ADVERTISEMENT

Strategy tonight?

IUNorth

Hall of Famer
Oct 25, 2002
Here's by Couch Coaching Gameplan

Starters: JHS, Bates, Kopp, TJD, Reneau

Bates starts off on Pickett. JHS and Kopp are instructed to not let the other wings to get much of anything. Dread and Funk, most likely. Stick to them like glue. TJD guards Lundy, Reneau guards their big. No one helps much off Pickett early on. If he scores some early, so be it. He's gonna try to bully his way in the lane anyways, try to reduce how he/they end up beating teams which is him picking apart the defense passing out of the mid post. If he ends up with 25, hard fought, points, but only has a few assists, we have a good chance to win. If he's kicking the ball out and they're knocking down 3's, they'll beat us, probably drill us.

Depending on how the matchup is going, foul situation, etc... Plan to bring Galloway in the game for Reneau if he needs it. Put Galloway on Pickett, Bates on Lundy, TJD on their big.

Another matchup to be ready to use, if needed (save it for late 2nd half), would be TJD guarding Pickett. He isn't necessarily fast. Tell him to keep him in front, don't go for his fakes, make him shoot over your length. He isn't going to bully through TJD. Might be that he could get the crucial stops late, when we'll need them most.

Bring Geronimo in to the game when they have a post oriented big playing, and slide TJD back over on to a wing. Geronimo is a very specific, post oriented 5 man on both ends of the floor. Tell him to rebound everything...that's his only focus.

Offensively...play like we did against Nebraska. TJD playing more on the outside, even bringing the ball up the court at times. Whoever Pickett is guarding, that person needs to run inside and out, off screens, etc... basically all game.

We've been REALLY bad defensively lately. And one of the main problems is our inability to contain the dribble, and to help and recover out to shooters. Pickett is going to dominate the ball, maybe if we don't help on him, it'll help solve one of our main issues? He's not blindingly fast, so he shouldn't beat Bates/Galloway/even TJD with straight line drives. It'll be more Barkley type banger drivers.

Bates starts off on Pickett. JHS and Kopp are instructed to not let the other wings to get much of anything. Dread and Funk, most likely. Stick to them like glue. TJD guards Lundy, Reneau guards their big. No one helps much off Pickett early on. If he scores some early, so be it. He's gonna try to bully his way in the lane anyways, try to reduce how he/they end up beating teams which is him picking apart the defense passing out of the mid post. If he ends up with 25, hard fought, points, but only has a few assists, we have a good chance to win. If he's kicking the ball out and they're knocking down 3's, they'll beat us, probably drill us.

Depending on how the matchup is going, foul situation, etc... Plan to bring Galloway in the game for Reneau if he needs it. Put Galloway on Pickett, Bates on Lundy, TJD on their big.

Another matchup to be ready to use, if needed (save it for late 2nd half), would be TJD guarding Pickett. He isn't necessarily fast. Tell him to keep him in front, don't go for his fakes, make him shoot over your length. He isn't going to bully through TJD. Might be that he could get the crucial stops late, when we'll need them most.

Bring Geronimo in to the game when they have a post oriented big playing, and slide TJD back over on to a wing. Geronimo is a very specific, post oriented 5 man on both ends of the floor. Tell him to rebound everything...that's his only focus.

Offensively...play like we did against Nebraska. TJD playing more on the outside, even bringing the ball up the court at times. Whoever Pickett is guarding, that person needs to run inside and out, off screens, etc... basically all game.

We've been REALLY bad defensively lately. And one of the main problems is our inability to contain the dribble, and to help and recover out to shooters. Pickett is going to dominate the ball, maybe if we don't help on him, it'll help solve one of our main issues? He's not blindingly fast, so he shouldn't beat Bates/Galloway/even TJD with straight line drives. It'll be more Barkley type banger drivers.
We should try and score more than they do tonight.

Not sure I like Bates on Pickett. Why would you not want JHS guarding him? I think he's a better defender and has better size than Bates too. I think JHS and Galloway on Pickett for the most part and let Bates take one of their other wings. Weird team, not tall but thick guys. Dredd I think might have to try Kopp on him, just to have an extra couple inches. I think he would take Bates in the paint.

Not sure I like Bates on Pickett. Why would you not want JHS guarding him? I think he's a better defender and has better size than Bates too. I think JHS and Galloway on Pickett for the most part and let Bates take one of their other wings. Weird team, not tall but thick guys. Dredd I think might have to try Kopp on him, just to have an extra couple inches. I think he would take Bates in the paint.
Bates is a horrendous off the ball defender. He isn't great on the ball, but if you tell him to focus everything on keeping Pickett in front of him, making him work, he has the size and athletic ability to slow him down a bit.

JHS guarding Pickett is obviously a much better matchup. But again, Pickett is going to score mid 20's, probably no matter what. Why not keep JHS out of foul trouble, and have him focus on not letting Dread get hot from the perimeter?

I will say it again. Would love to see BANKS get some playing time. Show us what you have. Can't hurt or be any worse than our other 3 starters/subs.
If the game gets out of hand and that's a strong probability, there is absolutely no reason not to give him solid minutes. Give him and Gunn PT.

Your first sentence reminded me of Tony Hinkle. He kept it simple.

I'm pretty confident that this id the only winnable game in our next 6 the way they are playing, so they better come up with something

Why waste the time and effort worrying about all this when you don't know if we'll even come to play?

Strategy:

Don’t play Geronimo a single minute. Take away the 3.
I don’t think just telling our guys to take away the 3 will work. They’ll have to use specific matchups that lead to that happening. And I have bad visions of us over helping on Pickett tonight, giving up open 3 after open 3.

And I still think if he’s asked to just guard a 5, and play in the paint offensively, Jordan can give value yet.

I don’t think just telling our guys to take away the 3 will work. They’ll have to use specific matchups that lead to that happening. And I have bad visions of us over helping on Pickett tonight, giving up open 3 after open 3.

And I still think if he’s asked to just guard a 5, and play in the paint offensively, Jordan can give value yet.
No, I meant what I said. Take away the 3 at all costs. Their centers are not good. Let their guards drive the lane and meet TJD. We are going to get abused if we help of shooters. TJD will play close to 40 minutes, so Geronimo won’t be able to guard a 5 or play inside.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT