ADVERTISEMENT

The official final-final "Hey there's a Chance" Post

IMO they have to beat Michigan and Illinois to get in. I think they have to win more than one but they don't need to win it all either. Bottom line two Ws and you're in the discussion, three punch your ticket.
Now what will actually happen? They'll probably lose to Michigan but if they don't Illinois is a bad match-up, don't see that happening.

Maybe they can make a run in the NIT lol? Ughhhh. At least iubb has won a couple in a row. 😀

Its literally the worst matchup for iu. Michigan owned us at home buzzer to buzzer and we have no answer for Dickinson. Is there a chance sure but I am guessing the autopsy starts friday as well. Its the BTT after all.
With or without Dickinson, we are going to struggle. However, he did not play vs OSU. He was out and Houstan was 0-10 from the field. And they still beat OSU.

What gives me hope is how Michigan shot lights out vs us in our one matchup. They could not miss. And we were coming off the high from our Purdue win. Different venue and different circumstances.

We will play Michigan tough and they will not shoot like they did last time. As I said in opening post, tons of opportunities to get rid of some demons in this tourney and it starts with Michigan. 8 straight losses vs them by an avg margin of 16! That is total dominance. It’s almost unheard of.

I was driving during the first MI game so just listened to Fischer on the radio and didn’t see it. He made it sound like IU didn’t give ANY effort defensively in that game. Based off that, I expect another really good effort.

I prefer mi over State. State is a better defensive team, mi around 83rd in Defensive efficiency, but top 20 offensively. I think that’s better for us, as I would much rather have an easier time scoring, have to rely on our D and not be in a game that is a wrestling match in the 50s scoring wise.

mi hit everything they were throwing up in the first game, but fish made it sound like our defense and effort was just atrocious. I expect that to change.

I was driving during the first MI game so just listened to Fischer on the radio and didn’t see it. He made it sound like IU didn’t give ANY effort defensively in that game. Based off that, I expect another really good effort.

I prefer mi over State. State is a better defensive team, mi around 83rd in Defensive efficiency, but top 20 offensively. I think that’s better for us, as I would much rather have an easier time scoring, have to rely on our D and not be in a game that is a wrestling match in the 50s scoring wise.

mi hit everything they were throwing up in the first game, but fish made it sound like our defense and effort was just atrocious. I expect that to change.
Overall effort was more of an issue than defense, though obviously connected. I would say it was more about intensity but again, this is semantics. Michigan was truly on fire though. They couldn't miss. Did our lack of effort / intensity contribute to this? Sure it did. But can't blame it all on that. They truly looked unstoppable. I think my comment that day was Michigan beats every team in the country on that day. We can't lose to two bubble teams in a row and have a chance to get in. Rutgers beat us in the proverbial "play in game" and now Michigan. Michigan beats us after winning at OSU and they are in. Should they beat us and then Illinois, they are absolutely in and we are out for sure.

Likely 2 to be in and that is a tall order as described above. Get one and hope the name and the fact we sell a lot of seats gets us a "break".

Guys, you’re all talking about how MICH shot the last time. Another problem is how IND shot the last time, and most of the season for that matter. That’s going to be our undoing.

Reactions: aajohn2000
With or without Dickinson, we are going to struggle. However, he did not play vs OSU. He was out and Houstan was 0-10 from the field. And they still beat OSU.

What gives me hope is how Michigan shot lights out vs us in our one matchup. They could not miss. And we were coming off the high from our Purdue win. Different venue and different circumstances.

We will play Michigan tough and they will not shoot like they did last time. As I said in opening post, tons of opportunities to get rid of some demons in this tourney and it starts with Michigan. 8 straight losses vs them by an avg margin of 16! That is total dominance. It’s almost unheard of.
They will not shoot the 3 better if our defense steps up. Alot of their threes in the first game were wide open shots.

Reactions: aajohn2000
didn't you want to do some stupid avatar bet? I didn't respond. Prob won't again. Money talks

You could've countered with cash. I was just thinking of your wallet. Too bad. I guess I could've used some extra spending money.

we currently 100% control our own destiny, so whatever chance we have, is what we do with that chance.

Wake Forrest about to go down. That very well could have just burst their bubble and they will drop below IU in the pecking order. That's a big help to IU's chances.

Xavier also in a dogfight with Butler at the moment. If Xavier goes down too, that's another bubble team that really can't afford a bad loss.

Reactions: kkott
Guys, you’re all talking about how MICH shot the last time. Another problem is how IND shot the last time, and most of the season for that matter. That’s going to be our undoing.
Yep. MICH 11/17 from 3 last game, 2/11 from 3 this half, and they're still up 13 (mainly because we're 11/29 from the floor and 2/4 at the foul line).

This was never about MICH shooting out of their minds. This was and is all about us sucking in almost every facet of the game, then and now.

Reactions: BigMobe
Looking at the bright side of the tourney, we have a chance to make some accomplishments and end some woeful streaks while also getting some demons off our back.

1). Beat Michigan. We have lost to them 8 games in a row with an avg margin of defeat of 16. In short, these games aren't even remotely close. Michigan is on the outside looking in just like us, albeit probably further away, but they have the same scenario as IU. Win the BTT and they are in the dance.
2). Beat Michigan and a rematch vs Wiscy. Another team that has owned us and won the league outright. We blew both games vs them. Wiscy will be trying to win the BTT so they can secure a 1 seed in the dance. So, certainly not going to lay down vs IU, but hey, played them very competitively both times and IU just pooped their pants in 2H in Madison and final 3 minutes in Bloomington. Again, "there's a chance" to win here.
3). Make it to Saturday of the BTT.
- The BTT began in 1998 making 2022 the tournaments 25th year. Obviously the 2020 year ended with IU playing the last game of the BTT and subsequently the last NCAA game played that season due to Covid. Subsequently, this is the only season IU has managed to go undefeated in the BTT.
- IU has made the semifinal played on Saturday four times out of 23 opportunities and is 1-3 in those games making the final game in 2001.
- IU's winning percentage in the BTT is .361 with only three teams worse. Of those three, Maryland, Nebraska and NW, only NW was in the conference dating back to the start of the tourney in 1998.
- If IU manages to upset Michigan and then Wisconsin, IU will be in the semifinal for only the 5th time with the last time being 2013.

The bottom line is this is the final final opportunity for IU to pull it together and make their case for a bid or a long shot automatic bid to the tourney. We have a chance to win against Michigan who owns us in recent history and then a redemption game vs Wiscy. Should we accomplish that, then we are one game from the final and two games from a BTT championship and auto bid to the dance. Is this a long shot? Hell yes it is! Do I think we will do it? I do not and do not believe we will even see Wiscy on Friday. But hey, there's a chance! Let's go!
Michigan: ✅

Bring on the Illinois. Let’s Go!

Yep. MICH 11/17 from 3 last game, 2/11 from 3 this half, and they're still up 13 (mainly because we're 11/29 from the floor and 2/4 at the foul line).

This was never about MICH shooting out of their minds. This was and is all about us sucking in almost every facet of the game, then and now.
Issue in 1H yesterday was the foul line. That and Indiana not hitting gears that are obviously there. Michigan going ice cold and being lackadaisical with the ball certainly helped our cause as well. But the energy and intensity. Man was that great to see. We are going to need every bit of it again today.

Reactions: SRIV94 and .Gerdis
Looking at the bright side of the tourney, we have a chance to make some accomplishments and end some woeful streaks while also getting some demons off our back.

1). Beat Michigan. We have lost to them 8 games in a row with an avg margin of defeat of 16. In short, these games aren't even remotely close. Michigan is on the outside looking in just like us, albeit probably further away, but they have the same scenario as IU. Win the BTT and they are in the dance.
2). Beat Michigan and a rematch vs Wiscy. Another team that has owned us and won the league outright. We blew both games vs them. Wiscy will be trying to win the BTT so they can secure a 1 seed in the dance. So, certainly not going to lay down vs IU, but hey, played them very competitively both times and IU just pooped their pants in 2H in Madison and final 3 minutes in Bloomington. Again, "there's a chance" to win here.
- The BTT began in 1998 making 2022 the tournaments 25th year. Obviously the 2020 year ended with IU playing the last game of the BTT and subsequently the last NCAA game played that season due to Covid. Subsequently, this is the only season IU has managed to go undefeated in the BTT.
- IU has made the semifinal played on Saturday four times out of 23 opportunities and is 1-3 in those games making the final game in 2001.
- IU's winning percentage in the BTT is .361 with only three teams worse. Of those three, Maryland, Nebraska and NW, only NW was in the conference dating back to the start of the tourney in 1998.
- If IU manages to upset Michigan and then Wisconsin, IU will be in the semifinal for only the 5th time with the last time being 2013.

The bottom line is this is the final final opportunity for IU to pull it together and make their case for a bid or a long shot automatic bid to the tourney. We have a chance to win against Michigan who owns us in recent history and then a redemption game vs Wiscy. Should we accomplish that, then we are one game from the final and two games from a BTT championship and auto bid to the dance. Is this a long shot? Hell yes it is! Do I think we will do it? I do not and do not believe we will even see Wiscy on Friday. But hey, there's a chance! Let's go!

Michigan: ✅
Illinois: ✅

We get winner of two teams who also beat us in the regular season.
We have won 2 games in BTT for the first time since 2003.

In all likelihood, have also punched our ticket to the dance. I believe the boys truly came to the tourney to win the whole damn thing. Let’s go!!!!

I wasn't posting "hillbilly bullshit"... was simply expressing statistical odds.... Based on this week in Indy I would think the likelihood that the 2 beloved leaders hook up is increasing by the day

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT