ADVERTISEMENT

Ted Valentine gets his

From F4 to not making the field, couldn't be a more deserving ref. Too bad NCAA will probably let him work NIT games.

The biggest FUKTARD to ever ref a basketball game. He is a disgrace to the profession. Other refs should be thrilled they don't have to put up with his charade.

Reactions: IUgradman
Does anyone else remember that 2 or 3 minute dance Teddy did with Izzo at half court in the middle of a game? It was a few years ago.

Bleep that guy. There is another banner hanging in Assembly Hall if not for his sorry ass.
I don't agree we were going to beat Duke if not for him. We started falling apart late in the first half when they cut the lead from 12 to 5 before Valentine called the T early in the second half.

We'll never know, unfortunately.

Reactions: Tasmanian Devil
I don't agree we were going to beat Duke if not for him. We started falling apart late in the first half when they cut the lead from 12 to 5 before Valentine called the T early in the second half.

Flaming A hole. Should have been gone 20 years ago.
Cocky SOB

We had four players foul out of the game and lost by 3. We were called for 33 fouls to Duke's 18. Duke shot 42 free throws to our 16. Henderson, Bailey, Cheaney, and G. Graham were the four who fouled out. 3 of those guys basically never fouled out. Duke "started to take over" because our best players had to play limited minutes because of bull shit calls.

If that game was called straight up, we win it going away. It was the biggest screw job I have ever had the displeasure of watching.

www.sports-reference.com/cbb/boxscores/1992-04-04-duke.html

Looking at the box score still pisses me off.

We had four players foul out of the game and lost by 3. We were called for 33 fouls to Duke's 18. Duke shot 42 free throws to our 16. Henderson, Bailey, Cheaney, and G. Graham were the four who fouled out. 3 of those guys basically never fouled out. Duke "started to take over" because our best players had to play limited minutes because of bull shit calls.

If that game was called straight up, we win it going away. It was the biggest screw job I have ever had the displeasure of watching.

TV Teddy made that game a one-man clown show and he determined to put the screws to IU.

We had an 8-point lead with the shot clock off, and could have held the ball for the last shot of the half. Instead, Eric Anderson - a senior, no less - shoots a 3 off the semi-break. He misses; Duke goes down and get a 3-point play to cut it to 5. We miss again right before half and Duke barely misses a trey which would have cut it to 2.

IU takes care of business like we should have, we don't lose that game.

We had an 8-point lead with the shot clock off, and could have held the ball for the last shot of the half. Instead, Eric Anderson - a senior, no less - shoots a 3 off the semi-break. He misses; Duke goes down and get a 3-point play to cut it to 5. We miss again right before half and Duke barely misses a trey which would have cut it to 2.

IU takes care of business like we should have, we don't lose that game.
Yep. And we couldn't stop Hurley when we needed to do most near the end of that first half, when he went 4 of 5 from three.

Not saying Valentine wasn't a factor. But we didn't help ourselves.

Reactions: Tasmanian Devil

A friend was at that game and sitting by some refs, I forget from which conference. Even they told him we were getting screwed.

If I recall correctly, Cheaney got called for his 3rd foul on a very questionable charge call where he had made the basket. So not only does the basket get wiped out, Cheaney has to sit, and I believe TV Ted t’d up Knight. So if you look at the 3-point margin, there you go.

Reactions: HoosiersChamps
If I recall correctly, Cheaney got called for his 3rd foul on a very questionable charge call where he had made the basket. So not only does the basket get wiped out, Cheaney has to sit, and I believe TV Ted t’d up Knight. So if you look at the 3-point margin, there you go.

Wasn't there also a (phantom?) T called on the IU bench for standing and cheering?

We lost by single digits with 4 of our 5 starters on the bench in foul trouble. I'm thinking that matters.
So did Eric Anderson bricking a shot that he didn’t need to shoot that became a five-point swing at the end of the first half.

Valentine didn’t help, but we screwed ourselves too.

It's funny cause personally, I was talking about it being his best season, by far. He hasn't been super noticible, and the crew he works with seemed actually be one of the most consistent in the B10. There were games I didn't know he was doing until the camera gave a close up. More of the NCAA apologizing to UNC for investigating them (No way in hell a 10 loss team with a home loss to Wofford is a 2 seed)? I don't even think Teddy did anything wrong turning his back rather than calling the T, but ESPN sure made a huge deal out of it.

So did Eric Anderson bricking a shot that he didn’t need to shoot that became a five-point swing at the end of the first half.

Valentine didn’t help, but we screwed ourselves too.
Your point is well taken. However, the opposition was Duke, it shouldn’t include the officials as well, though I’m aware that happens a lot.

Reactions: SRIV94

Was that the game where Leary hit a bunch of three-pointers at the end of the game? As close as the final score was, I have no doubt IU would have won it if Valentine had not been officiating. As it were, we only lost by 3-4 points anyway, right?

Was that the game where Leary hit a bunch of three-pointers at the end of the game? As close as the final score was, I have no doubt IU would have won it if Valentine had not been officiating. As it were, we only lost by 3-4 points anyway, right?

Yes it is. He hit 3 3's in about a minute. And we lost by 3.

TV has an interesting backstory, I will find and link it, He is fortunate that he ever got a chance to officiate which he wanted badly after seeing some refs work as he was cleaning a gym. He had a tough childhood.

It was great he got the opportunity, but he was done no favors by leadership that put him into ever increasing pressure and high stakes situations, he doesn't have the EQ for it,

What I remembered the most about that game was that Valentine kept doubling down with dumber and dumber judgement call. His impersonation of Rodin's "Thinker" sealed his fate as an idiot.

Here is the difference. He turned his back on a North Carolina Tarheel. We all know that they are different. Ole Roy don't play that. NCAA had to take action. He was probably a Presbyterian too. :)

IU started falling apart with the series of charge/block calls that ALL went against IU, and ALL called from TV. Cheaney had to sit the bench with foul trouble for a long stretch. 4 of IU's top players fouled out of the game. Guys like Cheaney and Greg Graham who never fouled out.

There is also the little stat of 42FTs to 16. Now, I know Duke fans like to chirp that getting to the FT line more then their opponent was one of Coach K's focuses, but who do you think he got that from? Did you ever know an IU team get out FT's by that kind of margin? Do you know many teams that get out FT'd by that kind of margin? Especially one good enough to be a F4 team?

TV literally controlled that game. And, famously how a long time dispute with Knight. Even get removed from referring int he B1G not much after that game.

I was at this game. I remember watching TV Teddy and seeing him squat down with his face on his hand during every Timeout. He didn't talk to any of the other refs, just squatted and pouted. I told my friend before everything went down how unprofessional that was from a ref.

Then later in the game all hell broke lose. It was unreal. A Technical for walking out to help an injured player, SMH. I was amazed that he was able to ref another conference after the B1G suspended him following this game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rakkasan29
The way the '92 Duke game was officiated was a factor in the game. IU was in the zone in that tournament until the end of the first half of the Duke game. I think the officiating brought IU back down to Earth.

Bobby Hurley kept Duke in the game in the first half. I would agree that Eric Anderson took a bonehead shot at the end of the 1st half, which gave Duke 3 more points. I don't think IU scored in the 2nd half until the 12 minute mark or so, and Duke came out really strong in the 2nd half.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT