ADVERTISEMENT

The 'Mad Men' finale was brilliant.

I was about ready to start a rant about it to my wife, but the ending was very clever indeed.

Reactions: C-$
Although I know many won't get it...

So which do you think it is?

BIG SPOILER COMING>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

-
--
--

Did Don go back and make the Coke commercial himself? Or were they telling us that Dick found his peace and life went on without him? I immediately thought that Don went back and made the iconic Coke commercial. The wife disagrees.
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
--
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

-
--
--

Did Don go back and make the Coke commercial himself? Or were they telling us that Dick found his peace and life went on without him? I immediately thought that Don went back and made the iconic Coke commercial. The wife disagrees.
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
--
-
-

He went back.

His smile represented when the idea fully hit him.

Don is who he is... Him, not his name.

I get the Coke part (not Joan's) but all and all....wasn't that impressed with finale. I'm willing to chalk it up to how do you end a show with so many angles? Probably the most difficult script to write and not everyone will be pleased.

I never believed in the DB Cooper stuff.

I get the Coke part (not Joan's) but all and all....wasn't that impressed with finale. I'm willing to chalk it up to how do you end a show with so many angles? Probably the most difficult script to write and not everyone will be pleased.

I never believed in the DB Cooper stuff.

The DB Cooper thing was interesting, but it'd have fallen flat. I mentioned it a couple of weeks ago to three different people (ages 35-55) and none of them had any idea who DB Cooper was. I knew the story, but it was probably far too obscure for a mass audience, especially anyone under 50.

The other storyline that never played out like the speculation (from a couple of seasons ago) was Megan Draper as a Sharon Tate figure.

I'm OK with what happened to the characters, but the actual final episode was pretty boring.

SPOILER ALERT

I watched Mad Men, but I never really identified with any of the characters - didn't buy them as "real" - actually disliked most of them. Didn't buy many of the situations they put the characters in. Still don't buy Draper as a guy who would get into TM - too cynical. Going "on the road" in the 70's instead instead of the 50's or 60's was never gonna work. The 70's was a wasteland.

The Wire stands unmatched.

However, as the last frames played, I thought maybe the credits of the commercial would include somebody named Don Draper or Dick Whitman. THAT would have been excellent, as if the show had always been headed there from the beginning.

I looked up the song - part of the reality fits the show.

The idea came from an actual ad man with a company actually named McCann - a guy named Bill Backer ("Don Draper"), who got delayed on a flight to London, watched everybody get mad, then get happy over Coke's. Backer wrote the line "I'd like to buy the world a Coke" on a napkin.

http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/ccmphtml/colaadv.html

He went back.

His smile represented when the idea fully hit him.

Don is who he is... Him, not his name.
Agreed.

Creator Matthew Weiner is doing an interview this week and has said he will openly discuss the finale...so we'll see. I thought the finale was great.

The DB Cooper thing was interesting, but it'd have fallen flat. I mentioned it a couple of weeks ago to three different people (ages 35-55) and none of them had any idea who DB Cooper was. I knew the story, but it was probably far too obscure for a mass audience, especially anyone under 50.

The other storyline that never played out like the speculation (from a couple of seasons ago) was Megan Draper as a Sharon Tate figure.

I'm OK with what happened to the characters, but the actual final episode was pretty boring.
100% agree

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

-
--
--

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
--
-
-
Of course he did. Did you see how the girl with pigtails from the commune was in the commercial?

Reactions: burnthemallralphie
SPOILER ALERT

I watched Mad Men, but I never really identified with any of the characters - didn't buy them as "real" - actually disliked most of them. Didn't buy many of the situations they put the characters in. Still don't buy Draper as a guy who would get into TM - too cynical. Going "on the road" in the 70's instead instead of the 50's or 60's was never gonna work. The 70's was a wasteland.

The Wire stands unmatched.

However, as the last frames played, I thought maybe the credits of the commercial would include somebody named Don Draper or Dick Whitman. THAT would have been excellent, as if the show had always been headed there from the beginning.

I looked up the song - part of the reality fits the show.

The idea came from an actual ad man with a company actually named McCann - a guy named Bill Backer ("Don Draper"), who got delayed on a flight to London, watched everybody get mad, then get happy over Coke's. Backer wrote the line "I'd like to buy the world a Coke" on a napkin.

http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/ccmphtml/colaadv.html
Also, as a former ad agency girl, McCann still exists. The ownership and name have changed over time, but the agency is still around today and my company is one of their clients.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT