ADVERTISEMENT

Stop the press

“The bill represents one of the most significant actions Congress has taken to advance clean energy since Democrats narrowly passed the Inflation Reduction Act almost two years ago.”

Thanks, Joe!
Interesting that Joe's not crowing about it.

And you know why - he doesn't want to piss off the Greenies by making nuclear power more feasible.

This is what we should have done 30 years ago.

Interesting that Joe's not crowing about it.

And you know why - he doesn't want to piss off the Greenies by making nuclear power more feasible.

This is what we should have done 30 years ago.
Yeah, before Marvin told us who the two senators were that voted no, I knew one had to be Bernie. Surprised they’re weren’t more.

The No Nukes movement ran out of steam long ago. People are finally understanding that nuclear is necessary bridge the gap between fossil fuels and renewables.
I don't know about that. There's a reason nukes are still a dirty word, and no one wants to live anywhere close to a nuclear plant.

We'll see. I think there will be a political blow back, but the desire to keep Trump from winning may overcome their principles.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
I don't know about that. There's a reason nukes are still a dirty word, and no one wants to live anywhere close to a nuclear plant.

We'll see. I think there will be a political blow back, but the desire to keep Trump from winning may overcome their principles.
That’s because they’re ignorant. Sailors and Officers live and work near nuclear plants on every carrier and submarine in the US Navy.

We could go the other way, in an effort to stop Biden for the first time ever Republicans vote to slow AGW.

That’s because they’re ignorant. Sailors and Officers live and work near nuclear plants on every carrier and submarine in the US Navy.
I suspect you’re right. I know I am on the subject. It’s hard not to think of three mile island without trepidation

Gates is working on fast build, safer, small nuclear plants

Remember the small, hit and miss engines that ran a DC generator, that had the intention of being in every house, back in the 30's - 40's..
That is where My thought we might get back around to, with little nuke power cells.
I always come up with the best idea's, and act on them..... second or too late.

Gates is working on fast build, safer, small nuclear plants

In one of his books, economist Nassim Taleb said one of the biggest costs to nuclear power is that there is no standard power plant, almost every single one built is unique. So nuclear power has never had economics of scale. He argued that alone has made nuclear power impossible to compete with coal or natural gas.

It seems Gates' idea may solve that.

In one of his books, economist Nassim Taleb said one of the biggest costs to nuclear power is that there is no standard power plant, almost every single one built is unique. So nuclear power has never had economics of scale. He argued that alone has made nuclear power impossible to compete with coal or natural gas.

It seems Gates' idea may solve that.

Why is that (no standardization)? Wouldn’t the equipment be effectively the same, along with potential layouts?

Reactions: DANC
Why is that (no standardization)? Wouldn’t the equipment be effectively the same, along with potential layouts?
I could not find Taleb saying why, but I found this article which suggests there was an economics of scale (5%). But the limiting factor is that everyone wanted a bigger plant than the last, and some of that did allow for scale but in some areas (cooling) the cost went up more.

Somewhere I saw a link discussing why small/medium plants are the Goldilocks zone. It wasn't from Gates. I suspect if we built medium reactors identically, so a technician could move plants and know immediately everything to work, we would see cost savings.

Remember the small, hit and miss engines that ran a DC generator, that had the intention of being in every house, back in the 30's - 40's..
That is where My thought we might get back around to, with little nuke power cells.
I always come up with the best idea's, and act on them..... second or too late.
A lot of farms that didn't have electricity yet used those back then.

Delco, baby!

• Love
Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
A lot of farms that didn't have electricity yet used those back then.

Delco, baby!
Years ago, I was hired to build a guy a super heavy duty 30' long enclosed trailer, to haul around his washing machine collection. There are national show circuits to show old school washing machines. All of them were cast iron and had their own little micro hit and miss engine power supply. It was wicked learning the history and that people actually have antique washing machine shows.
I mean this was like a $40k trailer in 1998... $$$$
Effing trailer was rated for 24k pounds and 30' long. Holy Hayzues.

• Wow
Reactions: DANC
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT