ADVERTISEMENT

State of the program.

Okay, maybe a bit generous with Brohm but I stand by my point tat Tiller was a miracle worker. Right out of the gate: 9 wins.

That coach was incredible. His downfall was The Morgue not supporting him in the back half of his tenure. IU fans can relate to that because IU was always in the cheap with that kind of thing too.

The back half of Tillers tenure wasn’t about lack of support, he just flat checked out and was spending most of the off season in Wyoming

The back half of Tillers tenure wasn’t about lack of support, he just flat checked out and was spending most of the off season in Wyoming
he was also ill. much more so than most anyone knew.

Also, it wasn't for lack of support from the AD. Success of the FB program at any school starts with the BoT, influenced significantly by the President. The AD can do nothing, if not supported by those above.

IU talks about “breakthroughs.” They blather away with meaningless slogans and what we need to do. Purdue, meanwhile, has a coach that quietly just shuts up and wins games against 3 top 25 teams, obliterating one of them at home while that team was #2 in the nation. IU faithful would be all doing cartwheels over that. It’s the quality of wins.

IU needs to do more put up and also more shut up. It’s stale now.

Which chapter of the Purdue Glee Club did you join?

Did Brohm sign your Decoder ring?

Reactions: kmathum
Okay, maybe a bit generous with Brohm but I stand by my point tat Tiller was a miracle worker. Right out of the gate: 9 wins.

That coach was incredible. His downfall was The Morgue not supporting him in the back half of his tenure. IU fans can relate to that because IU was always in the cheap with that kind of thing too.

I addressed the AD in another post, but you're not correct about Burke. The issue was leadership at the top (BoT and President). Without them, any AD is in trouble.

No doubt, Tiller was in the right place at the right time, with the right game plan. Other B1G programs simply had no answer.

Additionally, Tiller had numerous future NFL O-Linemen (more than 1 earning Super Bowl rings) on that roster. Truth the told, that team was ready to break out, and up to that season they just didn't have the leadership to make it happen.

Don't forget, Tiller's first game was a 14 point loss to a MAC team (Toledo).

Which chapter of the Purdue Glee Club did you join?

Did Brohm sign your Decoder ring?

Hey, I’m just stating the cold, hard facts. One guy came in and immediately got it done and the other is still trying to find his way around. Don’t be pissed at me or Purdue for that matter. Get mad at our university and the hairbrained decisions that put us in the messes we get ourselves into time and again. I admire Jeff Brohm because he is a great coach. It sucks we don’t have him to be honest. That is not “being in love” with Purdue. It’s more frustration with our own goofy administration for their bumbling around for so many years.

As we now know, Joe was already suffering from the terminal autoimmune disease that eventually took his life in 2017.

Reactions: vesuvius13
One has to be fairly young to think of the 1987 season as some sort of "gold standard" for IU football--IMO, 1967 and 1945 were CLEARLY the gold standards for IU football, not 1987.

And, yes, if IU goes 5-7 again in 2019 there will be numerous fans calling for CTA's dismissal. And, in one sense, they'll be justified: such a record would demonstrate that Allen's very likely in over his head trying to be the the head coach at an FBS program.

But in addition to being "justified" they'd also probably be engaging in futility: I simply see no reason (& never have seen any) to assume Allen won't get, from Glass, AT LEAST as long as Lynch got to get to .500 and to a 4th- or 5th-tier bowl game.

So, in a sense, this year's recruiting class, and next season's won-loss record, don't matter as much as some fans want to think they do. At least, not in Glass' estimation.
Lynch was HC for 3 years. He was interim coach, named in JUNE of that year. Hep couldn't even recruit his last year. For at least 3 years, IU's recruiting was dead in the water.

Considering the situation, Lynch was a miracle worker, going for a winning season in 2007 and coming within 1 dropped pass of going to a bowl game his last year.

Lynch has one strong season riding on the emotion of Hep. After that? His teams got progressively worse. 2008-2010 were just horrific. He had one game at NW with a 28-0 lead and lost. He was IUs version of Hazell.
False. He had a down year after his WINNING season - our last one - and then IMPROVED every year after that.

You really are way off base. A lot.

False. He had a down year after his WINNING season - our last one - and then IMPROVED every year after that.

You really are way off base. A lot.

I cannot believe we are rewriting history here. This has got to be a joke. Lynch was an awful coach. Good guy. Very good guy. Terrible coach. That Wisconsin game was a group that gave up on its coach. The evidence was there early in 2006 when he was an interim for both SIU and UConn games. Now, we are trying to say he was good?

What’s next from you? After some time of reflection you’ll be saying Crean got the shaft at IU because he was solid?

“One guy came in and immediately got it done and the other is still trying to find his way around.”

To the extent that is true, (and I don’t agree - if you can’t see Allen’s potential, that’s a YOU problem), its only the difference in Brohm running a team in AF2 for a year and at WKU. It’s not any evidence of a difference in football acumen, and only a dumbass would suggest that IU repeat the mistake of letting a guy his OTJ, then fire him so he use the experience elsewhere. The same folks who bitched about Addazio and Canada are bitching about Allen now.

“I admire Jeff Brohm because he is a great coach.”

We’ll see. He won at Western with Petrino recruits, and 2 mediocre years at Purdue is not enough ti deem his “great.” Too much too soon.

“One guy came in and immediately got it done and the other is still trying to find his way around.”

To the extent that is true, (and I don’t agree - if you can’t see Allen’s potential, that’s a YOU problem), its only the difference in Brohm running a team in AF2 for a year and at WKU. It’s not any evidence of a difference in football acumen, and only a dumbass would suggest that IU repeat the mistake of letting a guy his OTJ, then fire him so he use the experience elsewhere. The same folks who bitched about Addazio and Canada are bitching about Allen now.

“I admire Jeff Brohm because he is a great coach.”

We’ll see. He won at Western with Petrino recruits, and 2 mediocre years at Purdue is not enough ti deem his “great.” Too much too soon.

Allen took over a program with 2 back-to-back bowls and promptly had two losing seasons. Brohm inherited a dumpster fire and took them to 2 back-to-back bowls immediately. You tell me who is better? One talks about breakthrough wins. The other does it.

Reactions: BigTimeAt69
I cannot believe we are rewriting history here. This has got to be a joke. Lynch was an awful coach. Good guy. Very good guy. Terrible coach. That Wisconsin game was a group that gave up on its coach. The evidence was there early in 2006 when he was an interim for both SIU and UConn games. Now, we are trying to say he was good?

What’s next from you? After some time of reflection you’ll be saying Crean got the shaft at IU because he was solid?

The things to which you assign competitive and dispositive importance are bewildering.

You are the cat who will not touch a hot stove ... or a cold one. :cool:

Lynch performed a miracle and had the respect of Indiana high school coaches. Still does. If given the years that we gave to Wilson, it is a safe bet he would have won more than the 26 Wilson won, because he wouldn’t have gone 5-19 in 2011 and 2012.

don't really agree that 87 was the gold standard yr, but is was a really good one.

as for NW, they have been better as of late, and once were a disaster, but they shouldn't have been the disaster they were to the extent they were.

IU, MSU, UM, OSU, PSU, ILL, Iowa, Minn, Wisc, PU, are all each states' versions of one another.

NW is a small private rich kids school in an upscale part of Chicago that's more like ND and Duke as a school, and like few other big 5 schools for location and campus, and thus can differentiate themselves from the rest of the B10 and most other big 5 schools to recruits.

no reason they shouldn't have a much better athletic history than they do.

i wasn't around in 45, but 67 is the gold standard of my time.

that said, i agree that it's often a very fine line, a bounce here or there, a call here or there, that differentiates a good or great yr from a less great one.

we have a historically very competitive team for us, a coach we have a chance to retain in the face of success, a beautiful stadium, and while sometimes "on the brink" can last longer than we'd like, it sure beats not being on the brink, or having to worry that too much success could cost us a HC.

agree that we are lucky to have CTA.

probably why the troll farmers are desperately directing so much energy his direction.
"Historically very competitive team for us?" LOL. Being happy with that is the embodiment of accepting mediocrity. Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?

I guess if you've been proven wrong and can't argue facts, you resort to ridicule.

It's your MO, so go for it.

Reactions: 82hoosier
The things to which you assign competitive and dispositive importance are bewildering.

Lynch performed a miracle and had the respect of Indiana high school coaches. Still does. If given the years that we gave to Wilson, it is a safe bet he would have won more than the 26 Wilson won, because he wouldn’t have gone 5-19 in 2011 and 2012.
Don't forget Wilson's 1 win year his first year.....

Don't forget Wilson's 1 win year his first year.....
Be prepared for the "But Wilson inherited a shitshow" response from the Wilson fans - - a claim that simply isn't true. They'll point to the horrible loss against Wisconsin, a loss that certainly can't be sugarcoated, but Wilson too suffered a few beatdowns in his six years at the helm. But the bottom line is this - - The 2010 Hoosiers were a dropped sure-TD pass by Demarlo Belcher from beating #15 Iowa and going bowling. It was hardly a shitshow.

Allen took over a program with 2 back-to-back bowls and promptly had two losing seasons. Brohm inherited a dumpster fire and took them to 2 back-to-back bowls immediately. You tell me who is better? One talks about breakthrough wins. The other does it.

This is a silly argument that has been refuted repeatedly.

The fact that IU went to bowls in 2015 and 2016 does not mean they had a great team waiting in the wings for 2017. Jimbo Fisher went 10-3 in 2015 and 10-3 in 2016. By this silly logic he now sucks because he went 5-6 in 2017?

Nope.

Maybe other things impact a team?

Yep.

Each circumstance and each team is different.

Brohm is a good coach. I’ve said it here multiple times. But that doesn’t mean he is the Jesus of Football.

According to you guys, we suck, so falling across the line and winning 6 by beating what you claim is a shitty IU program with a shitty coach doesn’t mean Brohm is somehow HOF material. Beating Ohio State doesn’t change that. (If Allen beat Ohio State and lost to Eastern Michigan you guys would bitch about him - you apply different rules to each coach.)

And it doesn’t require people to crap on Allen like he is just some turd of a coach. If you can’t like Brohm without crapping on Allen and IU, it says way more about you than it does Allen and IU. Either evaluate both fairly, on their own merits, under their separate circumstances, or kindly STFU. Spewing unfair stupid is not the only option.

(What the hell happened to you? You used to have some sense. Now you whine like a third grader. You put up with IU losses? So what. Get in line. You too good to support a team win or lose? Go be a Bama fan. See how you like it.)

This is a silly argument that has been refuted repeatedly.

The fact that IU went to bowls in 2015 and 2016 does not mean they had a great team waiting in the wings for 2017. Jimbo Fisher went 10-3 in 2015 and 10-3 in 2016. By this silly logic he now sucks because he went 5-6 in 2017?

Nope.

Maybe other things impact a team?

Yep.

Each circumstance and each team is different.

Brohm is a good coach. I’ve said it here multiple times. But that doesn’t mean he is the Jesus of Football.

According to you guys, we suck, so falling across the line and winning 6 by beating what you claim is a shitty IU program with a shitty coach doesn’t mean Brohm is somehow HOF material. Beating Ohio State doesn’t change that. (If Allen beat Ohio State and lost to Eastern Michigan you guys would bitch about him - you apply different rules to each coach.)

And it doesn’t require people to crap on Allen like he is just some turd of a coach. If you can’t like Brohm without crapping on Allen and IU, it says way more about you than it does Allen and IU. Either evaluate both fairly, on their own merits, under their separate circumstances, or kindly STFU. Spewing unfair stupid is not the only option.

(What the hell happened to you? You used to have some sense. Now you whine like a third grader. You put up with IU losses? So what. Get in line. You too good to support a team win or lose? Go be a Bama fan. See how you like it.)

I’m not whining here. The truth of the matter is that while Allen may develop into a fine coach, he’s no Brohm. That is just the way it is and if you are fine with never beating Purdue while Brohm remains there, so be it. Live with it.

I’m not whining here. The truth of the matter is that while Allen may develop into a fine coach, he’s no Brohm. That is just the way it is and if you are fine with never beating Purdue while Brohm remains there, so be it. Live with it.
go back to bama.
giphy.gif

Wilson won 4 Big Ten games in his last year at Indiana (and was made to play 9, btw). Until his last game as head coach, Bill Lynch won all of 2 Big Ten games in three years, needing the OT win vs. the dirty Boilers to bump that number to three. 3 years, 3 Big Ten wins. That's irrefutable.

He may have the respect of the HS coaches in Indiana, but that didn't translate to sustainable recruiting success, and certainly didn't lead to conference wins.

Oh, but he improved every year, right? Go back and look at that Non-conf. schedule. Hardly amounts to what it is today.

Lynch is an exceptional football coach. At DePauw. Or a Butler.

At Indiana he was a disaster. One that could have been prevented if better decisions had been made at the time he was hired.

Be prepared for the "But Wilson inherited a shitshow" response from the Wilson fans - - a claim that simply isn't true. They'll point to the horrible loss against Wisconsin, a loss that certainly can't be sugarcoated, but Wilson too suffered a few beatdowns in his six years at the helm. But the bottom line is this - - The 2010 Hoosiers were a dropped sure-TD pass by Demarlo Belcher from beating #15 Iowa and going bowling. It was hardly a shitshow.

I love how you dismiss that Wisconsin loss as if it was an anomaly. 83 points to the Badgers is a lot more telling than one dropped pass vs. Iowa.

3 Big Ten wins in 3 years.

Wilson certainly had his issues, no question. But he left the program lightyears ahead of where it was when he started. That doesn't change no matter how many times you say otherwise.

Oh, I've heard it. And I was at the North Texas game and saw what a much better coach Wilson was. I was at the Bowling Green game when I saw his coaching prowess.

Wilson did some good things. But he certainly didn't inherit a 'shit show'.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I love how you dismiss that Wisconsin loss as if it was an anomaly. 83 points to the Badgers is a lot more telling than one dropped pass vs. Iowa.

3 Big Ten wins in 3 years.

Wilson certainly had his issues, no question. But he left the program lightyears ahead of where it was when he started. That doesn't change no matter how many times you say otherwise.
And I love how you never miss a chance to bring up that Wisconsin game, when our team was decimated by injuries. Wisconsin was at their peak. It was an anomaly.

Let's see how Wilson or Allen would do if they're taking over a team where the head coach was dying of cancer in year 2 and they weren't named interim until June of the year the coach died. Let's see how they'd do if we had zero recruiting 3 years prior to their becoming HC.

We get it - you don't want to discuss those things. But that's why IU has historically been a bad football program. We don't see problems and try to correct them - we just change coaches while leaving everything the same and expect different results. Lynch stabalized the program after recovering from years of negative recruiting against us for Hep's cancer. He was, indeed, one dropped pass away from going to a bowl game against a ranked Iowa. But no - you want to remember one game where we got blown out.

Normally, you're somewhat rational. But you're missing the mark on Lynch.

And I love how you never miss a chance to bring up that Wisconsin game, when our team was decimated by injuries. Wisconsin was at their peak. It was an anomaly.

Let's see how Wilson or Allen would do if they're taking over a team where the head coach was dying of cancer in year 2 and they weren't named interim until June of the year the coach died. Let's see how they'd do if we had zero recruiting 3 years prior to their becoming HC.

We get it - you don't want to discuss those things. But that's why IU has historically been a bad football program. We don't see problems and try to correct them - we just change coaches while leaving everything the same and expect different results. Lynch stabalized the program after recovering from years of negative recruiting against us for Hep's cancer. He was, indeed, one dropped pass away from going to a bowl game against a ranked Iowa. But no - you want to remember one game where we got blown out.

Normally, you're somewhat rational. But you're missing the mark on Lynch.

3 Big Ten wins in 3 years. That is a sh!tshow.

Yes, I tend to remember 83 points to the Badgers as it represents the play of an entire game as opposed to one dropped pass. Indiana was winless in the Big Ten that year until overtime in the last game of the season vs. the Boilers.

That's not missing the mark on Lynch. He's not a Div. I coach for a reason.

I'll happily discuss anything you'd like.

Indiana is a historically bad football program because of the terrible decisions (i.e. coaching hires) made by the Athletic Directors...spanning several tenures and decades. You're correct, Indiana keeps making the same mistakes. Over and over and over.

Given the record of the previous four years to deem Brohm’s two years as mediocre is the epitome of absolute partisanship. Not that it is a surprise but your opinion represents a minuscule fraction of media, coaches and fans who know anything about college football. What platitude would you reserve for any IU coach in his second year on the job who posted three wins over ranked teams including beating a # 5 ranked team that you haven’t vanquished in 30 years?

6-6 isn’t mediocre

Got it

The anti-Brohm meme is he rode Petrino’s coattails and won with his talent, and won 6 with Hazells kid after Hazell turned them into juniors and seniors.

The pro-Brohm meme is 6 wins is superior coaching - see Ohio State and ignore Eastern Michigan.

I subscribe to neither wholly.

Enjoy the coronation ... until you demand his ass on a platter

all this slobbering over pu's fb coach by so called iu fans is making me sick. i think i need a Brohmo-seltzer.

Stupid decisions during games and being a jerk is.

And being Hal Mumme light is not much of a claim to fame

Wilson wasted a lot

Well he must not have been too bad. Back-to-back bowls and an extension from Fred, despite his 'personality' issues until something more serious came to light.

Please don't lump him into the same company with that cheater Mumme. That's a bit unfair.

3 Big Ten wins in 3 years. That is a sh!tshow.

Yes, I tend to remember 83 points to the Badgers as it represents the play of an entire game as opposed to one dropped pass. Indiana was winless in the Big Ten that year until overtime in the last game of the season vs. the Boilers.

That's not missing the mark on Lynch. He's not a Div. I coach for a reason.

I'll happily discuss anything you'd like.

Indiana is a historically bad football program because of the terrible decisions (i.e. coaching hires) made by the Athletic Directors...spanning several tenures and decades. You're correct, Indiana keeps making the same mistakes. Over and over and over.
Urban Meyer would have gotten blown out by Wisconsin, given the recruiting, or lack thereof, that Lynch had to endure.

I guess if you ignore reality, your viewpoint makes sense.

Well he must not have been too bad. Back-to-back bowls and an extension from Fred, despite his 'personality' issues until something more serious came to light.

Please don't lump him into the same company with that cheater Mumme. That's a bit unfair.
Fred gave Crean an extension. Do you really want to hang your hat on Fred's extensions as indication of good coaching?

Urban Meyer would have gotten blown out by Wisconsin, given the recruiting, or lack thereof, that Lynch had to endure.

I guess if you ignore reality, your viewpoint makes sense.

Reality?

Lynch couldn't improve recruiting after 3 YEARS as head coach? Nonsense.

You know who agrees with me? Fred Glass.

That's why Lynch was removed as coach.

Fred gave Crean an extension. Do you really want to hang your hat on Fred's extensions as indication of good coaching?

Absolutely not. But doesn't that kinda make his decision to promote Allen as suspect as well...?

Are you implying that Wilson shouldn't have been extended after back-to-back bowl seasons? Yeah, that sounds perfectly reasonable.

Absolutely not. But doesn't that kinda make his decision to promote Allen as suspect as well...?

Are you implying that Wilson shouldn't have been extended after back-to-back bowl seasons? Yeah, that sounds perfectly reasonable.
If he knew Wilson wouldn't follow the rules, then no, he shouldn't have been extended.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT