ADVERTISEMENT

Tennessee OC appears IN new OC

Quick insight from a Vol. We set records the last 2 years offensively and finished in the top 2-3 in the SEC in offensive rankings. I think a lot of that is credited to Joshua Dobbs though and his ability to extend plays/make things happen. If you have the right players in his system, he can certainly be effective. He is definitely run first with a lot of stretch type runs versus your typical power dives. His passing attack opened up this season, but he likes to stretch out the defense laterally and get players the ball in space (see Alvin Kamara/John Kelly)

All in all, I think you will be pleased and expect him to have you finish in the top half in offense in the B10.

Quick insight from a Vol. We set records the last 2 years offensively and finished in the top 2-3 in the SEC in offensive rankings. I think a lot of that is credited to Joshua Dobbs though and his ability to extend plays/make things happen. If you have the right players in his system, he can certainly be effective. He is definitely run first with a lot of stretch type runs versus your typical power dives. His passing attack opened up this season, but he likes to stretch out the defense laterally and get players the ball in space (see Alvin Kamara/John Kelly)

All in all, I think you will be pleased and expect him to have you finish in the top half in offense in the B10.

Thanks Swag. Question for you: The RBs that left the Vols this past season, any insight into whether they left because of DeBord or because of Jones?

For IU fans, here's a link to a Knoxville TV station confirming DeBord left UT to go to Indiana: http://www.wbir.com/sports/college/...tor-mike-debord-leaving-for-indiana/381590404.

Thanks Swag. Question for you: The RBs that left the Vols this past season, any insight into whether they left because of DeBord or because of Jones?

For IU fans, here's a link to a Knoxville TV station confirming DeBord left UT to go to Indiana: http://www.wbir.com/sports/college/...tor-mike-debord-leaving-for-indiana/381590404.
Hurd was planning to leave after last season, but Butch/Debord convinced him to stay. He is built for Power I formation/down hill running and this offense did not fit him at all. Honestly there was frustration between both sides, but it was mutual parting of ways.

Thanks for the link.

I am absolutely thrilled with this hire. He's got the experience to help Allen as a first-time HC, Hoosier roots, worked with big-time programs. What's not to like?

If I was Lagow I don't know if I'd be too thrilled, but c 'est la vie.

Reactions: hammerman24

I agree with this for the most part. Tennessee fans were pretty split on him, for what it's worth. Many blamed his relatively conservative play calling for the bad stretch Tennessee had this year. He definitely had a loaded offense at Tennessee with plenty of experience and star power.

Overall I think he's a really good hire for IU. From everything I've heard he was basically pushed out at Tennessee and it makes sense that he's likely close to the end of his career and wanted to be back in Indiana. Welcome!

With the defense ranking higher than our offense and no KW around to solve that going into next year, I think TA is doing the right thing by going with a more run first approach. We need to slow the game down. It's crazy for us to say that because we've NEVER wanted to do that with our defenses of the past but it's a new era.

Good news for many posters on here - he likes to throw to the TE. Tenn had 2 TE's with over 20 receptions.
We actually would get mad because we did not think he threw enough to them. We have a really good TE in Ethan Wolf, but he did not utilize him enough. You guys must never have used your TE haha

Reactions: RBB89
I agree with this for the most part. Tennessee fans were pretty split on him, for what it's worth. Many blamed his relatively conservative play calling for the bad stretch Tennessee had this year. He definitely had a loaded offense at Tennessee with plenty of experience and star power.

Overall I think he's a really good hire for IU. From everything I've heard he was basically pushed out at Tennessee and it makes sense that he's likely close to the end of his career and wanted to be back in Indiana. Welcome!
drove michigan fans crazy with his conservative play calling

We actually would get mad because we did not think he threw enough to them. We have a really good TE in Ethan Wolf, but he did not utilize him enough. You guys must never have used your TE haha

Our TEs were not much more than tall, mobile OG who would sneak into a pattern once a blue moon or so. They blocked well, and were integral to the success of our stretch running game. But pass catchers . . . not often.

Reactions: Sassy61
Tennessee's recruit class is ranked 9th in the country right now. I wonder is we can pull a couple more players away on offense?

I remember we threw to the tight end a couple of times when the great George Taliaferro was playing.

Reactions: 10yrProject
Times are changing when a 9-4 SEC offensive coordinator with a top 10 recruiting class makes a lateral move to Indiana.

Reactions: DANC
Tennessee's recruit class is ranked 9th in the country right now. I wonder is we can pull a couple more players away on offense?
I sure hope so, but I don't expect any. Debord was only there for a year so he probably wasn't the main guy on most of them. I hope I'm wrong but I don't think recruiting will be his strength...I think his experience will be.

That said, Tennessee has a big class with plenty of offers still out. It's possible some of those kids are going to be politely let go if others commit, and Debord could possibly step in if they're offensive. We'll see.

Times are changing when a 9-4 SEC offensive coordinator with a top 10 recruiting class makes a lateral move to Indiana.
From all indications he was essentially let go. Tennessee really underachieved their expectations this year with a loaded, experienced team. Someone had to take the fall. The easiest way to do that as a HC is to blame/replace your coordinators.

Reactions: JBT Assoc
Tennessee scored 38 and 34 points in two of their 4 losses. Scored only 10 against Alabama and 21 against South Carolina.

I'll take it.

Reactions: Tokyo Steve
He was considering retiring to be closer to his family (Indiana), so this kind of worked out well for all involved.

From all indications he was essentially let go. Tennessee really underachieved their expectations this year with a loaded, experienced team. Someone had to take the fall. The easiest way to do that as a HC is to blame/replace your coordinators.
That is utter bullshit. You are seriously uninformed.

Our TEs were not much more than tall, mobile OG who would sneak into a pattern once a blue moon or so. They blocked well, and were integral to the success of our stretch running game. But pass catchers . . . not often.
To effectively use tight ends two things must be true:

First, your tight ends have to be guys who can run and catch. I think had Fuchs not been hurt we probably would have thrown to the TE more. It would also have been helpful if Thomas had progressed a little quicker. Friend, like our tight end last year (kid from Arizona whose name completely escapes me now) were big bodies and not skilled runners.

Second, you have to be able to protect with the TE involved in routes. An immobile QB and a true freshman at left tackle is not the best situation for making heavy use of the TE.

We threw the ball to Bolser a ton as a TE and we threw occasionally to Corsaro last year. I think our limited use of that position was much more dictated by our personnel this year than by scheme or design.

Reactions: Sope Creek
Uh, no. He was considering retirement, but how did his offense underachieve?

2016 points: 63, 55, 49, 45, 38, 38, 38, 34, 34, 28, 21, 20, and 10 (Bama). 9th nationally in rushing S&P. 12th nationally in passing S&P.

2015 points: 59, 24, 55, 27, 20, 38, 14 (Bama), 52, 27, 24, 19, 53, 45.

Seems to me like he did his job.

Thanks for the link.

I am absolutely thrilled with this hire. He's got the experience to help Allen as a first-time HC, Hoosier roots, worked with big-time programs. What's not to like?

If I was Lagow I don't know if I'd be too thrilled, but c 'est la vie.

Well, if IU goes to a run-first offense - not dependent upon the read option - and can make that stick, then it may be that the QB might have more time to throw.

OTOH, many UT fans wanted to have their QB run the ball more this past season . . . but - because of limited options to replace an injured QB - DeBord didn't run his as much as those UT fans would have liked. Sound familiar?

Poor danc. Watch what happens and keep in mind that as Indiana football goes there are only a dozen or so years in big ten play that Indiana had a better record than this year.

Here is a saying to go with your "life" quote. "Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something."

I was an RL supporter before he ever threw a pass at IU. And I am a supporter of his for next season. And I think with a year of Big 10 experience he has the potential to have a really good year in 2017. However the 29 turnovers is also a reality. And it reasonable for fans to be unhappy with that.

Reactions: DANC
IU will formally announce the hire tomorrow, a source told TheHoosier.com.

Thanks. Wasn't he up at MI for awhile?
Was the offensive coordinator for last national championship team. Left to become head coach at Central Michigan he hired Butch Jones as his offensive coordinator. Resigned wet back to Michigan as Associate AD. Jones hired him two years ago. He was o-line coach at Franklin College in early 80's for legendary coach Red Faught. Terry Hoepner was the defensive coordinator at the same time. We only played a TE about 10 plays a game we were a run and shoot team. When he called plays for Michigan he did run the I definitely different era before spread. He is a smart guy and will mold o around players they have. The o line has two of best in the game.

Poor danc. Watch what happens and keep in mind that as Indiana football goes there are only a dozen or so years in big ten play that Indiana had a better record than this year.

Here is a saying to go with your "life" quote. "Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something."
All I said was, I didn't know if I'd be happy if I was your son. That's not a knock on your son - all it means is, he came to play in Wilson's offense, and that Offense isn't going to be there.

I haven't trashed your son this year - not nearly as much as others have. I have tried to be supportive. But if you're going to come on here and show your a## because of something completely innocuous I posted, then you're going to have a rough time here.

If you are claiming your son is the reason we won 6 games, let's just say we have difference of opinion.

I am completely behind your son, or whomever is QB next year and wish them complete success. This is a fan board. If you're going to be so thin-skinned, you might want to avoid it, because that's why the forum is here - to discuss IU Football. Your son is a part of that and I never attacked him personally.

Reactions: Bligedy
All I said was, I didn't know if I'd be happy if I was your son. That's not a knock on your son - all it means is, he came to play in Wilson's offense, and that Offense isn't going to be there.

I haven't trashed your son this year - not nearly as much as others have. I have tried to be supportive. But if you're going to come on here and show your a## because of something completely innocuous I posted, then you're going to have a rough time here.

If you are claiming your son is the reason we won 6 games, let's just say we have difference of opinion.

I am completely behind your son, or whomever is QB next year and wish them complete success. This is a fan board. If you're going to be so thin-skinned, you might want to avoid it, because that's why the forum is here - to discuss IU Football. Your son is a part of that and I never attacked him personally.

I apologize. It is a team effort, the team wins and loses together, and the point was that the complete package this year has only been out performed a hand full of times in almost 60 years. I just think we should watch what happens and let the dust settle. You give this team a healthy line and healthy receivers, where our receivers are not exhausted from no subs and a fast passed offense, and I think you have a different season. But, that is probably true of every team.

I apologize. It is a team effort, the team wins and loses together, and the point was that the complete package this year has only been out performed a hand full of times in almost 60 years. I just think we should watch what happens and let the dust settle. You give this team a healthy line and healthy receivers, where our receivers are not exhausted from no subs and a fast passed offense, and I think you have a different season. But, that is probably true of every team.
No problem. I think the change of Offense might be a benefit, actually. As someone mentioned above, maybe a more traditional run-oriented Offense may provide better protection when we do pass.

It's true we were about 50% of our WR talent this year. We had key injuries all over the team, but it's to Wilson's credit (see I do give him some props) that we had guys step up.

I told you before, I met your son at the signing day function and was very impressed. He's going to be a success in life no matter what he does at IU. I hope he likes the new coaches and new system and thrives next year.

Uh, no. He was considering retirement, but how did his offense underachieve?

2016 points: 63, 55, 49, 45, 38, 38, 38, 34, 34, 28, 21, 20, and 10 (Bama). 9th nationally in rushing S&P. 12th nationally in passing S&P.

2015 points: 59, 24, 55, 27, 20, 38, 14 (Bama), 52, 27, 24, 19, 53, 45.

Seems to me like he did his job.
I like the hire. I'm not trying to rain on the parade here. But you can't judge an OC solely on how many points their team scored. Too many factors involved.

Tennessee underachieved big time this year. They were projected to win the SEC East from everyone. Right or wrong, many UT fans blamed that on DeBord and wanted him replaced. Butch Jones was under pressure to mix up the staff.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT