ADVERTISEMENT

Sorsby in the portal

If Sorsby starts from game 1, he puts together one of the best seasons an IU QB has ever had. Accounted for 19 TDs.
Just outside the top 10 in total TDs for a Hoosier quarterback. Not happy to see him go but I expect whoever comes in to be ready no matter where the starter comes from next season.

Wut?
The NCAA is an empty suit. The SCOTUS destroyed amateur sports in 2021.
I would suggest that the greed of the NCAA and its member institutions made a sham of the notion of student-athlete long before the Court heard this case. SCOTUS simply saw throught the hollow argument of amateurism and recognized the NCAA for the pimp it has become, and the universities (and their coaches) as complicit. The Supreme Court simply had the sense to recognize the right of athletes who are now treated much more like employees than students to a share of the profits they were generating for everybody but themselves.

I would suggest that the greed of the NCAA and its member institutions made a sham of the notion of student-athlete long before the Court heard this case. SCOTUS simply saw throught the hollow argument of amateurism and recognized the NCAA for the pimp it has become, and the universities (and their coaches) as complicit. The Supreme Court simply had the sense to recognize the right of athletes who are now treated much more like employees than students to a share of the profits they were generating for everybody but themselves.

They aren't getting a share of the profits. I honestly am kind of at the point where I am ready to say to hell with all of it. Fans and alumni are taking it up the ass with these NIL collectives. No offense to Sorsby, but from what I saw he isn't worth a six figure pay out on top of his scholarship. "Well Indiana is just going to suck then and we may get kicked out of major college (semi-pro) sports...." I am kind of at the oh well point on that. We haven't been good at either of the sports that matter in forever or a long time (depending on the sport) and frankly the money grab is getting old.

NIL should be like what Caitlin Clark is doing for State Farm. The rest of the players, if we have to pay them (I almost say shut down college athletics and let them go form a real NFL development league), should get an actual cut of the TV contracts that we all pay for as fans and consumers.

Grumpy old man that I am, it becomes harder with each passing year to give much of a shit about this.

IU doesn’t have a single program changing/program making player on the roster. Whoever leaves, let ‘em leave. Concentrate on making the best coaching hire for IU. I mean, we’ll probably eff around and hire someone with no head coaching experience and an overall underwhelming resume, but it’s nice to dream.
You make a very good point about the process of hiring a new coach. Whomever and however it was done with Archie and Allen’s extension should not be redone.

If the new coach has to go the Deion route, whatever. The portal giveth and taketh away. Sorsby is a nice QB, but not the end of the world. If he can hit a wide open receiver 25 yards behind the defense, then IU probably wins yesterday. This was a 3-9 team: there ain't that many worth keeping.
Agreed. He totally lost me on that throw. No decent high school QB misses that one.

Reactions: sparkeyreturns
I wonder when Sorsby actually decided he was leaving. Was it after the CTA announcement or before the end of the season? It seems like it would be an awful fast decision if he decided after the CTA announcement.

Reactions: midwolfe
Wut?
The NCAA is an empty suit. The SCOTUS destroyed amateur sports in 2021.
Not even remotely accurate. The NCAA were having their cake and eating it too. All they had to do was NOT make $$ off the players image and likenesses, or allow the players to get paid for their own image and likenesses. Instead they chose to try and litigate, and just run out the clock or keep it tied up in the courts till it went away, and they lost like they should’ve lost when it was finally adjudicated. It’s ALL on the NCAA. There’s plenty to blame on our SCOTUS, but this is not one of them.

Reactions: oldcougar77
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT