ADVERTISEMENT

Succession Planning on Coaching Staff

IndyIUFan66

All-Big Ten
Jun 23, 2013
Some of the issue HAS to be personnel in terms of our offensive performance last season and this year too. But think there is some feeling Debord has been conservative and not opened things up, and per Allen, he is the "head coach of the offense" so the buck basically stops with him as I don't believe Allen is a micro-manager (a good thing.)

IF they were to make a coaching change there after the season, what would people think of moving up new Broyles Award nominee Mike Hart to OC?

From Ronnie Walker to Stevie Scott to Sampson James, he clearly seems like a talented recruiter. He played at UM and the NFL and has been a good rising star coach it would appear, who was given an "Assistant Head Coach" title (which I admit I don't really know what that means, i.e. it's not like the OC reports thru him."

And merit should be color blind, but having an African American OC (or DC) would be a positive thing too. He's still young, seems dynamic, and doubt he'd be a "highly conservative play caller philosophy.

And if he were "picking his staff" that wouldn't preclude potentially a new OL coach, assume he'd get a new RB coach, and he could determine if his old teammate is who he'd want for QB coach to remain. *I like Heard and would hope he'd stay put as WR coach.

Per Defense:
If Allen decides as many hope to JUST be HC. That begs who'd be DC?

Hagen has good experience and would seem a candidate.

But I know Allen likes LB coach Wommack, who was seemingly a rising DC star at smaller school before taking LB job at IU, but also someone Allen seems to have trust in due to past connections to him and his father.

Corners coach Shelby seems like good recruiter, but DB's still not elite yet.
Safeties coach Teegarden "T" seems like nice, spirited guy, but he was bumped up from grad assistant. I kind of feel that kind of promotion shouldn't happen at B10 IU, but bring coaches in who've done it elsewhere first.

Special Teams Coordinator - Inge bleeds for IU and seems like a great guy. But his debut year is probably kindly graded as a disaster? Or at least a C- to D+? Literally cost IU the PSU game and many other bad plays this season. But no ideas on any replacements there.

Inside baseball speculation. I realize these men have families so it is NEVER personal for me when play these games. It goes with profession and I'm sure they realize it's a tough, results oriented business. But Allen needs to get the right people on the right seats on the bus to be sure he has the best staff to help him keep his own job. Hence, have to make tough calls ahead.

That said, wish them all nothing but focus and good luck for the last 3 games, hoping they can pull out 2 and go bowling!

I heard 2nd hand yesterday from someone who is a family member of a starter on this year’s team that TA has completely lost the faith of the players. Apparently he’s nice (but “weird”), but the players don’t have faith in his football knowledge. Said some of the stuff they hear and do is just dumb.

I won’t say any more and I’m sure some won’t believe it, but it was pretty concerning stuff. And not just a reserve player upset about PT.

I heard 2nd hand yesterday from someone who is a family member of a starter on this year’s team that TA has completely lost the faith of the players. Apparently he’s nice (but “weird”), but the players don’t have faith in his football knowledge. Said some of the stuff they hear and do is just dumb.

I won’t say any more and I’m sure some won’t believe it, but it was pretty concerning stuff. And not just a reserve player upset about PT.
I’d like to see us go get Les Miles. That guy can flat coach !

While I like Hart, I’d be disappointed in simply promoting a position coach. We need “young” experience. I have heard from some sources that Debord will announce retirement at season’s end regardless. It will not be presented as a termination. It will be a retiring / stepping aside.

Don’t be surprised to see a young name surface like Graham Harrell

While I like Hart, I’d be disappointed in simply promoting a position coach. We need “young” experience. I have heard from some sources that Debord will announce retirement at season’s end regardless. It will not be presented as a termination. It will be a retiring / stepping aside.

Even right after he was hired, I sort of was expecting a 2 year stint for Debord. It sounded like he was planning on retiring from Tenn before the IU job came up. I really felt like Allen was looking to hire more of a personal mentor that he trusted to help navigate the transition to HC

Reactions: iueyedoc99
Some of the issue HAS to be personnel in terms of our offensive performance last season and this year too. But think there is some feeling Debord has been conservative and not opened things up, and per Allen, he is the "head coach of the offense" so the buck basically stops with him as I don't believe Allen is a micro-manager (a good thing.)

IF they were to make a coaching change there after the season, what would people think of moving up new Broyles Award nominee Mike Hart to OC?

From Ronnie Walker to Stevie Scott to Sampson James, he clearly seems like a talented recruiter. He played at UM and the NFL and has been a good rising star coach it would appear, who was given an "Assistant Head Coach" title (which I admit I don't really know what that means, i.e. it's not like the OC reports thru him."

And merit should be color blind, but having an African American OC (or DC) would be a positive thing too. He's still young, seems dynamic, and doubt he'd be a "highly conservative play caller philosophy.

And if he were "picking his staff" that wouldn't preclude potentially a new OL coach, assume he'd get a new RB coach, and he could determine if his old teammate is who he'd want for QB coach to remain. *I like Heard and would hope he'd stay put as WR coach.

Per Defense:
If Allen decides as many hope to JUST be HC. That begs who'd be DC?

Hagen has good experience and would seem a candidate.

But I know Allen likes LB coach Wommack, who was seemingly a rising DC star at smaller school before taking LB job at IU, but also someone Allen seems to have trust in due to past connections to him and his father.

Corners coach Shelby seems like good recruiter, but DB's still not elite yet.
Safeties coach Teegarden "T" seems like nice, spirited guy, but he was bumped up from grad assistant. I kind of feel that kind of promotion shouldn't happen at B10 IU, but bring coaches in who've done it elsewhere first.

Special Teams Coordinator - Inge bleeds for IU and seems like a great guy. But his debut year is probably kindly graded as a disaster? Or at least a C- to D+? Literally cost IU the PSU game and many other bad plays this season. But no ideas on any replacements there.

Inside baseball speculation. I realize these men have families so it is NEVER personal for me when play these games. It goes with profession and I'm sure they realize it's a tough, results oriented business. But Allen needs to get the right people on the right seats on the bus to be sure he has the best staff to help him keep his own job. Hence, have to make tough calls ahead.

That said, wish them all nothing but focus and good luck for the last 3 games, hoping they can pull out 2 and go bowling!
JMHO mike Hart has coached running backs and thats it. He's not nearly qualified enough the be an OC. Hasn't even had an OC running game or OC passing game coordinator title.

Hagan needs to go bye!!! the D-line sucks.

Womack? I wouldn't be surprised if he is currently calling the defense therefore the fallout we are having. Allen knew he needed to be "head coach" and brought Womack in with similar defensive tendencies as Allen. He might get a pass but again 3 games left. Better do some convincing.

JMHO these guys have 3 games. They had the whole year and the grades for all are C- Either step up on offense (Debord) or serious hot seat. Hagan has one foot out the door IMO.

I’ve heard from Uncle of 2nd yr player they love him. That’s all gossip or one kids possible opinion.

Let’s focus for now on the results on field the last 3 games.

Reactions: IUCol and 76-1

That would give Allen a way to gracefully make a change, and be more prepared for the transition going into year 3. I’d like to see a change there.

Now we've got pu trolls posting the "I heard from a friends, nieces, nephew" bogus nonsense...

I suggest we shelve this thread until March 1st... We might have something legitimate to converse about then.

Reactions: IUCol
I don’t think any of us really know how good or bad DeBord or Hart really are. Yes, we can see some recruiting success with Hart and that is nice but the rest of it is all speculation.

How much of MD’s play calling has been driven by the capability of the players? No one here knows that answer. How conservative would a former running back be as an OC? Don’t have that answer either.

The only guy that might have those answers is CTA and we’ll just have to wait to see what he does and hope that given his short time on the job and the limits of his situation with IU FB that he makes the best decisions.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT