ADVERTISEMENT

Struggling to watch Bowl Games

Except for the final 4, they are nothing but pre-spring practice scrimmages
You’re not the only one. I realize that between the transfer portal and players opting out for the draft to protect themselves from injury, but some of the teams are a shell of themselves. After watching Utah play NW they were not near the team that I watched play a few times this season. I’m glad NW won for the sake of the BIG but it was a boring game.

You’re not the only one. I realize that between the transfer portal and players opting out for the draft to protect themselves from injury, but some of the teams are a shell of themselves. After watching Utah play NW they were not near the team that I watched play a few times this season. I’m glad NW won for the sake of the BIG but it was a boring game.
You're going to tell me that you don't enjoy watching a 5-7 Minnesota team facing off against a barely over .500 MAC team in the Quick Lane Bowl ? Come on!

I haven't watched one yet. I will watch Louisville tomorrow, probably record Kentucky and definitely watch the January 1st playoff bowls.

Reactions: vesuvius13
You're going to tell me that you don't enjoy watching a 5-7 Minnesota team facing off against a barely over .500 MAC team in the Quick Lane Bowl ? Come on!
I’m actually watching it. But it’s either the game or watch Home Alone for the 18th time. Plus I did want to see if Bazelak was any better in another O. And the answer is …………wait for it …………Nope.

I’m actually watching it. But it’s either the game or watch Home Alone for the 18th time. Plus I did want to see if Bazelak was any better in another O. And the answer is …………wait for it …………Nope.

It ended up not mattering, but the official queered BG's attempt to draw a penalty on a fake punt at the end. I've never seen an official insert himself into the play like that.

Well I'm still working so the 2 pm games at least give me something to watch while I'm doing a bunch of year end reports and paperwork that needs to get done. Think the best part of the game was the constant cut away shots to the cute blond in the stands.

At some point I do wonder if the bowl games start to go away due to so many players not playing in them. I can't imagine the sponsors of the games are getting their money's worth when you have teams that aren't really that good playing in stadiums that are 1/3 of the way full if that.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Its about TV programming. Bowl games provide 3.5 hours of programming a network would otherwise have to fill. What would they show that could draw as much as a live sporting event? Reruns? Talking heads? Cartoons? A live sporting event will always draw a core of TV viewers. Sports bars, cfb fans, alumni, etc. Its productive programming.

Its about TV programming. Bowl games provide 3.5 hours of programming a network would otherwise have to fill. What would they show that could draw as much as a live sporting event? Reruns? Talking heads? Cartoons? A live sporting event will always draw a core of TV viewers. Sports bars, cfb fans, alumni, etc. Its productive programming.
It's A Wonderful Life. Don't get to see it nearly as often now that there are more than 40 bowl games during the holidays.

Only Hee-Haw reruns would have higher ratings. You cannot, 💯% guaranteed, beat 3.5 hours of Junior Samples and Minnie Pearl.

Andre Ware said the number of players skipping the bowl games is a problem. He suggested the transfer portal should not be open until after the bowl games. That sounds good, but it could be a problem for players from schools that are not participating in bowls. I don't know if they would be allowed to leave, but not the bowl teams players.

I haven't watched a large portion of any Bowl Game this year. Will probably see some of Notre Dame and Osu-Mizzou tonight and the big games Monday. In agree with You on the effect of Opt outs. When opt Outs started, I was totally against it, thinking guys were really disloyal. They were turning their backs on the School that gave them the opportunity to play and Coached them up to the level they reached.
Then Jaylin Smith had the severe knee injury in their Bowl Game and fell from a top 5 pick to the 3ed round due to the injury and didn't play for almost two years. He never had the career everyone envisioned when He was healthy. Now I understood why guys who were high projected picks should opt out.
However, this has become ridiculous. Guys are opting out Who will never be drafted and may never see a free agent contract.

If I am a GM running a team's draft, I would be very careful about drafting a late round pick or bring in a free Agent who opted out of a Bowl Game. The minute your team can no longer make the playoffs, is this guy going to jump down the rabbit hole and have a mysterious hard to diagnose hamstring groin or back injury so He doesn't have to play in "meaningless games and risk injury? Why did He opt out and decline an opportunity to play and perhaps improve his draft status?

Don't like the opt outs on sideline yuking it up. They chose not to play and get on with their life. I say AMF!
I’m with you.
If a player decides to bail on his team (and although I don’t particularly like it I actually sympathize with them in many cases) he shouldn’t be on the sideline watching his “brothers” bust their azzes on the field.

I’m with you.
If a player decides to bail on his team (and although I don’t particularly like it I actually sympathize with them in many cases) he shouldn’t be on the sideline watching his “brothers” bust their azzes on the field.
That's the Coaches fault. If I'm coaching You are not a part of the team for this game. You earned the right to play in the Bowl Game, not to be a sideline spectator. You don't travel to the game with Us, and You don't participate in related activities or collect swag. Want to see your former teammates play? arrange your own transportation to and from the game, buy a general public ticket and sit in the stands, or stay on campus and watch Us on TV.

Andre Ware said the number of players skipping the bowl games is a problem. He suggested the transfer portal should not be open until after the bowl games. That sounds good, but it could be a problem for players from schools that are not participating in bowls. I don't know if they would be allowed to leave, but not the bowl teams players.
Watching these pre-championship Bowl games is basically like watching a bunch of Spring football games...

You’re not the only one. I realize that between the transfer portal and players opting out for the draft to protect themselves from injury, but some of the teams are a shell of themselves.

Ohio State is looking like we have recently. Just awful on offense especially. Of course, Missouri is unable to capitalize.

Oops... Obviously didn't read the entire thread...

Well you nailed it and I agree with you...

Better?

No plagerism intended. I'm not interested in becoming the president of either the US or Harvard.
A big LOL

Reactions: 76-1
Except for the final 4, they are nothing but pre-spring practice scrimmages
The games so far have reinforced my theory that players don't care about bowl games in the current era of NIL.

I'm sure many would rather be home for Christmas or on a warm beach than practicing for another month. School admins and programs like ours that share in the wealth love bowl games!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT