ADVERTISEMENT

Starting 5

What spot should JG play? Only a 4?
I think if he wants to make it to the NBA he has to be able to play the 3. He didn’t look capable of it at the end of last year. I hope he gets there but he needs to play at the position he most helps the team. As of the end of last year that is the 4. Fingers crossed that changes.

I see a lot of people starting JHS and I just do not see it. He is our only other point guard so unless he starts and plays like 5-7 minutes and comes out so he can rest to be able to replace X around 10-12 minute mark which seems funky to me.

I think it is
X
Bates
Galloway
Race
TJD

I believe Geronimo will play starting minutes at the 3 and 4 off the bench.

Kopp is the wildcard to me. It would be amazing if he could be good and average 12ish ppg but I just don’t see it after last year. I think Galloway takes his spot. He just does everything except shoot the 3 much better than Kopp.
Just so you know -- IU was 3rd in team defense in the Big Ten last year.

Kopp was a big part of that team defense.

Kopp's critics typically blast his offensive stats but usually don't seem to know much about his defensive contributions.

Something tells me the coaching staff won't be eager to abandon last year's success at team defense by automatically replacing Kopp in the lineup with a flashier younger player, unless the replacement (1) clearly plays defense as well as Kopp, (2) proves he commits no more turnovers than Kopp did, and (3) shows better offensive/ scoring skills and all-around basketball smarts than Kopp.

We'll see. For Bates and all these starry-rated newcomers, we'll just have to wait and see. Won't this be great?

6a0105369e6edf970b01bb083b440e970d-600wi

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
I see a lot of people starting JHS and I just do not see it. He is our only other point guard so unless he starts and plays like 5-7 minutes and comes out so he can rest to be able to replace X around 10-12 minute mark which seems funky to me.

I think it is
X
Bates
Galloway
Race
TJD

I believe Geronimo will play starting minutes at the 3 and 4 off the bench.

Kopp is the wildcard to me. It would be amazing if he could be good and average 12ish ppg but I just don’t see it after last year. I think Galloway takes his spot. He just does everything except shoot the 3 much better than Kopp.
Galloway (not Kopp) is the wildcard of thise two -- he changed the opponents' defenses because they didn't know what he would do next. We didn't, either.

But Galloway's scoring percentage was because he scored with a lot of layups -- he didn't shoot 3-pointers as well as Kopp, or shoot FTs as well as Kopp or get as many rebounds as Kopp.

I agree that if Galloway develops any better jumpshot at all, he'll be hard to keep out of the starting lineup. But he hasn't done that yet.

Stay tuned.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT