ADVERTISEMENT

Targeting Call Plays

IU, the modern day Oakland Raiders of the Big Ten.😵
In the days of the the old Oakland Raiders with guys like Jack Tatum and Ronnie Lott after him, had there been targeting rules, those guys would have been ejected damn near every game. Tatum paralyzed Darryl Stingley for life.
I’m all for player safety but there is no consistency. The hit on Aiden Fisher with the crown of the helmet and this supposed 6” magical circumference of helmet targeting was more egregious than West going down to get a fumbled snap or Ponds colliding with the guy with his shoulder. If you are going to call those two, you better call the other one where a guy hit guy in the side of the head leading with his helmet and launching himself at Fisher.

hopefully the clips have been sent into the big ten office.

Those refs should be demoted to G5 games.
The lead ref, Bryan Banks, is a graduate of the University of Illinois.
Personally, I don’t think you should ever put an official into a conference game that went to a school within the conference. That is beyond stupid to me.
I also think that having officials with conference affiliations is also beyond stupid.
The biases and animosity that can develop over time for an official doing all of his work within one conference is a real thing.
Anybody remember Teddy Valentine?
We had an ACC crew absolutely f@&$ us in a game vs NC State. Cignetti was there to witness it, as an assistant.

In the days of the the old Oakland Raiders with guys like Jack Tatum and Ronnie Lott after him, had there been targeting rules, those guys would have been ejected damn near every game. Tatum paralyzed Darryl Stingley for life.
I’m all for player safety but there is no consistency. The hit on Aiden Fisher with the crown of the helmet and this supposed 6” magical circumference of helmet targeting was more egregious than West going down to get a fumbled snap or Ponds colliding with the guy with his shoulder. If you are going to call those two, you better call the other one where a guy hit guy in the side of the head leading with his helmet and launching himself at Fisher.
I agreed with the call on Ponds, but the one the refs picked up after the INT was worse.

Reactions: red hornet
This particular crew highlights just how incompetent/corrupt???/lousy Big Ten officiating can be. You have to be pretty darn good to overcome such sketchy calls.

Indiana in the past, was simply never good enough to survive a boatload of blown calls. It's the chief reason I seldom root for any Big Ten teams. Lousy calls like that, particularly multiple calls, just give a platform of shadyness.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
This particular crew highlights just how incompetent/corrupt???/lousy Big Ten officiating can be. You have to be pretty darn good to overcome such sketchy calls.

Indiana in the past, was simply never good enough to survive a boatload of blown calls. It's the chief reason I seldom root for any Big Ten teams. Lousy calls like that, particularly multiple calls, just give a platform of shadyness.

The ones that are real point shavers are not necessarily the calls but actually the no calls (like the ignored clear Pass Interference against our Receivers) that in the past would have been drive killers for us and usually would end up being 14 point swings in favor of the opposition... I've seen that sh-t a thousand times too many in Big Ten play...

Those two Roughing the Passer bogus calls were a new twist on an old routine when it comes to Big Ten Refs putting their thumb on the scales for the other team...

The script read that we were supposed to be the scrappy patsy for the LA teams Welcome to the Big Ten... I love the fact that we screwed that up by just continuing to play thru their garbage calls and swamp them on the scoreboard where it counts...

Last edited:

These refs weren't B1G refs but ACC I think. I don't agree with any of the target hits called and the two sacks called with penalty were wrong too.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT