ADVERTISEMENT

"The Perfect Storm"...

scribe56

All-American
Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
I think negotiations for Crean's resignation were underway long ago. I predict he'll call this a successful season if IU has a decent finish and walk away feeling like he's a winner. Just pray I'm right about this.

I think negotiations for Crean's resignation were underway long ago. I predict he'll call this a successful season if IU has a decent finish and walk away feeling like he's a winner. Just pray I'm right about this.

Don't make me. Just don't make me.

The failure to meet/exceed expectations is still coming. If anything, a couple of wins against ranked teams in February will make him more marketable.

Reactions: Rakkasan29

The only thing I know is that I'm wrong on nearly every prediction.

As for Crean, he already considers this a successful season. It's now officially a 20-win season. Nevermind that half of those wins were over teams that were brain dead.

I really hope you're right scribe because I don't think he's going to get fired if he pulls off another couple wins like last night.

I'm with Hank on this one. Our only hope is that some NBA owner or GM gets conned by Crean and "steals" him from us. The BiG just sucks too much to completely torpedo him this year.

The only scenario where things go the way we want is the scenario presented in the OP. That being that at some earlier point in the season all parties came to the conclusion that the marriage was over and a change was going to be made regardless of the season's outcome. That's the only way Crean is gone.

It goes without saying that I don't buy into this. But it's the only hope we've got.

It's going to come down to the tourney. Lose in the first weekend and he's gone no matter what. Sweet 16 and he's probably back.

I'm with Hank on this one. Our only hope is that some NBA owner or GM gets conned by Crean and "steals" him from us. The BiG just sucks too much to completely torpedo him this year.

If you thought Spreewell/PJ Carlisimo was bad, just wait until cream starts barking his nonsense at grown men who know better.

Reactions: dr.jb

My thought for the last few years hasn't changed. The next 'successful' season he has at IU will be his last. He'll parlay that into a well paying job at some school that doesn't give two craps about basketball. Where the fans won't know he's full of crap.

The expectations are high for this team, though. Which means they won't live up to them. Tom almost always loses to a lower seed in the tournament.

I think that if Bob Knight agrees to come back, Crean will disappear and Fred Glass will bury the body.

If Brad Stevens says "I'll come," Fred will try to find a way to get Crean hired away, but wouldn't fire him to get The Brad.

(Frankly, I figure if The Brad had ever said - even in his sleep - "I want the IU job," Crean would have disappeared and C-$ would have buried the body.)

In short, "Coach stays," even if they vote again..., and Myra Fleener tosses C-$ out a hotel window..

It's going to come down to the tourney. Lose in the first weekend and he's gone no matter what. Sweet 16 and he's probably back.
That's exactly correct. IU basketball was built on winning league titles and especially for what they did in tournaments. This team has done a little better than I thought, but the completion, especially in the league, has been really bad overall, so I still don't know how good we are away from home.

But I think it's about the tourneys. Win a couple in the Conference and in the NCAA and he'll be back and extended. I can almost guarantee that. Anything short of that, and it's really a crap shoot in my mind.

If you thought Spreewell/PJ Carlisimo was bad, just wait until cream starts barking his nonsense at grown men who know better.
That's why I'd be shocked if an NBA franchise would ever really consider hiring Crean. I don't know if he'd last two weeks into a season.

If the last 2 years didn't get Crean shown the f-ing door, nothing will, especially after the "success" so far of this season.

His excuses for this season are ready made: "This wasn't the front court we were supposed to have" and "well, after Blackmon went down it diminished our chances tremendously" etc etc.

I fully expect Glass to extend Crean. I don't see Crean leaving IU unless he is forced too, and as long as Fred "I enable mediocrity" Glass is in charge, nothing will change.

There is no hope. The basketball gods abandoned us when we were up by 13 on Duke in the first half in the 1992 Final Four. Since then, they have taunted and teased with a few brief glimpses of glory, but the rest of the time they torture and mind**** us with Mike D-d-d-d-d-avis, Chief Me-make-um-phone-call, and now the tyrannical tanned tweaking twat.

There is no hope. Surrender. Take up origami, or play cribbage with a neighbor, but we're done for years as a basketball program. "The Glory of old IU..." is just that, dusty-ass banners, but this is the new IU, where we spend small fortunes on updating stadiums and arenas, but fill them mediocrity. We (mostly) do not hang new banners in Assembly Hall, we just fill it with ads and pretty lights and give morons the illusion of being an elite school.

There is no hope, so stop wasting your time and money.

Reactions: Moops
If the last 2 years didn't get Crean shown the f-ing door, nothing will, especially after the "success" so far of this season.

His excuses for this season are ready made: "This wasn't the front court we were supposed to have" and "well, after Blackmon went down it diminished our chances tremendously" etc etc.

I fully expect Glass to extend Crean. I don't see Crean leaving IU unless he is forced too, and as long as Fred "I enable mediocrity" Glass is in charge, nothing will change.

There is no hope. The basketball gods abandoned us when we were up by 13 on Duke in the first half in the 1992 Final Four. Since then, they have taunted and teased with a few brief glimpses of glory, but the rest of the time they torture and mind**** us with Mike D-d-d-d-d-avis, Chief Me-make-um-phone-call, and now the tyrannical tanned tweaking twat.

There is no hope. Surrender. Take up origami, or play cribbage with a neighbor, but we're done for years as a basketball program. "The Glory of old IU..." is just that, dusty-ass banners, but this is the new IU, where we spend small fortunes on updating stadiums and arenas, but fill them mediocrity. We (mostly) do not hang new banners in Assembly Hall, we just fill it with ads and pretty lights and give morons the illusion of being an elite school.

Good God, man. You're even bringing me down.

I'm gonna guess that your Valentines Day will lack carnal knowledge

That was hilarious. But honestly I don't know how Glass could extend Crean again without a FF birth. He'd instantly lose half the fan base forever with the stroke of a pen.

That's exactly correct. IU basketball was built on winning league titles and especially for what they did in tournaments. This team has done a little better than I thought, but the completion, especially in the league, has been really bad overall, so I still don't know how good we are away from home.

But I think it's about the tourneys. Win a couple in the Conference and in the NCAA and he'll be back and extended. I can almost guarantee that. Anything short of that, and it's really a crap shoot in my mind.
He's not getting extended, no matter what. Crean's current contract at IU is almost certainly his last. We're just arguing about timing now.

I was adrift in an ocean of dark despair, and then your post like a beacon from a lighthouse, lit the way to shore.

Or you are an overly optimist retard.

I pray to Cthulhu you are correct.
I've heard too many related rumors from too many unrelated people the past year not to believe it. Crean was on a very short leash this year. Too short for a win against Iowa to save his job.

He's not getting extended, no matter what. Crean's current contract at IU is almost certainly his last. We're just arguing about timing now.

I wouldn't be so sure. All it would take it one magical run in the tourney and Glass would extend him forever. Mike Davis did it. Why not Crean?

This year the NCAA tourney will also be as wide open as it has ever been. There's no Duke, UK, or Wisconsin like last season. A lot of good teams but certainly no great ones. All it would take is a lucky draw and we could certainly get to the FF. If that were to happen I don't see how Glass wouldn't extend him. I think it's more likely that we lose in the opening weekend but a FF or certainly an Elite 8 is not out of the realm of possibility.

I wouldn't be so sure. All it would take it one magical run in the tourney and Glass would extend him forever. Mike Davis did it. Why not Crean?

This year the NCAA tourney will also be as wide open as it has ever been. There's no Duke, UK, or Wisconsin like last season. A lot of good teams but certainly no great ones. All it would take is a lucky draw and we could certainly get to the FF. If that were to happen I don't see how Glass wouldn't extend him. I think it's more likely that we lose in the opening weekend but a FF or certainly an Elite 8 is not out of the realm of possibility.
Because Glass isn't as retarded as we think he is, and he doesn't have final say, at any rate, on this issue. He's getting a lot of pressure on this.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT