ADVERTISEMENT

State Championships Saturday

But not in the tourney. Unlike North Daviess they aren't willing to play up to a level that tests them. They only play up to 2A because they have to based on previous success. Otherwise you can be they would be back in 1A. I have no respect for a program that has the ability to pick and choose from among the second-largest city in the state being content to play against true small-community schools in the state tournament.

They also play larger schools in the regular season because many of the smaller schools in the area want nothing to do with them. They know how Blackhawk constructs its program. When Blackhawk opts to put on some big boy pants and play in that 4A sectional with the city schools get back to me about respecting them.
I might be wrong but I think that in terms of school attendance Blackhawk is a 1A school. They moved up to 2A because of past tourney success. Now the reason why I could be wrong is I don't know their current enrollment.

Private/parochial schools have such an advantage over public schools. Then they take less than half the crowds public schools do typically, and then some with their smug arrogance dismiss the idea they have an advantage.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
If they want to play "up", absolutely true. Any school can choose to play in any class above its own assignment in any sport. They can't play lower, obviously. And they can pick which sports they wish to play in higher classes without impacting their other teams. The success factor that moves a school up is also "sport-specific"
Isn't the success factor placed on the school by the Ihsaa? From memory as I said before Blackhawk was a 1A school. I believe when they won their first championship Caleb Furst's sophomore yr they 1A. Then from what I believe happened was the IHSAA told them to move up. I don't know why Blackhawk with their current enrollment would move up to 4A as you suggested in another post. That is too big of a jump.

Isn't the success factor placed on the school by the Ihsaa? From memory as I said before Blackhawk was a 1A school. I believe when they won their first championship Caleb Furst's sophomore yr they 1A. Then from what I believe happened was the IHSAA told them to move up. I don't know why Blackhawk with their current enrollment would move up to 4A as you suggested in another post. That is too big of a jump.
You missed my point. Blackhawk's school and community demographics give it a far greater pool of athletes to draw from than any community public school in either 1A or 2A. Yes, it's enrollment is 1A. Current enrollment is 245 and the top of 1A is 283. Yes, they are playing in 2A currently because they have to due to the success factor. I was suggesting that if they could move back to 1A they would, where they would have even more of an advantage.

I said what I said about playing in a 4A sectional because you were praising them for playing bigger schools. In fact, they are drawing athletes from as large a population base as the other Ft. Wayne schools - even greater since the public 4A's have district boundaries. My point is that playing in 2A is no hardship whatsoever for FWB. The 2A schools they are competing against have a much smaller population base. Their enrollments include students with disabilities, transient students, non-English speakers, students with uninvolved parents and unstable homelives, students with drug and alcohol problems - significant numbers of kids who are highly unlikely to participate in any extracurricular activities. My guess is that FWB, while drawing from a potential student pool of 200,000-plus residents, has few, if any of those types of students that must be counted among that 245.

I would be willing to say that the "natural" class for FWB, or Indy Lutheran would be 3A. Their athletic pool would be equivalent to public schools at least double their size. A school like Guerin Catholic should be able to compete with 4A public schools, especially those in the lower 4A numbers. What FWB is doing isn't at all impressive in terms of their competition - even at 2A. The current rules allow them to do so, and thus there is no real incentive for them to do otherwise. I simply said that I am not impressed and have little respect for urban/suburban privates - especially those largely populated by students from economically-advantaged households - who choose not to challenge themselves by playing in their "natural" class.

He's been connected with Blackhawk for a few years. He was close to Marc Davidson, the previous coach ( might have even been on staff). He's just following Davidson's model. This isn't particularly about Roth for me, it's about the enormous advantage of urban or large suburban area private schools in the class sports system. Check the success history of these types of schools in the lower three classes in the class era compared to single-class days in all sports. It's especially troublesome that guys like Roth and Schilling can recruit from their basketball academies to stock their high school teams.
Well this is why the point system was put in place. It got off track recently because the ihsaa did not track ‘20 and ‘21 so it is true some schools haven’t moved up that normally would have but BH did get moved up. I’m on vaca with a HS bball coach (that plays BH every year incidentally) and he told me he literally has no idea what you are talking about that schools will ask the ihsaa to play in a higher division?? He has never heard of this in 15 years of coaching.

I mean until today BH had two state titles and the player and coach that won them are both gone.

I am well aware from my coaching friends that private schools enjoy some specific advantages in Indiana but I am very familiar with BHCS and I reject your characterization of how they run their program, and specifically that they avoid competition. They have very high standards and do not shy away from large schools.

It’s also naive to act like public schools don’t recruit or at least benefit from transfers. The last time my daughter’s girls team made a run three of the starters were transfers.

Private/parochial schools have such an advantage over public schools. Then they take less than half the crowds public schools do typically, and then some with their smug arrogance dismiss the idea they have an advantage.
They don’t deny an advantage, particularly in the area of transfer eligibility, but they would claim the point system reduces the impact of this.

You missed my point. Blackhawk's school and community demographics give it a far greater pool of athletes to draw from than any community public school in either 1A or 2A. Yes, it's enrollment is 1A. Current enrollment is 245 and the top of 1A is 283. Yes, they are playing in 2A currently because they have to due to the success factor. I was suggesting that if they could move back to 1A they would, where they would have even more of an advantage.

I said what I said about playing in a 4A sectional because you were praising them for playing bigger schools. In fact, they are drawing athletes from as large a population base as the other Ft. Wayne schools - even greater since the public 4A's have district boundaries. My point is that playing in 2A is no hardship whatsoever for FWB. The 2A schools they are competing against have a much smaller population base. Their enrollments include students with disabilities, transient students, non-English speakers, students with uninvolved parents and unstable homelives, students with drug and alcohol problems - significant numbers of kids who are highly unlikely to participate in any extracurricular activities. My guess is that FWB, while drawing from a potential student pool of 200,000-plus residents, has few, if any of those types of students that must be counted among that 245.

I would be willing to say that the "natural" class for FWB, or Indy Lutheran would be 3A. Their athletic pool would be equivalent to public schools at least double their size. A school like Guerin Catholic should be able to compete with 4A public schools, especially those in the lower 4A numbers. What FWB is doing isn't at all impressive in terms of their competition - even at 2A. The current rules allow them to do so, and thus there is no real incentive for them to do otherwise. I simply said that I am not impressed and have little respect for urban/suburban privates - especially those largely populated by students from economically-advantaged households - who choose not to challenge themselves by playing in their "natural" class.
One of the points I was making was FT Wayne Blackhawk plays higher class schools during the year. In my mind it makes them very tough for the tournament. From my understanding can't any high school in Fort Wayne accept students from any area of the city and surrounding area? If this is true then what exact advantage does FWBH have? If I wanted my kid to go to North or South Side then I could choose one. But with private schools there is a charge to go to that school. So FWBH in a sense has a disadvantage don't they? They couldn't get kids from anywhere because the parents have to have the ability to pay for their child to go to school there.

I can appreciate the logic here BUT to take that and make assumptions like “you can bet they would be in A if they could” or “the only reason they play big schools is that no small schools will play them” (which I know for a fact is not true) is subjective and totally unnecessary.

I know for a fact at least Furst and the Sefton kid have been there since kindergarten, and Davidson since elementary school (all starters).

Stop pretending to know things about BCHS that you don’t know.

Last edited:
Brad Miller country? Another I wouldve liked to see at IU.

Miller hung out at IU on the weekends, was good friends with one of my good friends. I never asked him if he wanted to be a Hoosier.

He averaged like 12 and 10 his senior year of HS against mediocre competition so doubting he was even recruited by anyone at IU.

Well this is why the point system was put in place. It got off track recently because the ihsaa did not track ‘20 and ‘21 so it is true some schools haven’t moved up that normally would have but BH did get moved up. I’m on vaca with a HS bball coach (that plays BH every year incidentally) and he told me he literally has no idea what you are talking about that schools will ask the ihsaa to play in a higher division?? He has never heard of this in 15 years of coaching.

I mean until today BH had two state titles and the player and coach that won them are both gone.

I am well aware from my coaching friends that private schools enjoy some specific advantages in Indiana but I am very familiar with BHCS and I reject your characterization of how they run their program, and specifically that they avoid competition. They have very high standards and do not shy away from large schools.

It’s also naive to act like public schools don’t recruit or at least benefit from transfers. The last time my daughter’s girls team made a run three of the starters were transfers.
Tell your friend to check again. North Daviess is doing this very thing right now. It has been historically a 1A school. Its enrollment this year pushed it into class 2A - at the very bottom of the class with 286 students. ND opted to play boys' basketball in class 3A this year and next. You can challenge my knowledg on this, but you are going to find out I'm correct. Any school may opt to reclassify to a higher class in any sport. It just has to remain in that class until the next reclassification cycle ( currently 2 years). It's unusual, but it does happen. A few years ago there were some small Muncie-area public schools that opted to play up a class in volleyball to avoid a couple of private school powerhouses. I've never known of a private school that voluntarily moved up a class (and I don't blame them).

I am not talking about recruiting or transfers here, which is certainly not exclusive to private schools. I'm talking about "natural" enrollment classes based on potential pools of athletes. This is where the types of private schools I mentioned in the previous post ( large population areas, small student body mostly comprised of households with solid economic foundations) get a huge advantage in the class system. There are lots of parochial schools in smaller population communities ( think Washington Catholic) or schools in urban dioceses ( Scecina or Ritter HS in Indy) which are populated with lots of students with limited economic means or less-stable households, who are not necessarily at an advantage. It's not due to anything devious on the part of the schools, it's a huge flaw in the design of the class system in this state. The success factor offsets it to some degree, but not to the level it. needs to be addressed.

Let me provide you with one small example. There is a parochial school in the community where I teach. Its a 1A school located in a high population, high-income county. A family I know had a son and daughter who were outstanding athletes attending this school. Both received financial aid ( officially classified as "academic scholarships") in addition to state-supported vouchers. The family has a third child, a daughter with Downs' Syndrome. When the parents wanted to enroll her in the same private school, the school rejected her based on the reasoning that it could not reasonably accommodate her needs. So she attended the school where I teach, and counted in our enrollment for IHSAA classification purposes - even though she would never be able to participate in any sanctioned sport. At the time, we were one of the smallest schools in 4A, and we had dozens of students like this, in addition to those types of students I mentioned before. Yet, when I was actively coaching, our basketball sectional was comprised of us and five other schools with at least 400 more students than we had. Three of those schools had enrollment of more than 2000 students. The 1A school I mention, competed in a sectional with only public schools from rural areas or small-towns with enrollments of less than 250 kids, who had to take all students living in their district - regardless of their demographic.

So as you can understand, I take issue with the IHSAA's definition of fairness in the class setting. My apologies for the lengthy rant, but I want people to understand my disdain for the current system and the significant advantages it affords many private schools.

One of the points I was making was FT Wayne Blackhawk plays higher class schools during the year. In my mind it makes them very tough for the tournament. From my understanding can't any high school in Fort Wayne accept students from any area of the city and surrounding area? If this is true then what exact advantage does FWBH have? If I wanted my kid to go to North or South Side then I could choose one. But with private schools there is a charge to go to that school. So FWBH in a sense has a disadvantage don't they? They couldn't get kids from anywhere because the parents have to have the ability to pay for their child to go to school there.
Technically, students cannot attend outside their district's boundaries purely for athletic purposes, though that rule is rarely enforced these days. Transferring to another public school once the student enrolls in a different public school is scrutinized much more closely. And those schools that accept ANY transfer student must accept ALL transfers as well as ALL students within the district. Therefore, they cannot limit their enrollments to remain in, or get to a lower classification. Private schools have the luxury of choosing whom they wish to accept.

As for paying, Indiana has the most generous voucher system in the nation. Any household with an income up to 150k for a family of 4( 200k for a household of 6) qualifies for a 90% tuition reimbursement. In addition, it's no secret that the best athletes usually receive additional scholarships. Cost, which used to be a barrier to attending private schools and created a true hardship, is no longer an issue.

Tell your friend to check again. North Daviess is doing this very thing right now. It has been historically a 1A school. Its enrollment this year pushed it into class 2A - at the very bottom of the class with 286 students. ND opted to play boys' basketball in class 3A this year and next. You can challenge my knowledg on this, but you are going to find out I'm correct. Any school may opt to reclassify to a higher class in any sport. It just has to remain in that class until the next reclassification cycle ( currently 2 years). It's unusual, but it does happen. A few years ago there were some small Muncie-area public schools that opted to play up a class in volleyball to avoid a couple of private school powerhouses. I've never known of a private school that voluntarily moved up a class (and I don't blame them).

I am not talking about recruiting or transfers here, which is certainly not exclusive to private schools. I'm talking about "natural" enrollment classes based on potential pools of athletes. This is where the types of private schools I mentioned in the previous post ( large population areas, small student body mostly comprised of households with solid economic foundations) get a huge advantage in the class system. There are lots of parochial schools in smaller population communities ( think Washington Catholic) or schools in urban dioceses ( Scecina or Ritter HS in Indy) which are populated with lots of students with limited economic means or less-stable households, who are not necessarily at an advantage. It's not due to anything devious on the part of the schools, it's a huge flaw in the design of the class system in this state. The success factor offsets it to some degree, but not to the level it. needs to be addressed.

Let me provide you with one small example. There is a parochial school in the community where I teach. Its a 1A school located in a high population, high-income county. A family I know had a son and daughter who were outstanding athletes attending this school. Both received financial aid ( officially classified as "academic scholarships") in addition to state-supported vouchers. The family has a third child, a daughter with Downs' Syndrome. When the parents wanted to enroll her in the same private school, the school rejected her based on the reasoning that it could not reasonably accommodate her needs. So she attended the school where I teach, and counted in our enrollment for IHSAA classification purposes - even though she would never be able to participate in any sanctioned sport. At the time, we were one of the smallest schools in 4A, and we had dozens of students like this, in addition to those types of students I mentioned before. Yet, when I was actively coaching, our basketball sectional was comprised of us and five other schools with at least 400 more students than we had. Three of those schools had enrollment of more than 2000 students. The 1A school I mention, competed in a sectional with only public schools from rural areas or small-towns with enrollments of less than 250 kids, who had to take all students living in their district - regardless of their demographic.

So as you can understand, I take issue with the IHSAA's definition of fairness in the class setting. My apologies for the lengthy rant, but I want people to understand my disdain for the current system and the significant advantages it affords many private schools.
I’m not challenging the fact that’s it’s technically correct, just your implication that it’s a clear and obvious thing to do for a school with 200 kids and 2 titles under its belt to “put on its big boy pants” and petition the ihsaa to play up multiple levels. Like it’s not enough to play Homestead, Carrol etc every year.

I’m not challenging the fact that’s it’s technically correct, just your implication that it’s a clear and obvious thing to do for a school with 200 kids and 2 titles under its belt to “put on its big boy pants” and petition the ihsaa to play up multiple levels. Like it’s not enough to play Homestead, Carrol etc every year.
I'm not accusing FWB of doing anything untoward. And I stated clearly that I don't blame schools for staying in the class assigned. I'm pointing out that in the current system, schools like the three playing for state championships today enjoy a clear advantage. I am indicting the system, not the schools.

My comment about the "big boy" pants was in response to VanPastorMan's admiration for their willingness to play large schools. My point is that it doesn't impress me. It's not like FWB is out of its league to do so. Thus my comment that if they want to earn my respect, they could play those city public schools in the sectional as well. That would tell me that they were willing to risk something substantial to be considered special. I don't expect them to do that. I don't demean them for not doing it. I'm merely stating that currently, even in 2A they have a signiificant advantage over their competition in the state tournament. It's not like they are David in the Goliath story.

Reactions: bkiefer7
I live in NE Indiana. Blackhawk owns a distinct advantage(advantage, not rule breaking)and they exercise it. They are not in a novel position in Allen County scholastic athletics. Bishop Dwenger and Bishop Luers had success before BHC. Not a lie, not a myth and Coug has described it clearly.

Reactions: brianiu
People used to talk the same negative crap about Bishop Dwinger VB in the Eva Hudson era when they had multiple 20 win seasons and won a state title. HC Tim Houser got sick of it and added each players elementary school to their stats in the game program. Every single girl came from a parochial elementary school. Point made!

Building a perennial winner is way harder than just steering a few kids into the school. Don’t kid yourself.

People used to talk the same negative crap about Bishop Dwinger VB in the Eva Hudson era when they had multiple 20 win seasons and won a state title. HC Tim Houser got sick of it and added each players elementary school to their stats in the game program. Every single girl came from a parochial elementary school. Point made!

Building a perennial winner is way harder than just steering a few kids into the school. Don’t kid yourself.
That may be true, but building a perennial winner at a small private school in a huge metropolitan area is damn sight easier than building one in a small community public school. Don't kid yourself. The facts bear it out.

Yeah, it's a shame. I always looked forward to watching the state finals on our local station every year. Then FOX Sports Midwest began broadcasting it, but no longer. Hell, I'm a DISHTV customer and FOX Sports Midwest and FOX Sports Central has been removed and the Chicago Sports Channel for the Cubs games has long since been removed as well (probably around 5 years now). I'm listening to the IHSAA 2A champiinship game on 93.3 Sports (Linton).
3 of the 4 championship games were on Bally Sports Indiana. The 3A game was on BSI Extra due to the Pacers game on BSI.

Reactions: brianiu
Looked like Linton was going to run away with it like Lutheran did in the 1st game.
As Blackhawk made their run, Linton somewhat panicked. They took several ill-advised threes instead of running the offense and finding a good shot. I thought their coach, who is new and interim, should have called a TO and settled the team. Regardless, they had a great season.

3 of the 4 championship games were on Bally Sports Indiana. The 3A game was on BSI Extra due to the Pacers game on BSI.
Well, I must admit that senility has long since taken up residence here, but I searched (probably too speedy) the DISHTV guide and couldn't locate Bally Sports because I wanted to set the DVR. I don't know if it was available in our area, or I just surfed by it. Probably, the latter. My wife and I were traveling to Evansville, anyway, so I was able to listen to Linton's game. Tough loss for the Miners.

As Blackhawk made their run, Linton somewhat panicked. They took several ill-advised threes instead of running the offense and finding a good shot. I thought their coach, who is new and interim, should have called a TO and settled the team. Regardless, they had a great season.
That's what it sounded like to me, too. Out of character for the always poised disciplined Linton team that I've watched a few times. Bad 3rd quarter hitting something like 2 of 15 from the field. Tough loss.

Well, I must admit that senility has long since taken up residence here, but I searched (probably too speedy) the DISHTV guide and couldn't locate Bally Sports because I wanted to set the DVR. I don't know if it was available in our area, or I just surfed by it. Probably, the latter. My wife and I were traveling to Evansville, anyway, so I was able to listen to Linton's game. Tough loss for the Miners.
I have DISH as well and DISH doesn't carry Bally. I couldn't watch the games either. I don't know if there is a dispute between DISH and Bally, or if they have never carried BSN.

I have DISH as well and DISH doesn't carry Bally. I couldn't watch the games either. I don't know if there is a dispute between DISH and Bally, or if they have never carried BSN.
I don't know, either. I've just never spotted it on the guide and I would be willing to bet that a dispute is involved. DISH always seems to be involved in a contract dispute. I've been with DISH since '09 and have dropped down a tier to lesson the blow, somewhat, on my wallet, but I'm becoming more and more dissatisfied with them. Losing both FOX Sports channels may be the deciding factor to push me to try Hulu, etc., although I will have to research their programming offers, especially, for sports.

Direct in the northern part of the state is stuck with the Chicago sports channel anyway. Ive been thinking of switching to Dish , interesting perspectives. Get the 3 yr new customer price lock and who knows what will be available by then. Hoping for better internet soon.

Reactions: TerhuneHoosierfan
Direct in the northern part of the state is stuck with the Chicago sports channel anyway. Ive been thinking of switching to Dish , interesting perspectives. Get the 3 yr new customer price lock and who knows what will be available by then. Hoping for better internet soon.
That's a thought! As a CUBS fan, DISHTV has not been kind. The Comcast Chicago Sports channel (429) was removed, probably around 5 years ago. Now, I can't even watch the CUBS play at Cincinnati or St. Louis with FOX Central and Midwest also gone:mad: Giving away my age here, but I prefer the days when our TV rotor box was broken and my old man would send me outside to try and turn our rusty antenna until WTTV Channel 4 came into focus. He would rap on the window with his bottle of Falstaff and give me the "thumbs" up signal. The picture quality was not perfect, but the price sure as hell was🤣

Last edited:
That's a thought! As a CUBS fan, DISHTV has not been kind. The Comcast Chicago Sports channel (429) was removed, probably around 5 years ago. Now, I can't even watch the CUBS play at Cincinnati or St. Louis with FOX Central and Midwest also gone:mad: Giving away my age here, but I prefer the days when our TV rotor box was broken and my old man would send me outside to try and turn our rusty antenna until Channel 4 WTTV game into focus. He would rap on the window with his bottle of Falstaff and give me the "thumbs" up signal. The picture quality was not perfect, but the price sure as hell was🤣
I live on a hill with a tall house so I had an antenna with a rotor mounted at highest roof point , didnt cost much and got WGN when it was good and got Cubs games. I could get some others and depending on weather every once in a while would pull in long distance for a day or so. Then I had a big dish, still had antenna and it was ugly and had to adjust sometimes but could get wild feeds of a lot of basketball, NBA and college . Didn't have to buy a bunch of channels I never watch and could get CBC Canada which had some cool stuff.

Reactions: TerhuneHoosierfan
Hulu for sports is great. Pretty much every P5 football and basketball game is available.
Long time Comcast user and gave them the boot 3 years ago. Not been at all sorry.

Idk if Marquis/Cubs and Hulu have come to any kind of agreement, but know they’ve not been on my MLB.tv package the past year. Go Sox!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT