Starting QB

• Ramsey

Votes: 33 41.3%
  • Penix

Votes: 32 40.0%
  • Tuttle

Votes: 15 18.8%

• Total voters
I'm guessing Ramsey to start the season. I think it would be better if Penix started from the get go and got his feet wet in the first 2 games. You wouldn't want to have to pull him if it didn't go well though. Tough call if it's close.

Penix is coming off a significant injury andTuttle's been suffering from an unknown illness, while Ramsey is healthy....and experienced. I'd bet my last dollar that Ramsey starts against Ball State. I have no doubt, though, that there will be a pretty quick hook if he's directing an offense that's struggling to get into the end zone in subsequent weeks. This team has a ton of weapons on offense and needs to maximize that with a potent scoring offense under the direction of a dynamic QB. May the best man win.

I think they all play the first 2 games and the real starter will start vs. OSU. We need to judge how they play in games not practice.

Penix is coming off a significant injury andTuttle's been suffering from an unknown illness, while Ramsey is healthy....and experienced. I'd bet my last dollar that Ramsey starts against Ball State. I have no doubt, though, that there will be a pretty quick hook if he's directing an offense that's struggling to get into the end zone in subsequent weeks. This team has a ton of weapons on offense and needs to maximize that with a potent scoring offense under the direction of a dynamic QB. May the best man win.

Not preference, your actual guess.
I have never seen Tuttle play. Until I have, I can't have any idea if he can play or if he is better than Ramsey. Ramsey is a solid guy that will know the playbook and has the most experience. He might be good enough to beat Ball State and get the benefit of his experience to start the first game.

Penix will start if he is healthy enough to begin working out early in the Fall camp. If he can't play early, I feel Tuttle will be the only possibility to beat out Ramsey. Tuttle will have to be very good to pass Penix and Ramsey on opening day. I hope he is that good. It would be a big step forward for the program. There isn't enough information to make any prediction with a great deal of confidence. We need improved QB play. That can only come from Penix or a player we have never seen. I doubt a new OC and anything done in the off season has changed Ramsey. I didn't think the Spring game looked much different.

Reactions: vesuvius13
this whole subject is a troll's dream subject.

MP has only played a hand full of plays, so not nearly enough to go on.

fans haven't seen Tuttle at all.

have at it trolls.

It has to be Tuttle or Penix for us to put us over the edge on the bigger boys. I have reviewed Tuttle's film many times over. He is a ball player! He may not have the "college" experience yet. But he also has been under college coaching for two years now that has to help.

It has to be Tuttle or Penix for us to put us over the edge on the bigger boys. I have reviewed Tuttle's film many times over. He is a ball player! He may not have the "college" experience yet. But he also has been under college coaching for two years now that has to help.

if Tuttle or MP are better, great.

that said, i absolutely don't agree that PR can't put us over the top.

when have we last had a soph QB as good as he was last yr.

all we need is over the hump.

the difference between 5-7 and 8-4 (9-4), can be a few plays here and there, on either side of the ball.

heck, i've already seen the difference between 9-1 and 4-6 be a few plays here and there.

if Tuttle or MP are better, great.

that said, i absolutely don't agree that PR can't put us over the top.

all we need is over the hump.

the difference between 5-7 and 8-4 (9-4), can be a few plays here and there, on either side of the ball.

heck, i've already seen the difference between 9-1 and 4-6 be a few plays here and there.
I disagree with that. The reasoning being is that Ramsey can't push the ball down the field very well. The defense knows they can sit on the underneath routes because he can't let it fly. Also, he leaves the pocket way too quickly often times creating a bad situation for the OL and forcing WR's to break on their routes to come back to the shortly thrown ball. Don't get me wrong he is a competitive S.O.B. He is a one dimensional player that can only provide the shorter route playmaking. In the Big Ten East that just simply won't get the job done. Do I think Penix will be the fix? Or do I think Tuttle will be the absolute fix we won't know. I have watched enough football in my years to know that if you want to win more games with the talent that we have Ramsey isn't the answer

I disagree with that. The reasoning being is that Ramsey can't push the ball down the field very well. The defense knows they can sit on the underneath routes because he can't let it fly. Also, he leaves the pocket way too quickly often times creating a bad situation for the OL and forcing WR's to break on their routes to come back to the shortly thrown ball. Don't get me wrong he is a competitive S.O.B. He is a one dimensional player that can only provide the shorter route playmaking. In the Big Ten East that just simply won't get the job done. Do I think Penix will be the fix? Or do I think Tuttle will be the absolute fix we won't know. I have watched enough football in my years to know that if you want to win more games with the talent that we have Ramsey isn't the answer
I agree. Ramsey won’t lose a game but will not win the game. I would love to have him improve but it is the arm strength issue that worries many of us. Having said that remember last year when Allen went “safe” and started Ramsey. Would love Tuttle to win the job. Penix needs more time to recover.

I agree. Ramsey won’t lose a game but will not win the game. I would love to have him improve but it is the arm strength issue that worries many of us. Having said that remember last year when Allen went “safe” and started Ramsey. Would love Tuttle to win the job. Penix needs more time to recover.

I don't know that TA really had a choice... PR might have been the only guy who could run the whole game plan without multiple giveaways. There is a lot more to running an offense smoothly than just throwing the ball downfield...

Tuttle just might be the answer if he picks things up rapidly. He has all summer, a quick fall camp and three live games to get ready for the Big Ten. Let's hope he's a quick study...

The only reason I'm leaving Penix out is because I don't think his knee will be ready. Hopefully it will be by the last 5 games of this fall because that's when we will most likely need him..,

Last edited:

Umm...literally all of our sophomore starters (with the exception of 2011) since 1999.

1999 ARE
2005 Blake Powers
2007 Kellen Lewis
2008 Ben Chappell
2012 Tre Roberson
2013 Nate Sudfeld

Have we had any other sophomore starters (not counting Zander and the 2011 nightmare)?

I have really come around on PR, but he is hardly in the upper echelon of starting quarterbacks at Indiana this century.

I absolutely agree

Umm...literally all of our sophomore starters (with the exception of 2011) since 1999.

1999 ARE
2005 Blake Powers
2007 Kellen Lewis
2008 Ben Chappell
2012 Tre Roberson
2013 Nate Sudfeld

Have we had any other sophomore starters (not counting Zander and the 2011 nightmare)?

I have really come around on PR, but he is hardly in the upper echelon of starting quarterbacks at Indiana this century.
He isn't anywhere near the "best Qb's in Indiana history"

I think, had the injury to Penix not happened, he would have been taking a bunch of series if not starting from the Penn State game going forward. I think the staff was planning on doing that as well.

I think, had the injury to Penix not happened, he would have been taking a bunch of series if not starting from the Penn State game going forward. I think the staff was planning on doing that as well.

Ironically that would have been the “Ramsey Model” when he took over for Lagow. I thought that too. If they felt he was ready to play against Penn St, pretty sure they thought he was ready to go, and his performance indicated that to many as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT