ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Portal

Someone in better standing than me should have a talk with God about players underperforming.

Behind their star Ollie Gordon which sites are saying may go pro after this year I'm reading they have a guy with one year eligibility left, and then freshman.

Not a smash mouth offense (who is, anymore) but Gundy's been there a long time and surely they know what they need.

Great spot for Trent sounds like.

Last edited:
Reactions: vesuvius13
Behind their star Ollie Gordon which sites are saying may go pro after this year I'm reading they have a guy with one year eligibility left, and then freshman.

Not a smash mouth offense (who is, anymore) but Gundy's been there a long time and surely they know what they need.

Great spot for Trent sounds like.
Dude is a beast and I wish he would have stayed.

So with Jayden McDonald, LB now in the portal that I think closes out who we should see. I think the portal closes today. So now its about who we can sign and bring in to fill the gaps. Not sure where he fell in the depth chart. So the only real surprise for me was Kobe Minor. The rest that left recently other than adding some depth probably not too bad of a blow to the overall team but we do need to find some bodies to deepen the defense for sure.

Last edited:
1 DL, 1 LB, 2 DB are probably our targets for defense.

If those get filled, then I think that leaves 2-3 more spots. Maybe an RB to replaced Holloman and then best available for the other 2.

Last edited:
I wonder how many of those 21 are looking for more playing time or looking for more money. My guess is it is the latter.
Not on all of them.
Some are part of the portal gypsy contingent that every single school deals with. A portal gypsy is a guy who stops over for a year and moves on regardless of playing time. They just don’t stay anywhere for the long haul.
Jalen Berger is a great example of that for them. Hell, he got significant playing and/or starter minutes at two Big Ten schools.
I think some young kids just like to move on and play someplace different every few years.
They had had two highly rated brothers on the team that both left together as well.
I think the reasons are predominantly playing time for most kids in the portal and then the shining stars at lower schools that play a bunch and start but want attached to a bigger name school.

I didn't know anything about Broc Lowry except high school highlights.
But I've just always had a feeling he was being unfairly overlooked, and the kid would show he could play.

Now knowing Coach Bell feels the same way...!

Guess I was wrong.

J/K Good to luck to Broc!

I didn't know anything about Broc Lowry except high school highlights.
But I've just always had a feeling he was being unfairly overlooked, and the kid would show he could play.

Now knowing Coach Bell feels the same way...!

Guess I was wrong.

J/K Good to luck to Broc!
I feel like Allen really struggled with promises. He was loyal to a fault with his staff and would not pull guys when they were struggling. Bazelek played too many snaps when Dexter was better. Tayvon came in and wasn’t ready last year and he couldn’t decide on a QB till game 3. and then it was Sorsby outperforming Jackson.
Probably a good move for Lowry as he is familiar with the Bell offense…..I wonder if Western Michigan has a 160 lb running back they like to use as their power back between the tackles?

I'm posting this here because he's the brother of our incoming freshman. There could be some interest.

Any news? Seems like we should have some pull on at least getting a visit.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Dude is a beast and I wish he would have stayed.
How in the world would any sane coach think it was a better idea to run a 5’10” 160lb guy between the Tackles than either Holloman or Howland? That boggles the mind.

And, by no strange coincidence, when said coach was let go, that nonsense stopped and Howland was the feature guy.

Just incomprehensible.

How in the world would any sane coach think it was a better idea to run a 5’10” 160lb guy between the Tackles than either Holloman or Howland?
Where did you see that happen? :D

Will be interesting to see how he does at Western. He had zero track record IMO when we got him, that was positive anyway. But keeps getting jobs, so apparently people believe in Coach Bell.
I hope he does well, I do. Doesn't seem like a bad guy or anything. A sister of mine graduated from Western and has done very well. I've been to a couple games years ago.

It wasn't a miraculous improvement, but the immediate offensive improvement under Carey was such a relief. He made mistakes and some calls I disliked at some big moments, but overall his 'I'm just going to run what works' made so much sense compared to Bell's "if something doesn't work, run it again" approach.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT