ADVERTISEMENT

The Miracle of Minneapolis: Proof the American Dream is alive!

mjvcaj

Hall of Famer
Jun 25, 2005
http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/03/the-miracle-of-minneapolis/384975/

Among residents under 35, the Twin Cities place in the top 10 for highest college-graduation rate, highest median earnings, and lowest poverty rate, according to the most recent census figures. And yet, according to the Center for Housing Policy, low-income families can rent a home and commute to work more affordably in Minneapolis-St. Paul than in all but one other major metro area (Washington, D.C.). Perhaps most impressive, the Twin Cities have the highest employment rate for 18-to-34-year-olds in the country.

The Twin Cities area is an interesting case

in that it defies the general population shift away from old and cold industrial areas toward warmer climes. I recall the Twin Cities ranks high in the number of Fortune 500 companies calling that home. I've always been surprised that Minneapolis shows up on almost anybody's list of the best cities for bicycling. But then maybe they sell studded bike tires and 2wd bikes up there.

Minneapolis has wonderful parks and biking trails.

I just moved here two years ago, and have been impressed with the number of bikers, Even in the cold weather we have bikers! Although the winters are very cold, Minneapolis is a good place to live.

It had the highest number of F500 per capita at one point

I'm not sure if that is still the case, but the number of large private businesses is just as impressive. People do not realize how big Cargill truly is. Its tentacles are in everything.

It was recently ranked as the fittest city by Shape. The amount of people that are physically active is truly impressive. There are many parallels between Minneapolis and Denver and, coincidentally, lots of transplants to/from and business between the metro areas.

Have you read John Sanford's Lucas Davenport novels?

Davenport is a tough SOB Minneapolis cop who is a poster boy for excessive force. But they are good stories. Read them in order.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT