ADVERTISEMENT

Speaking of IU sports..and for any former competitive swimmers out there...

Noodle

Hall of Famer
Jun 19, 2001
Blake Pieroni led off IU's 800 free relay Wednesday night at the NCAA championships with an American and NCAA record of 1:29.63 (no, that is not a typo). IU is really swimming (and diving well) - they won the 400 medley relay last night and IU's Michael Hixon did take the 1 mtr diving last night (Purdue's Steele Johnson was second).

Overall, IU is in first place after day 2 of 4, but it's going to be a wild finish to the team competition.

Oh, and Florida's Caleb Dressel swam a :17.63 in the 50 freestyle. He won the race by over a second...he was over a body length ahead of second place.
Let me repeat that...a :17.63 50 freestyle!

To put that time in perspective, the next fastest time ever (by someone other than Dressel) is :18.47. He is 4.5% faster than the next fastest guy. To put that into perspective, Usain Bolt's record of 9.58 in the 100 is only 1.1% faster than the next fastest guy ever.

Blake Pieroni led off IU's 800 free relay Wednesday night at the NCAA championships with an American and NCAA record of 1:29.63 (no, that is not a typo). IU is really swimming (and diving well) - they won the 400 medley relay last night and IU's Michael Hixon did take the 1 mtr diving last night (Purdue's Steele Johnson was second).

Overall, IU is in first place after day 2 of 4, but it's going to be a wild finish to the team competition.

Oh, and Florida's Caleb Dressel swam a :17.63 in the 50 freestyle. He won the race by over a second...he was over a body length ahead of second place.

To put that time in perspective, the next fastest time ever (by someone other than Dressel) is :18.47. He is 4.5% faster than the next fastest guy. To put that into perspective, Usain Bolt's record of 9.58 in the 100 is only 1.0% faster than the next fastest guy ever.
Awesome, thanks for the update...is there a link where we can follow along?

Boilermaker Steele Johnson just took the 3 meter diving Nguyen crown. Changed his last dive to a 4 1/2 on the board and nailed it.

Oh, and I think the Hoosiers are now in first overall after that event. Trust me, I am honestly rooting for the Hoosiers to take the title. Been a long time for them.

Boilermaker Steele Johnson just took the 3 meter diving Nguyen crown. Changed his last dive to a 4 1/2 on the board and nailed it.

Oh, and I think the Hoosiers are now in first overall after that event. Trust me, I am honestly rooting for the Hoosiers to take the title. Been a long time for them.
Holy crap, Indiana hasn't won it in 45 years? That's surprising.

To put that time in perspective, the next fastest time ever (by someone other than Dressel) is :18.47. He is 4.5% faster than the next fastest guy. To put that into perspective, Usain Bolt's record of 9.58 in the 100 is only 1.1% faster than the next fastest guy ever.
Incredible times. I can’t even imagine swimming that fast. It’s good to see IU back at the top of swimming competing for more national championships.

How is that possible? Didn't Doc and Hobie dominate back in the day?
They did. They won all 6 in their day...45 years ago. Looze has been building this back up for a while. He’s an amazing coach. The women finished 8th at the NCAAs, and have finished in the top 10 each of the past three years. Lilly King is still ridiculous.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
IU’s facilitates became sub par for an extended period. They’ve fixed that and are clearly building back to the top.
IU basically did nothing to enhance any facility for years and years, up until around 2006. I don’t know what the hell they were thinking.

I got to know Doc a little. My swim team coach was a friend of his. Quite the charcter. I worked at the pool all through high school and Coach was always making me call Doc and leave messages and I was always scared to death. Really nice guy though.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
Free. Some feeds are only available if you are an ESPN subscriber through your cable company.

http://www.espn.com/watch/

(Edit: It's not called "ESPN3" anymore, although I still call it that. Now it's called "WatchESPN.")

It is still called ESPN3. WatchESPN is the platform/website where you can go to watch ESPN3 programming as well as all of the other ESPN channels/services.

So, the NCAA swimming is on ESPN3 tonight, but you go to WatchESPN to watch it.

Pedantry - it's what's for dinner.
Huh? WatchESPN carries about ten different channels. ESPN3 is just one of the ten.

Oh, and it’s not working right now

Must start at 6pm Central which is why live feed is not yet up

Last edited:
Huh? WatchESPN carries about ten different channels. ESPN3 is just one of the ten.

Oh, and it’s not working right now
No, I was appreciating the correction.

It used to be ESPN3 was the name of the entire platform. What is it now? Just a reference to all the feeds that are not on TV?

ESPN3 is the only ESPN channel that is only available via streaming. It’s still pretty much the same thing it always was. But WatchESPN is the platform that you use to access ESPN3 and every other ESPN channel there is. So you can get ESPN, ESPN2, etc on WatchESPN

ESPN3 is the only ESPN channel that is only available via streaming. It’s still pretty much the same thing it always was. But WatchESPN is the platform that you use to access ESPN3 and every other ESPN channel there is. So you can get ESPN, ESPN2, etc on WatchESPN
It's not really *a* channel, though, is it? There are multiple ESPN3 feeds going at any given time.

I'm still getting "Your event is about to begin."

It's not really *a* channel, though, is it? There are multiple ESPN3 feeds going at any given time.

I'm still getting "Your event is about to begin."
I suppose. But so many other “channels” are like that now so I’m not sure what to call it.

Oh, and I think the meet starts at 6 pm Central.

I suppose. But so many other “channels” are like that now so I’m not sure what to call it.

Oh, and I think the meet starts at 6 pm Central.
Ah that would explain it.

I honestly didn't realize they still used the ESPN3 brand. I just call it ESPN3 since that's what the whole platform used to be called, but I always assumed they dropped that when they launched the WatchESPN brand.

Shows how much (little) I pay attention.

@Noodle can you explain to me what's going on right now from a team perspective? They are fluffing Texas like crazy after that event. Is IU screwed?
Yes, I don’t think IU has a chance now. Just not enough bodies in the finals and I think they only have one diver that made it to the finals.

Yes, I don’t think IU has a chance now. Just not enough bodies in the finals and I think they only have one diver that made it to the finals.
Yeah they are 25 off the pace, but they have one diver, and Texas has two, so I have to imagine unless something really crazy happens, the math just doesn't work.

Well, let me rephrase that. It’s still possible but they need to win diving and the last relay.

Yeah they are 25 off the pace, but they have one diver, and Texas has two, so I have to imagine unless something really crazy happens, the math just doesn't work.
Only 16 behind Texas and Cal has no divers. IU can beat them on relay but would take a meltdown to catch Texas

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT