ADVERTISEMENT

The SEC to become even stronger in baseball...

ptrich

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 2, 2001
with the addition of Texas and Oklahoma. Already considered the strongest conference, this expansion would seal the deal if there is anyone out there that would want to debate the issue. I was looking at some of the salaries that baseball head coaches get in the SEC and here is a list of the top six schools in the conference based on what they pay their head coach annually:

Tenn - $1.5 million
Tex A&M -$1.45 million
Miss St. - $1.25 million
Arkansas - $1.25 million
LSU - $1.2 million
Ole Miss - $1.2 million

Right now, Oklahoma would be dead last in that conference, paying their head coach $410,000 annually. Texas is set to sign their head coach to a new extension at $1.2 million annually. When you consider that Jeff Mercer is receiving about $235,000 annually (the last I saw), you can understand how difficult it can be to hang on to successful coaches if finances are the only consideration. I haven't seen a list of what the SEC pays their assistant coaches, and that would be interesting.

Reactions: Irregulars
with the addition of Texas and Oklahoma. Already considered the strongest conference, this expansion would seal the deal if there is anyone out there that would want to debate the issue. I was looking at some of the salaries that baseball head coaches get in the SEC and here is a list of the top six schools in the conference based on what they pay their head coach annually:

Tenn - $1.5 million
Tex A&M -$1.45 million
Miss St. - $1.25 million
Arkansas - $1.25 million
LSU - $1.2 million
Ole Miss - $1.2 million

Right now, Oklahoma would be dead last in that conference, paying their head coach $410,000 annually. Texas is set to sign their head coach to a new extension at $1.2 million annually. When you consider that Jeff Mercer is receiving about $235,000 annually (the last I saw), you can understand how difficult it can be to hang on to successful coaches if finances are the only consideration. I haven't seen a list of what the SEC pays their assistant coaches, and that would be interesting.
I can tell you that at one SEC school the assistants make 2 to 3 times more than what IU pays their head coach. I’d say assistant salaries across the SEC range from between 250-750k. That doesn’t include the Volunteer assistant salary as that may vary depending on each schools assistant pool money.

Also note that those are base salaries for coaches, most can earn more by the contract “extras”. Things like winning conference/conference tournament, regionals, supers, CWS, and National Championship can stack up. Some of those coaches could make up to around a million in extras depending on their contracts.

Reactions: ptrich
I can tell you that at one SEC school the assistants make 2 to 3 times more than what IU pays their head coach. I’d say assistant salaries across the SEC range from between 250-750k. That doesn’t include the Volunteer assistant salary as that may vary depending on each schools assistant pool money.

Also note that those are base salaries for coaches, most can earn more by the contract “extras”. Things like winning conference/conference tournament, regionals, supers, CWS, and National Championship can stack up. Some of those coaches could make up to around a million in extras depending on their contracts.
Yes you are correct. Those were base salaries that were listed and there is certainly other streams of income involved.

2020 Compensation & elements beyond salalry

Given the attendance for baseball in the south it follows as it does in football and basketball the more nationwide revenue college sports salaries are higher across the board with higher sport specific income. There are exceptions, e.g. Marshall wanted to be a national power in a televised sport. They invested disproportionally in soccer and rather quickly achieved their goal.

Erik Bakich and to an extent Coach Mercer have spoken out about the potential for baseball, specifically B1G baseball, to make considerable income improvement. Later start and finish to season, now more possible with later MLB draft, and a series of issues where the B1G has not been helpful, e.g. scholarship #’s, & 3rd paid assistant*, and Covid inspired restrictions last season no out of conference games, no fans.

In any case Coach Mercer has recruited well for the mid-west and has had kids drafted. Last year was a set back and many factors contributed IMO, 2022 is important.

I believe the “volunteer” assistants are not salaried, hence the attempt to allow a 3 paid assistant last year. Frequently they run camps and are paid from the pool of money generated there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT