ADVERTISEMENT

Special teams Question

IndyIUFan66

All-Big Ten
Jun 23, 2013
I’ve always loved Inge’s enthusiasm and love of the program, and also think he shares Allen’s belief in accountability.

Maybe it’s still a work in process, but thus far in four games we’ve seen 2 blocked kicks and a fake FG last night that led to a huge score. (And was there a fake o BT executed against us this season too?)

The punting game and punt return teams have basically been stellar. Kick offs mostly getting touch backs. So for sure there are very god things to point to.

Guess my frustration with last nights fake FG TD is a special teams coordinator #1 job probably in today’s college FB world is always be prepared for a fake! Those 7 pts likely still would have been three, but the trickery working also has a demoralizing effect too.

Bottom line: that shouldn’t happen again this season! Clean that up and most rest of kicking/return games are actually probably doing okay and on punt return even starting to shine. Just be ready for fakes!!

Reactions: IUCol
I have been thinking exactly the same thing. Maybe not as nicely as you (you do have the patience of Job...vbg). This is a staff that is still new...I am not really sold yet on Debord...he has tendencies that are becoming clear. Some times he calls a brilliant play at just the right time...and then at a critical time calls a bonehead play, not one that fails merely due to execution. Inge is under the microscope now and deserves it. I wont be surprised, unless we see some significant improvement, Allen will look to replace him asap. This is an area he cannot fail in. For a team like IU, special teams much be solid all the time, no exceptions. They looked inept at times last night...very much like a pre-Wilson team...not good at all.

Reactions: td75
I was at the game and I told my wife when that happened, Dantonio is trying to stick it up Indiana's a$$. That was the most disappointing part of the night for me, followed closely by our oline struggling to block.

Inge is a longtime soldier in this program, but he needs to clean it up.

Reactions: IUCol and IUgradman
When kicks got blocked he seems to have cleaned that up. My guess and hope is he’ll do the same on fakes going forward. Bummer it takes that but will allow him the time to clean it up.

Per earlier poster on firing DeBord Asap, do t see that this season, but as he evaluates team & staff at end of season, I would say OLine coach & offensive coordinator both are ones who will be likely to be evaluated as I think the defense is doing enough to win and even compete with the big boys...if we had a balanced offense that can stay on field and pull their weight.

Reactions: IUCol
Special teams, outside of kicking in a monsoon, have actually been really good, IMO. I think both punt teams have been great. KO has seen both teams average start at the 25, so mostly neutral there. The kicking game has actually been a very pleasant surprise, IMO.

What made the fake frustrating was that CTA waved his hands for FG safe...making the TD even more puzzling.

Special teams, outside of kicking in a monsoon, have actually been really good, IMO. I think both punt teams have been great. KO has seen both teams average start at the 25, so mostly neutral there. The kicking game has actually been a very pleasant surprise, IMO.

What made the fake frustrating was that CTA waved his hands for FG safe...making the TD even more puzzling.
In the presser he said they sniffed it out but still didn’t execute to defend it.

Yup, just like the fake punt in the bucket game last year. They were in the correct defense and still couldn't stop it. Mind blowing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT