ADVERTISEMENT

The Crean Experiment is Finally Over

That's an excellent list. I think Billy Donovan could be a real possibility. With Durant gone he isn't going to win a championship for many years. Not many stars want to play with Westbrook, drafting is a slow process.
The B1G is an excellent conference and he wouldn't have to play his Florida friends yearly. He turned us down twice but things were going on, death of a son etc. I don't think after being an assistant here he wanted the pressure at that time.
Donovan would be going to FF and win some championships. You would be in the hunt nearly every year. Indiana is a bigger brand is basketball than Florida, thus recruiting would be on steroids. One and done talents.
He'll stay in the NBA. He has a dream job.

Well that does it. The nightmare that has been the Tommy Basketball experiment is now officially over. It's a great time to be an IU fan again. Hopefully we can get some unity again in the fanbase behind the new coach and get back to the elite program we are.

Watching this year reminded me of the scene from Old Yeller when the guy put down his dog. Plenty of sadness and tears but at the end of the day it was necessary.
I wish it were true. This year was an embarrassment to the history of IU basketball.

Funny thing is that the Duke game, IMHO, is what put us in this pickle to begin with. Had we lost that game we may have ended up with a really good coach back then. The Davis years would have quickly ended, there would have been no need for IU to try to emulate Oklahoma basketball by hiring a guy like Sampson, and Of course no Crean.

Crazy to think that IU's scintillating underdog comeback for the ages would make it the underdog forever more.

Reactions: .Gerdis
NIT selection show is at 8:30 Sunday night
anchorman-teamjump.gif

I meant before the NIT games begin...

Right. So that means tomorrow or Sunday morning.
I don't know if it's hours, days, or a couple weeks. What difference does it make? There's no way to predict the timing of negotiations. All I know for sure is the outcome.

If it's "weeks" then it isn't "soon" and anything could happen.

He could win the NIT and Glass changes his mind.

The coach(es) we want take other jobs and/or change their minds.

If he's not gone by Sunday, I think we're stuck with him.

Right. So that means tomorrow or Sunday morning.

If it's "weeks" then it isn't "soon" and anything could happen.

He could win the NIT and Glass changes his mind.

The coach(es) we want take other jobs and/or change their minds.

If he's not gone by Sunday, I think we're stuck with him.
To be clear, I have no sources, but in my opinion if Crean is fired, or leaves on his own, it will happen before any NIT games are played...not before they announce the NIT teams...Crean may announce he's stepping down, and still coach during the NIT, but more likely he leaves to start his new job, and an interim coach coaches the NIT...

I loved that Glass was at the MVC finals and watched Marshall destroy Illinois State to win both the conference and the conference tournament yet again.

This year was supposedly a rebuilding year and he went 30-4 while returning practically everyone next year.

So I'm encouraged that Glass flew down there to watch that hoping he was talking to Marshall.

That being said Glass is a fanboy from the 70's and 80's and after hearing Dakich saying that the next coach of Indiana should be someone who has either played or coached at Indiana... I'm guessing the 'family' wants one of their own regardless of the resume.

So my bet is Alford.

My want is Marshall or Archie but I'm thinking it's Alford's if he wants it.

Sigh.

Back in 70 the family wanted Bobby Leonard, not an intense cocky sob from our rival Ohio State.

I'm a UK fan and basketball is better when Indiana basketball is elite. Good luck and surely they won't keep Crean around. I think Gregg Marshall would be a good fit. Probably have to pay him 4.5 mil a year to get him to leave WSU.
Best posting ever made by a UK fan!

I loved that Glass was at the MVC finals and watched Marshall destroy Illinois State to win both the conference and the conference tournament yet again.

This year was supposedly a rebuilding year and he went 30-4 while returning practically everyone next year.

So I'm encouraged that Glass flew down there to watch that hoping he was talking to Marshall.

That being said Glass is a fanboy from the 70's and 80's and after hearing Dakich saying that the next coach of Indiana should be someone who has either played or coached at Indiana... I'm guessing the 'family' wants one of their own regardless of the resume.

So my bet is Alford.

Sigh.

Back in 70 the family wanted Bobby Leonard, not an intense cocky sob from our rival Ohio State.
Where did you see that Glass went to the MVC tournament?

You're very off on that last assumption. It's going to be a big name.

Delusional re coaches IU can get- big names have no reason to come to IU- old program that has not been elite for a quarter century- can't get elite players to come to a place with no recent history that young players know about
NW is even passing them by and starting to get elite Chicago players

Sad situation

Delusional re coaches IU can get- big names have no reason to come to IU- old program that has not been elite for a quarter century- can't get elite players to come to a place with no recent history that young players know about

Sad situation
IU basketball is like ND football..get the right coach and a sleeping giant will arise... large, hungry fan base, iconic facilities, $$, tradition, $$, national recognition, and oh yeah; $$. ND, coming off a really shitty season, has the #3 recruiting class in the country right now.

The giant may be down, but IU has too much in place to not be able to come back IF the admin doesn't f*ck it up again.

To be clear, I have no sources, but in my opinion if Crean is fired, or leaves on his own, it will happen before any NIT games are played...not before they announce the NIT teams...Crean may announce he's stepping down, and still coach during the NIT, but more likely he leaves to start his new job, and an interim coach coaches the NIT...

Don't the NIT games start on Tuesday or Wednesday?

I just think if it lasts "weeks, we're screwed. I forgot to mention, one of the coaches we really like could get a big fat raise so we don't lose them.

Too many things to go wrong if it last "weeks."

So my bet is Alford.

Sigh.

So tired of the "keep it in the family" nonsense as it has failed time after time after time.

Sad situation
That's on Crean. Everything is there for IU to be elite. If you surveyed college coaches all of them would have IU in the top 5-10. We're a big hire away from being right there with Kansas, UK, Duke, UNC.

Why not?
We pay top dollar and give the coach a huge recruiting budget
We aren't quick off the mark to fire (e.g., Davis, Crean)
If the coach succeeds, we adore him forever despite his many flaws (you know who)

You literally could not have a less pressured elite job than iu basketball. Easiest job in America if you can actually coach. If you can't we will still give millions, plenty of time, and our idiot fans will make excuses for years after you've proven yourself unfit.

You literally could not have a less pressured elite job than iu basketball. Easiest job in America if you can actually coach. If you can't we will still give millions, plenty of time, and our idiot fans will make excuses for years after you've proven yourself unfit.
Can I like this 1000 times?

As fans, can we agree that regardless of who the next coach is we're not going to treat him as our new cult leader? Unless of course it's Brad or Billy. But seriously, regardless of what the new guy says let's all support him, believe in him, give him the benefit of the doubt...but let's not put blinders on and follow for 8 years without at least looking somewhat objectively at the results? I can't handle the Crean cult back again unless it's a home run hire.

Reactions: iu2win

And the media will treat you like you're John Wooden instead of calling for your head so they don't lose access......

Reactions: FL33
No offense, but when asked what "very soon" was, you said it could be "weeks."

That isn't "very soon."
It's all relative. Crean has been here 9 years so in the grand scheme of things I'd say a couple weeks is pretty darn soon. And more than likely is just a few days.

And the media will treat you like you're John Wooden instead of calling for your head so they don't lose access......

You'll get a SID plus the propaganda arm of Hitchens, Peegram, & Rabjohns. Then when you've fallen so low that you think nobody will defend you Kravitz and Doyel will just to remind everyone there's no two dumber journalists in America. Bilas and Katz may even join in with their special brand of brain dead "analysis" if your agent knows how to give a few Bristol parking lot handies.

Seriously, what's not to love about this job?

Reactions: JARRODH
you lost me at "idiot fans will make excuses"......I think its the fans who have been displeased for the longest time...

Sad situation
That's dumb. There's talent, money, and facilities. Not saying Donovan is coming, but that's a ridiculous post.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT