ADVERTISEMENT

Starting GK

iub

Freshman
May 5, 2004
I haven't followed the team closely this year, game-to-game. I noticed that Webb had played every minute in goal, up until 4 games ago. Since that point, Lomelli has played every minute.

Can anyone fill me in on if this switch was due to an injury...discipline...poor play, etc?

Will Lomelli continue to be our starter into the BT semis, and the NCAA tourney?

I haven't followed the team closely this year, game-to-game. I noticed that Webb had played every minute in goal, up until 4 games ago. Since that point, Lomelli has played every minute.

Can anyone fill me in on if this switch was due to an injury...discipline...poor play, etc?

Will Lomelli continue to be our starter into the BT semis, and the NCAA tourney?

“Christian has been great since he’s been here,” Yeagley said. “It’s a great situation as a program, tough for the individual in Colin’s case. I felt the team needed a different bounce to them and I know Christian has the ability to make an incredible save when needed.”

You must've missed this: http://www.idsnews.com/article/2016/10/iu-mens-soccer-sees-fresh-face-in-goal

Reactions: snowling
Thanks Sope - and no I hadn't see that; haven't been able to follow the team too closely this year.

Certainly a very interesting decision, but I'll trust Todd and Maise - they see the GKs every day in training. And I guess if you're going to make the switch, you do it w/ a few games left in the regular season to get Lomelli some playing time before the games really count.

Still seems like a very odd decision on the surface. Colin has been our starter since his freshman year (and will always have a place in IU Soccer lore for helping us win the BT tourney and keep the NCAA streak alive during that disastrous 2013 season)...then at the end of his senior year, he loses his job. And it's not like he had bad stats or was losing games (does anyone know of a game that he made critical mistakes in)? Tough for the kid, but you have to play the best GK and I guess they think that's Lomelli.

Still, that article had a very weird line: "Yeagley said IU basically had two starting goalkeepers and he wanted to give the team a jolt heading into the postseason. It was not a performance-based switch."

What does that mean, it wasn't a performance based switch? I assume the IDS is just being nice and trying not to pile on Colin, because of course it's a performance based switch...Todd isn't doing this on a whim, and he wouldn't do it if he didn't think Lomelli was the better GK right now.

In any case, GO HOOSIERS!

Thanks Sope - and no I hadn't see that; haven't been able to follow the team too closely this year.

Certainly a very interesting decision, but I'll trust Todd and Maise - they see the GKs every day in training. And I guess if you're going to make the switch, you do it w/ a few games left in the regular season to get Lomelli some playing time before the games really count.

Still seems like a very odd decision on the surface. Colin has been our starter since his freshman year (and will always have a place in IU Soccer lore for helping us win the BT tourney and keep the NCAA streak alive during that disastrous 2013 season)...then at the end of his senior year, he loses his job. And it's not like he had bad stats or was losing games (does anyone know of a game that he made critical mistakes in)? Tough for the kid, but you have to play the best GK and I guess they think that's Lomelli.

Still, that article had a very weird line: "Yeagley said IU basically had two starting goalkeepers and he wanted to give the team a jolt heading into the postseason. It was not a performance-based switch."

What does that mean, it wasn't a performance based switch? I assume the IDS is just being nice and trying not to pile on Colin, because of course it's a performance based switch...Todd isn't doing this on a whim, and he wouldn't do it if he didn't think Lomelli was the better GK right now.

In any case, GO HOOSIERS!

I think some have speculated that Lomelli might be better at defending penalty kicks, which might come in handy in tournament play. Otherwise, you have to wonder whether Colin might've been getting mentally tired, or have a case of senioritis (I did) or something.

I think some have speculated that Lomelli might be better at defending penalty kicks, which might come in handy in tournament play. Otherwise, you have to wonder whether Colin might've been getting mentally tired, or have a case of senioritis (I did) or something.
The penalty kick theory doesn't make sense because you can sub him for those, Webb should have saved the goal in the MD game. Weird to sit him this late in his career without something having happened tho. That's the advantage of being so deep, next man up.

No way he's having senioritis at this point of his playing career. Doesn't happen to athletes at this level. They all want to go out on top. Underclassmen much more likely to get a little worn out toward the end of the year.

Unless there's something that isn't publicized (discipline, academics, bad attitude, etc), it would appear that the reason that Lomelli leapfrogged Webb as the starting GK is performance. Still is a bit unusual to switch GKs this late in the season and to bench a senior at the end of his final season, who's been the starter since his freshman year. And it's not like Colin was struggling, per the results/stats. I didn't actually WATCH much of the season, but on paper, it looks like Colin was doing well.

Making it even more interesting is that Lomelli was red shirting this year so he could start for us next year...which means that Todd thought it was an urgent enough switch that he burned having Lomelli for all of 2017, just to have him for the final few games of 2016 and the NCAA tourney.

So I guess we're rolling with Lomelli. He only played in a single shootout of the BTT last year and he's making his debut last in this season, which will be his final one in Bloomington. Let's hope he caps it off with a trip to the College Cup.

Against Wisconsin in B10 tournament he didn't come close to stopping a penalty kick. The only miss Wisconsin had was because the kid kicked the ball 20' over the top of the goal.

The defense is really strong in front of our GK. Maybe some of the goals that were allowed Todd thought was on the GK? Like has been said in this thread it's really strange to bench a kid with a few games left in his senior year.

4 wins, 2 ties....(pk loss) since the switch with a shutout win over Akron in the tourney. Coach doesn't make a change and they lose he is criticized...coach makes a change and the same. At the end of the day there are 18 player that are part of the tourney roster...not just 1 senior. Tough decision for the kid but the Hoosiers look better and are playing hard in front of their new GK!

4 wins, 2 ties....(pk loss) since the switch with a shutout win over Akron in the tourney. Coach doesn't make a change and they lose he is criticized...coach makes a change and the same. At the end of the day there are 18 player that are part of the tourney roster...not just 1 senior. Tough decision for the kid but the Hoosiers look better and are playing hard in front of their new GK!

I wasn't criticizing the coach. Something obviously happen to cause the change.

Creviston got the same treatment and he was a captain. I found the whole thing odd (and I'm not criticizing), particularly since the main struggles for this team were scoring goals, not stopping them.

I just can't imagine what Colin and Derek felt the last several weeks of their careers. I hope it doesn't overshadow their previous experience and dampen their love for IU.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT