent three. Deane never coached in the conference that I can see using sports reference that came close to that level.
Why are you attributing that quote to me? I didn't say that

He called it a sham....it was a sham for the previous coaches, but not for TC

No, you still can't read. I said the conference oneill coached in was a sham. Get it straight

"Deane and oneill competed in the Big East? Wasn't Marquette an independent under oneill and some sham conference like the Horizon or something?"

It was the Midwestern Collegiate Conference, which is now the Horizon league. A one bid league back then.

Why are you attributing that quote to me? I didn't say that

I said that quote, because I said Oneill coached in a sham conference. YOU were the one that then said the following below, which again you were wrong. Crean did NOT coach in the "same sham conference"

You didn't say this? "TC was only in the big east three years. The majority of his time was spent in that same sham conference..."

https://indiana.forums.rivals.com/t...there-are-pictures.129843/page-4#post-1768614

You didn't also say this? "He called it a sham....it was a sham for the previous coaches, but not for TC"

https://indiana.forums.rivals.com/t...there-are-pictures.129843/page-5#post-1768677

Tell me who hijacked your account in the last 7 minutes then.

The sham conference was related to the sham conference oneill coached in. Crean never did, despite you saying that was the same conference Crean coached in. You were wrong. He never coached in that league. Take your medicine.

No, you still can't read. I said the conference oneill coached in was a sham. Get it straight

"Deane and oneill competed in the Big East? Wasn't Marquette an independent under oneill and some sham conference like the Horizon or something?"

It was the Midwestern Collegiate Conference, which is now the Horizon league. A one bid league back then.
Ohh ok, in my defense it's hard to keep things straight with you, you shift what you say so frequently

One time it's extremely competitive, next its extremely competitive for MU....things change so fast with you

Marquette has always played in the same arena has the /bucks play in so thyey don't have their own arena.

Yes, we're talking about the practice center. Sns is claiming that Crean had this massive advantage over his predecessors there because of this practice center. What he fails to note is he took his team to the Final Four before that practice center was even built, and the funding for that practice center became a reality because he took his team to the Final Four where contributions poured in. Essentially, he's blaming Tom Crean for having the success to build the practice facility. The anger and bitterness is so strong with this guy that is the level he has stooped to. Now he's making so many errors in his postings about conferences, or who played for RMK, etc, that he's frazzled. He needs a timeout.

Ohh ok, in my defense it's hard to keep things straight with you, you shift what you say so frequently

One time it's extremely competitive, next its extremely competitive for MU....things change so fast with you

The better response by you would have been, "I'm sorry. I didn't read properly. I stated something incorrectly, again. I will try to do better".

Yes, we're talking about the practice center. Sns is claiming that Crean had this massive advantage over his predecessors there because of this practice center. What he fails to note is he took his team to the Final Four before that practice center was even built, and the funding for that practice center became a reality because he took his team to the Final Four where contributions poured in. Essentially, he's blaming Tom Crean for having the success to build the practice facility. The anger and bitterness is so strong with this guy that is the level he has stooped to. Now he's making so many errors in his postings about conferences, or who played for RMK, etc, that he's frazzled. He needs a timeout.
You do make me laugh. It's fun to watch you spin things, it's impressive in a sophomoric humor kinda way

The Crean hype machine when he already left the school and the comments come from the school he just left? To play that back, the man left the school, the school put out their own information, but apparently the Crean hype machine was left in tact back at the school he left to promote the guy that is now gone. Is that what you are saying? I'd buy your argument if the statement came from IU or whatever school Crean was currently at, but not the former school that he just left, breaking his contract and leaving them high and dry.

You don't believe that MU, or any other program for that matter, wouldn't attempt to keep forward momentum going after Crean left for IU? Or do you believe the AD just threw-up his hands and said, "I give up. Crean's gone and it's over"?

I think they do a pretty good job at seeding as well

Not me, if seeding includes assignment to venues. The NCAA never seems to send Duke and Kentucky to Pocatello or even LA or Seattle, even in their down years. Duke and Kentucky always seem to play within driving distance of home.

You don't believe that MU, or any other program for that matter, wouldn't attempt to keep forward momentum going after Crean left for IU? Or do you believe the AD just threw-up his hands and said, "I give up. Crean's gone and it's over"?

Yes, I would absolutely believe that and it is the proper play. However, here is where I think you're wrong. Any school that has a coach leave from them you want to keep the momentum, certainly, but what you don't want to do is tell the world that the guy that just left rebuilt everything and is the reason we are where we are today. That tells the world you just lost your best asset. There is no point in doing that, no good can come from it unless you feel like saying it anyway. The AD or any AD worth his\her weight will not throw their hands up, but they rarely are going to say how instrumental the previous coach was unless it is heartfelt and sincere. Typically you thank them publicly for their contributions, and immediately go into high gear to find the next person.

Here's the other part I disagree with on your initial statement. The comments came from Marquette, not the Crean camp. You had said this was the work of the Crean PR machine, but why would Marquette have the Crean PR machine in play since Crean left?

Last edited:
I gave you a time frame, some of which when I was there, others when I wasn't but colleagues were. Yes, colleagues talk. Colleagues share experiences.

Just where did you give dates? Such as 1979-86 et al . . .
Still no answer?

All you said was 70s 80s 90s . . . like the entire time Knight was there. Hell you can't even give us a specific time frame? Typical . . .

Here's the other part I disagree with on your initial statement. The comments came from Marquette, not the Crean camp. You had said this was the work of the Crean PR machine, but why would Marquette have the Crean PR machine in play since Crean left?

That's a fair question. Perhaps there were some in the A.D.'s office that were as supportive of Crean -- even in his absence -- as you are, for example.

Still no answer?

All you said was 70s 80s 90s . . . like the entire time Knight was there. Hell you can't even give us a specific time frame? Typical . . .

Correct. 70's. 80's. 90's. What do you not understand? Entirely the point. Some years nothing, other years girl problems. Some years weed, or public intoxication. Some years a combination. Again, what do you not understand?

That's a fair question. Perhaps there were some in the A.D.'s office that were as supportive of Crean -- even in his absence -- as you are, for example.

The university puts out a press release, cleared by many people, including the upper echelons of the university. This is standard practice and PR 101. You don't go saying the guy that just left us rebuilt the program and we wish him well unless you truly mean it. Otherwise you're signaling to the world that we're screwed, and to use your terminology, throwing your hands up in defeat.

If you care to elaborate on the last part of your sentence, I'm all ears.

The university puts out a press release, cleared by many people, including the upper echelons of the university. This is standard practice and PR 101. You don't go saying the guy that just left us rebuilt the program and we wish him well unless you truly mean it. Otherwise you're signaling to the world that we're screwed, and to use your terminology, throwing your hands up in defeat.

Yeah PR guys never oversell anything/anyone when talking to the press....dws

Correct. 70's. 80's. 90's. What do you not understand? Entirely the point. Some years nothing, other years girl problems. Some years weed, or public intoxication. Some years a combination. Again, what do you not understand?
Please stop. You weren't around in any kind of official role. You've been exposed on several occasions.

Not me, if seeding includes assignment to venues. The NCAA never seems to send Duke and Kentucky to Pocatello or even LA or Seattle, even in their down years. Duke and Kentucky always seem to play within driving distance of home.
Duke lost to Oregon in Anaheim this past March. "Never" isn't accurate.

Yeah PR guys never oversell anything/anyone when talking to the press....dws

No one would disagree with your statement, but apparently nuance with what was said was too difficult for you to understand.

Type in rebuild Marquette Tom Crean and there are a slew of articles over the years. From the somewhat funny last year in comparing the other Tom Crean (the explorer) to just pure basketball stuff. You can do it, I have confidence Google and you are are a work in progress.

http://www.indystar.com/story/recru.../the-other-tom-crean-dublin-ireland/29036653/

See, that's the thing for me. I would be as diplomatic and positive as I could possibly be whether it was sincere or not. There's simply nothing to be gained, otherwise.

With regard to your last, you're an ardent Crean supporter and you carefully frame and shape your responses to reflect that support. There's nothing wrong with that, though we don't share that position. Nonetheless, I do enjoy your posts as odd as that may seem given our differences on Crean.

A few days ago you said I wasn't around. Now you are saying not in any official role. Well, you are making progress.
Allow me to clarify: You were neither "around" nor did you hold any athletic administrator role with IU. The banner gaffe, among other things, exposed you. Please stop.

Reactions: Rakkasan29
See, that's the thing for me. I would be as diplomatic and positive as I could possibly be whether it was sincere or not. There's simply nothing to be gained, otherwise.

With regard to your last, you're an ardent Crean supporter and you carefully frame and shape your responses to reflect that support. There's nothing wrong with that, though we don't share that position. Nonetheless, I do enjoy your posts as odd as that may seem given our differences on Crean.

I'm an ardent supporter of the Indiana head basketball coach. When Crean leaves, I will be an ardent supporter of the next Indiana basketball coach, as long as that coach competes, kids graduate, we aren't breaking NCAA rules.

The anti-Crean stuff here compels me to bring some facts or the rest of the information against some of the half truths, or parsed information typically found here. When Crean leaves, I'll still be here, pulling for IU as I have for decades. In the meantime, I will remain the ardent supporter of the IU basketball coach unless he starts breaking NCAA rules that put us in trouble with the NCAA, we start consistently not competing for NCAA berths and Big Ten titles, or his kids stop going to class and we have a swarm of academic misfits and criminals. He got close on the last one with a few kids, and I trust that won't be happening again.

Allow me to clarify: You were neither "around" nor did you hold any athletic administrator role with IU. The banner gaffe, among other things, exposed you. Please stop.

You are incorrect on both accounts, but the only way for me to prove it to you is with pictures, media guides and other materials.

I'm an ardent supporter of the Indiana head basketball coach. When Crean leaves, I will be an ardent supporter of the next Indiana basketball coach, as long as that coach competes, kids graduate, we aren't breaking NCAA rules.

The anti-Crean stuff here compels me to bring some facts or the rest of the information against some of the half truths, or parsed information typically found here. When Crean leaves, I'll still be here, pulling for IU as I have for decades. In the meantime, I will remain the ardent supporter of the IU basketball coach unless he starts breaking NCAA rules that put us in trouble with the NCAA, we start consistently not competing for NCAA berths and Big Ten titles, or his kids stop going to class and we have a swarm of academic misfits and criminals. He got close on the last one with a few kids, and I trust that won't be happening again.
Half truths? That's a half more than most of your posts

You parse info more than any ten of us combined

Half truths? That's a half more than most of your posts

You parse info more than any ten of us combined

To this day you still don't get nuance. Probably because you didn't attend Indiana University, where logic and the ability to think outside of pure black and white is taught.

Your interpretation of parse is lost on you, completely. When you compare things and try to make them like for like without examining fully and then you are called on it - you call that parsing. Most intelligent people call it filling in the rest of the puzzle.

Find that diploma yet?

To this day you still don't get nuance. Probably because you didn't attend Indiana University, where logic and the ability to think outside of pure black and white is taught.

Your interpretation of parse is lost on you, completely. When you compare things and try to make them like for like without examining fully and then you are called on it - you call that parsing. Most intelligent people call it filling in the rest of the puzzle.

Find that diploma yet?

You say it's nuance, but it's really just you cherry picking data to fit your agenda

You are incorrect on both accounts, but the only way for me to prove it to you is with pictures, media guides and other materials.
Great. You can post at least some of that here, or simply let us know to whom you directly reported during your IU tenure. That should be easy to do, as it will be to verify.

You say it's nuance, but it's really just you cherry picking data to fit your agenda

If there is any cherry picking going on, it is to combat the absurdities that some of you guys state. Did you check in the garage for the diploma? It's ok to be an IU fan and not gone to IU. There are many in the state that fit that description. It's ok.

If there is any cherry picking going on, it is to combat the absurdities that some of you guys state. Did you check in the garage for the diploma? It's ok to be an IU fan and not gone to IU. There are many in the state that fit that description. It's ok.[/QUOTE
I'm not the one making fictitious claims, that's your act and You're act is getting boring....yawn

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT