ADVERTISEMENT

Steele has IU's DL ranked #24 in the country

Surprised, we are not ranked higher honestly .

What's your thinking?

I see Burris; Carpenter; Harrison; Kamara; Sneed; Tucker; West; DePaepe; Carr; Mangum-Farrar as those getting time. Am I missing anyone?

I don't think any of those guys will be 1st or 2nd ABT guys. Perhaps Carpenter with the best chance. Not saying they're bad...there's some capable guys there. However, some of the more productive guys are somewhat undersized. And there's still a depth issue.

What's your thinking?

I see Burris; Carpenter; Harrison; Kamara; Sneed; Tucker; West; DePaepe; Carr; Mangum-Farrar as those getting time. Am I missing anyone?

I don't think any of those guys will be 1st or 2nd ABT guys. Perhaps Carpenter with the best chance. Not saying they're bad...there's some capable guys there. However, some of the more productive guys are somewhat undersized. And there's still a depth issue.
I know you didn't ask me but my 2 cents is that I'm basing my optimism (about the DL) on our two Coaches. I love the fact that we have a dedicated DE Coach who seems to know his business and based on Kuntz's earlier stretch here as a GA working with the DL, he's Really good at his job too... If they are working with the kind of talent our DL guys are supposed to have I think we'll end up being pleasantly surprised...

I know you didn't ask me but my 2 cents is that I'm basing my optimism (about the DL) on our two Coaches. I love the fact that we have a dedicated DE Coach who seems to know his business and based on Kuntz's earlier stretch here as a GA working with the DL, he's Really good at his job too... If they are working with the kind of talent our DL guys are supposed to have I think we'll end up being pleasantly surprised...

Could be......to me, DL looks like some over-achievers, which could be a good thing.....guys like Carpenter, , Kamara & West.

I'm curious as to what position groups you have the most confidence in. I look at it like this:

1. WRs
2. DBs.......I was impressed at the spring game with the transfers from OD & JMU...and I feel we already had a fair amount of talent there from last year.
3. QBs....Looks like we've got 2 better than average BT QBs.
4. DL
5. OL.....I like the 1st 5.... depth is an issue.
6. TBs....To me, the opposite of the OL....good depth but maybe no standout.
7. TEs....Horton can play. I feel like the rest are below-average BT TEs.
8. LBs....My biggest concern right now.. Fisher looks like the best. I liked Turner in the spring game. Logan & Walker were productive at a lower level....Walker perhaps more than Logan. Neither looks like a stud physically. I guess Isiah Jones is in the mix.

From the Spring game I like the OL looked very good on the first team and I thought the 2nd OL looked good. Our RBs looked like they could be very good this year with the OL. Our two QBs looked good and Rouke looked good once he got enough plays to look good. We didn't see him in practice so unless TJ works very hard this summer Rouke will be the starting player do to his experience.

Could be......to me, DL looks like some over-achievers, which could be a good thing.....guys like Carpenter, , Kamara & West.

I'm curious as to what position groups you have the most confidence in. I look at it like this:

1. WRs
2. DBs.......I was impressed at the spring game with the transfers from OD & JMU...and I feel we already had a fair amount of talent there from last year.
4. DL
8. LBs....My biggest concern right now.. Fisher looks like the best. I liked Turner in the spring game. Logan & Walker were productive at a lower level....Walker perhaps more than Logan. Neither looks like a stud physically. I guess Isiah Jones is in the mix.
Without elaborating on what I've already expressed multiple times... That's a good breakdown and I agree that LB appears to be our greatest weakness. Hopefully the DL and the DB's can find a way to mask it as others have indicated they might...

From the Spring game I like the OL looked very good on the first team and I thought the 2nd OL looked good. Our RBs looked like they could be very good this year with the OL. Our two QBs looked good and Rouke looked good once he got enough plays to look good. We didn't see him in practice so unless TJ works very hard this summer Rouke will be the starting player do to his experience.
The simulated 2-min drill showed Rouke’s experience … the starting job seems to be his to lose.
He’ll work hard enough this summer to keep TJ off the field. (Wants to get drafted … by the NFL).
TJ did look improved during the spring game: he may get a couple 1st and 10s to stretch the defense,
provided his decision making remains improved.

Last edited:
Without elaborating on what I've already expressed multiple times... That's a good breakdown and I agree that LB appears to be our greatest weakness. Hopefully the DL and the DB's can find a way to mask it as others have indicated they might...
Good DL play should allow LBs to play fast … DL should get the credit … last year Casey overcame ‘average’ DL play with will, experience and effort. We seem to have enough experience … will and effort may be enough with these LBs.

1. WRs
4. DL
Perhaps DL should be #1 … WRs #2 … We need OL to be 3/4 … achieving that and the complementary pieces should be enough.

BTW Evans is a standout punter, with an upgraded kicker, and sure handed returners. ST should finish better than 9th on this list.

Last edited:
If the staff can build a confidence so dumb mistakes aren't made including penalties are at a minimum I'll be damned pleased. ST's are always an intangible. During this staff's inaugural season I see no reason for ST's to gamble except a last assault. Steady smooth play builds confidence.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT