ADVERTISEMENT

The Frightening Rise of AI and Deepfakes

DCGeneral

Hall of Famer
Jul 5, 2001
It was kind of cute when the deep fakes were easily to spot. Or computer chat responses were woefully awkward. Now it is scary out there.

Consider this video where Xiaoma had a video chat with a Chinese guy who has deepfakes where he passes himself as a Elon Musk lookalike. It is one thing to do a deepfake for TikTok. Seeing him doing a real time chat with that technology is different. It's pretty amazing how realistic it is.

Or check out this piece on CNN. Now one can upload a little bit of your voice, and then you can type out dialogue that sounds as if you are the one saying it live.

Realistic deepfakes, AI chat bots like ChatGPT and Bing A.I. - it's getting crazy out there.

Reactions: Indianaftw
We are entering a dangerous time. These deep fakes will allow scammers to contact people and look/sound like a relative in real need of $5000 in prepaid debit cards.

Or worse, someone will be able to create a deep fake of US Marines assaulting a military target.

In a different but similar vein, NPR had a story of a new AI beauty filter on Tik Tok that was freaking people out. It basically makes tweaks to one's face to make one look the best it can while still being the person. They said unlike other filters, one can't tell this one has been applied unless one knew the face to begin with. They are worried how this will impact youth who already feel a need to live up to some perfect image.

We are entering a dangerous time. These deep fakes will allow scammers to contact people and look/sound like a relative in real need of $5000 in prepaid debit cards.

Or worse, someone will be able to create a deep fake of US Marines assaulting a military target.

In a different but similar vein, NPR had a story of a new AI beauty filter on Tik Tok that was freaking people out. It basically makes tweaks to one's face to make one look the best it can while still being the person. They said unlike other filters, one can't tell this one has been applied unless one knew the face to begin with. They are worried how this will impact youth who already feel a need to live up to some perfect image.
Yeah that filter sounds awful. The people who create stuff like that have a special place in hell. Did you happen to catch the name of that filter?

It will be like Ready Player One. We can just be our avatar and look like whatever we want.

I’d be a fool not to

I put off submitting a photo for our work website for 3 years, but I was finally dragged into it a couple of weeks ago. I really, really, don't like being photographed. Now they make that darn filter. Not that I have a TikTok account but that might have done it.

• Haha
Reactions: mcmurtry66

Honestly it's getting into an ethics issue at this point and I don't feel like we're treating it as such.

Reactions: BigMobe
I brought this up a year or two ago with regards to politics. The day is coming soon when a political candidate is going to produce a deep fake of their opponent having relations with a goat, and it is going to look realistic enough that 5% of the people who see it (and I am making no distinction about which side here) are going to absolutely believe it and not be able to be convinced otherwise. It will be enough to potentially turn an election.

In particular, I was asking how do we stop this? As is, there is a substantial amount of protection through anonymity through the internet that will keep someone from getting prosecuted for producing that kind of material. Under pre-internet conditions, it would be possible to potentially going after someone with slander / libel laws, but that seems to be getting harder and harder to do.

Even if you are able to put laws in place to go after people who make detrimental videos, there is going to be a legal argument that the video was created as an "obvious" satire, and therefore be immune to prosecution (ie, freedom of speech).

I have a legitimate fear of how badly this tech can be abused.

I put off submitting a photo for our work website for 3 years, but I was finally dragged into it a couple of weeks ago. I really, really, don't like being photographed. Now they make that darn filter. Not that I have a TikTok account but that might have done it.
I had this happen. So I told them I had one and found a picture of George Clooney around the first Ocean's 11 time period. The Zoomer (young millienial?) marketing person didn't realize who that was so the joke went over her head and she damn near ran it before somebody told her it was George Clooney.

I had to get a headshot. Weak.

Edit: this was during our extended home stay recently.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: mcmurtry66
I had this happen. So I told them I had one and found a picture of George Clooney around the first Ocean's 11 time period. The Zoomer (young millienial?) marketing person didn't realize who that was so the joke went over her head and she damn near ran it before somebody told her it was George Clooney.

Every once in a while I get a text. “Wrong number.” But it’s one of those scam things. Sorry about that. Hope you are having a good day. What part of the country are you in. I like when I get those. I’m real good at stringing them along. And finally they’ll send a pic. Always a hot Asian. Fake. And when they ask for mine I always send an old pic of Mario Lopez.

Edit: this was during our extended home stay recently.

Funny, my last attempt at avoiding it was sending them a link to a Google search for George Clooney headshots. Our head and beard color are virtually identical.

• Love
Reactions: larsIU
You and your buddy mark are something else. You’re posting about how you look like Clooney while he’s in another thread posting about his Mensa iq.
Oh God no, I look nothing like Clooney. I just have his hair and beard color. Even at that, my hair is still a Beatles look, nothing styled like his.

The problem I see is that AI will be available globally and we won’t be able to trust the ethics of many countries. Sure, the US and Europe can agree on a code of ethics for AI use, but China, Russia, North Korea, etc will use the technology as they want with no ethical considerations.

I brought this up a year or two ago with regards to politics. The day is coming soon when a political candidate is going to produce a deep fake of their opponent having relations with a goat, and it is going to look realistic enough that 5% of the people who see it (and I am making no distinction about which side here) are going to absolutely believe it and not be able to be convinced otherwise. It will be enough to potentially turn an election.

In particular, I was asking how do we stop this? As is, there is a substantial amount of protection through anonymity through the internet that will keep someone from getting prosecuted for producing that kind of material. Under pre-internet conditions, it would be possible to potentially going after someone with slander / libel laws, but that seems to be getting harder and harder to do.

Even if you are able to put laws in place to go after people who make detrimental videos, there is going to be a legal argument that the video was created as an "obvious" satire, and therefore be immune to prosecution (ie, freedom of speech).

I have a legitimate fear of how badly this tech can be abused.
We’ll, we could start by not nominating people who we tend to believe would have relations with a goat. Not naming names, but…cough…cough…Trump…cough.

AI generated photo of Pope wearing puffer jacket goes viral. It will soon be impossible to determine if a photo is the original or not.

sub-buzz-520-1679939494-9.jpg

It was kind of cute when the deep fakes were easily to spot. Or computer chat responses were woefully awkward. Now it is scary out there.

Consider this video where Xiaoma had a video chat with a Chinese guy who has deepfakes where he passes himself as a Elon Musk lookalike. It is one thing to do a deepfake for TikTok. Seeing him doing a real time chat with that technology is different. It's pretty amazing how realistic it is.

Or check out this piece on CNN. Now one can upload a little bit of your voice, and then you can type out dialogue that sounds as if you are the one saying it live.

Realistic deepfakes, AI chat bots like ChatGPT and Bing A.I. - it's getting crazy out there.
When my Jesus comes back in the clouds of glory and there is a camera I bet a lot of people are going to think it is a deep fake. I do think there is a real danger in getting the truth out there if people distrust everything. Real bad stuff could happen on video and people will just write it off as a deep fake.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT