ADVERTISEMENT

Speaking of 1 and done

Paterfamilias

All-Big Ten
Dec 3, 2010
How many guys on the list below do you think would have been 1-and-done if it had always been the issue that it is today? The list is in order of class rank based on RSCI back to 1998 and either Bob Gibbons or Clark Francis prior to 1998. I once found the Top 100 dating back to 1983 and put them in my database, but I can't remember which service it was (I think Gibbons)

Anyway, the point is that I don't think IU has ever really been a big player as far as landing the 1-and-done type of recruit. Maybe Henderson could've been 1-and-done, but wasn't he a medical student? Just curious how many 1-and-dones people see on the list.

#2 Alan Henderson
#3 Eric Gordon
#4 Delray Brooks
#7 Lawrence Funderburke
#9 Ricky Calloway
#9 Jared Jeffries
#10 Andre Patterson
#10 Cody Zeller
#12 Bracey Wright
#13 DJ White
#13 Jason Collier
#14 Dane Fife
#15 Steve Alford
#15 Eric Anderson
#16 Damon Bailey
#16 Pat Graham
#17 Lyndon Jones
#17 Chris Reynolds
#20 James Blackmon
#21 Luke Recker
#25 Yogi Ferrell
#25 Thomas Bryant
#27 Jay Edwards
#27 Charlie Miller
#29 Sherron Wilkerson
#30 Robert Vaden
#40 Calbert Cheaney
#41 Daryl Thomas
#44 Jeremy Hollowell
#45 Christian Watford
#46 Robert Johnson
#46 Greg Graham
#49 Marty Simmons
#50 Hanner Perea
#51 Troy Williams
#52 Neil Reed
#56 AJ Moye
#58 Mo Creek
#61 Stanford Robinson
#62 Marshall Strickland
#66 Todd Meier
#71 Luke Fischer
#72 George Leach
#74 Jordan Hulls

Other McD-AA's
===============
Tom Baker - 1977
Ray Tolbert - 1977
Landon Turner - 1978
Isiah Thomas - 1979
John Flowers - 1981

How many guys on the list below do you think would have been 1-and-done if it had always been the issue that it is today? The list is in order of class rank based on RSCI back to 1998 and either Bob Gibbons or Clark Francis prior to 1998. I once found the Top 100 dating back to 1983 and put them in my database, but I can't remember which service it was (I think Gibbons)

Anyway, the point is that I don't think IU has ever really been a big player as far as landing the 1-and-done type of recruit. Maybe Henderson could've been 1-and-done, but wasn't he a medical student? Just curious how many 1-and-dones people see on the list.

#2 Alan Henderson
#3 Eric Gordon
#4 Delray Brooks
#7 Lawrence Funderburke
#9 Ricky Calloway
#9 Jared Jeffries
#10 Andre Patterson
#10 Cody Zeller
#12 Bracey Wright
#13 DJ White
#13 Jason Collier
#14 Dane Fife
#15 Steve Alford
#15 Eric Anderson
#16 Damon Bailey
#16 Pat Graham
#17 Lyndon Jones
#17 Chris Reynolds
#20 James Blackmon
#21 Luke Recker
#25 Yogi Ferrell
#25 Thomas Bryant
#27 Jay Edwards
#27 Charlie Miller
#29 Sherron Wilkerson
#30 Robert Vaden
#40 Calbert Cheaney
#41 Daryl Thomas
#44 Jeremy Hollowell
#45 Christian Watford
#46 Robert Johnson
#46 Greg Graham
#49 Marty Simmons
#50 Hanner Perea
#51 Troy Williams
#52 Neil Reed
#56 AJ Moye
#58 Mo Creek
#61 Stanford Robinson
#62 Marshall Strickland
#66 Todd Meier
#71 Luke Fischer
#72 George Leach
#74 Jordan Hulls

Other McD-AA's
===============
Tom Baker - 1977
Ray Tolbert - 1977
Landon Turner - 1978
Isiah Thomas - 1979
John Flowers - 1981

Wow! Talk about a sprint down memory lane.

I'll say this, Andrae Patterson should have gone the European route for a year and then entered the draft...would have done a lot better, probably a first round pick.

There are one-and-dones on that list, and any that didn't go the one-and-done route wouldn't now, the opportunity to go after one year has pretty much been around for several decades.

Many on the list didn't have an NBA career after leaving in 4 years and wouldn't be a thought for a one and done. Many had the chance to leave after one year and wisely didn't. Mo Creek is one person that had he been healthy for his first year could have left after one year. Cody could have, but improved his draft ranking by waiting a year. Hanner and Todd Meier are on the list but Bobby Wilkerson and Woodson aren't? Wilkerson might have been a one and done.

#2 Alan Henderson
#3 Eric Gordon
#4 Delray Brooks
#7 Lawrence Funderburke
#9 Ricky Calloway
#9 Jared Jeffries
#10 Andre Patterson
#10 Cody Zeller
#12 Bracey Wright
#13 DJ White
#13 Jason Collier
#14 Dane Fife
#15 Steve Alford
#15 Eric Anderson
#16 Damon Bailey
#16 Pat Graham
#17 Lyndon Jones
#17 Chris Reynolds
#20 James Blackmon
#21 Luke Recker
#25 Yogi Ferrell
#25 Thomas Bryant
#27 Jay Edwards
#27 Charlie Miller
#29 Sherron Wilkerson
#30 Robert Vaden
#40 Calbert Cheaney
#41 Daryl Thomas
#44 Jeremy Hollowell
#45 Christian Watford
#46 Robert Johnson
#46 Greg Graham
#49 Marty Simmons
#50 Hanner Perea
#51 Troy Williams
#52 Neil Reed
#56 AJ Moye
#58 Mo Creek
#61 Stanford Robinson
#62 Marshall Strickland
#66 Todd Meier
#71 Luke Fischer
#72 George Leach
#74 Jordan Hulls

Other McD-AA's
===============
Tom Baker - 1977
Ray Tolbert - 1977
Landon Turner - 1978
Isiah Thomas - 1979
John Flowers - 1981

Many on the list didn't have an NBA career after leaving in 4 years and wouldn't be a thought for a one and done. Many had the chance to leave after one year and wisely didn't. Mo Creek is one person that had he been healthy for his first year could have left after one year. Cody could have, but improved his draft ranking by waiting a year. Hanner and Todd Meier are on the list but Bobby Wilkerson and Woodson aren't? Wilkerson might have been a one and done.

Wilkerson and Woodson came before the first McDonald's All American Team. I listed our top recruits that I have any kind of ranking for. I was so young when Wilkerson came to IU that I thought they were all the best basketball players in the world just because they wore the candystripes.

Wilkerson's "one" was his freshman year as an ineligible "non-predictor" (with Scott May). At the least, he'd have had to stay two years or, very optimistically, go pro after not playing a minute of college basketball.

Wilkerson's "one" was his freshman year as an ineligible "non-predictor" (with Scott May). At the least, he'd have had to stay two years or, very optimistically, go pro after not playing a minute of college basketball.
It is hard to evaluate the list because the rules have changed over the years. I was considering the "one" being one year of play on the court and not as a freshman ineligibility rule. Another name not listed was George McGinnis. I never saw him play in college, but heard Slick Leonard rave about him. He left after playing one year (his sophomore year) and averaging 30 pts/game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT