ADVERTISEMENT

Son now wants to be a firefighter--what do I do?

BradStevens

All-American
Sep 7, 2023
Freshmen had a career day today. My son went to: business, engineering, paramedic, electrician, and firefighter.

He's all excited about being a firefighter (no, he's not 5). $75K starting salary if you do overtime, and you work one day on (24 hrs), two days off. **** around a lot at the fire station. Can do a second job or run a business on the side (plumber?). Good benefits. Can make about $150K if you stay at it (at 10 or 15 yrs in?).

I started to steer him the other way, and now I'm sitting here thinking damn it, that's a good freakin' deal! Wonder if you could do this while also going to college? Become a philosopher/firefighter? Roadhouse 2 script, anyone???

Freshmen had a career day today. My son went to: business, engineering, paramedic, electrician, and firefighter.

He's all excited about being a firefighter (no, he's not 5). $75K starting salary if you do overtime, and you work one day on (24 hrs), two days off. **** around a lot at the fire station. Can do a second job or run a business on the side (plumber?). Good benefits. Can make about $150K if you stay at it (at 10 or 15 yrs in?).

I started to steer him the other way, and now I'm sitting here thinking damn it, that's a good freakin' deal! Wonder if you could do this while also going to college? Become a philosopher/firefighter? Roadhouse 2 script, anyone???
my cop buddies all regret not being fireman and most of my law school buddies did too! bottom line is that you have to pick the right city/town. city fireman in bad areas here get shot at. but it can be a great gig. we used to watch them bbqing and shit in bloomington and think what a great life. here they work 9 days a month. 24 hour days. hosedraggers. they bbq. play cards against the cops. and collect a pension down the road. in the meantime they run second job small businesses if they want, spend loads of time with their families, stay fit. good way to go.

on a personal note school went well today. she has an 88% avg and the teachers all said no one tries on the map test at this point. they scribble answers. (then why have it). it's not indicative of her progress in the least. only thing she needs to work on is she's too chatty and easily distracted. oh and apparently she was in the group making deez nuts jokes. great.

So much of college is online, and asynchronous (meaning you don't have to watch the lecture at 10 on Tuesday), I don't see why he couldn't do both. It would help him move up to higher positions in firefighting. I'm sure it is a good career. But even in 10th grade, that can easily change five more times.

It's a noble profession that can pay very well if you move up the ladder. The pension plans are usually pretty good. 20 and done if likes and then he can pursue another profession. Plus chicks love firefighters. He'll be swimming in poon.

Have him do the cadet training. I think kids can start at 15 years old? He will find out quick if he truly likes it or it's just a romantic notion.

I've helped design several fire stations in the past few years, so I've actually talked to many firefighters about what they want and how they operate.

First off, it's not nearly as glamorous as TV makes it out to be. While every station is different, the majority of all calls that they handle are either EMT or auto accident related. I think I read a stat that only 5% of firefighter calls actually deal with fires. So they are constantly busy from 7AM to 10AM and then 3pm to 6pm, literally jumping from accident to accident. Not to say that there isn't downtime, but there is a significant difference in 7AM to 10PM relative to 10PM to 7AM.

Second, while we all remember how much energy we had as youngsters, those 24 hour shifts take a toll. Those two days off are nice, but the couple of guys I talked to, they sleep for 12 hours both days. So getting a second job is probably not in the cards unless he's a masochist.

It's certainly not the worst job. Garners a large amount of respect too.

It's a noble profession that can pay very well if you move up the ladder. The pension plans are usually pretty good. 20 and done if likes and then he can pursue another profession. Plus chicks love firefighters. He'll be swimming in poon.

Have him do the cadet training. I think kids can start at 15 years old? He will find out quick if he truly likes it or it's just a romantic notion.
Any spillage for Brad?

my cop buddies all regret not being fireman and most of my law school buddies did too! bottom line is that you have to pick the right city/town. city fireman in bad areas here get shot at. but it can be a great gig. we used to watch them bbqing and shit in bloomington and think what a great life. here they work 9 days a month. 24 hour days. hosedraggers. they bbq. play cards against the cops. and collect a pension down the road. in the meantime they run second job small businesses if they want, spend loads of time with their families, stay fit. good way to go.

on a personal note school went well today. she has an 88% avg and the teachers all said no one tries on the map test at this point. they scribble answers. (then why have it). it's not indicative of her progress in the least. only thing she needs to work on is she's too chatty and easily distracted. oh and apparently she was in the group making deez nuts jokes. great.
You need an objective measurement that is unrelated to grades. Grade inflation is real. I’d be pissed if my school was blowing off MAPS. They don’t though because the parents would (have been) be pissed.

Re firefighter—the delta between earning $300k over 4 yrs vs. spending $300k on school is eye opening. Start at 18, retire at 50. Start a second career. Invest early and often.

You need an objective measurement that is unrelated to grades. Grade inflation is real. I’d be pissed if my school was blowing off MAPS. They don’t though because the parents would (have been) be pissed.

Re firefighter—the delta between earning $300k over 4 yrs vs. spending $300k on school is eye opening. Start at 18, retire at 50. Start a second career. Invest early and often.
I know some who retired by 40 with 20 in. Got out before their bodies suffered. Had a pension to go onto the next career. Awesomeness. And I know you don’t want to hear this but again that delta is impt with re to major. Kelley vs spea. Just reality I’m going to woodpecker into you. ROI

Hockey player fireman. Damn! That’s a baller.

A friend of mine changed careers about 20 or so years ago and became a fireman. He's a chief now and will likely retire in his 50s. I don't see him a ton, but every time I've talked with him about it, he's beyond happy about the decision he made. He has some life-long friends and the schedule allowed him to be around his kids' sports more than he might've been (to be fair he missed some stuff too). All his kids are in college now...I'm not sure what his second (or third) act will be, but as I'm slaving away in the same job in a few years, he'll be retired and doing what he wants. His wife is a public school teacher too, so I think she'll likely be up for retirement relatively soon too.

All that said, he has seen some crazy stuff and has been in a handful of dangerous situations. I'm sure if you ask him though, it all worked out well for him.

Hockey player fireman. Damn! That’s a baller.
holly madison GIF

Look Brad, you have a son who is a cocksmith. Embrace it. Sorry, he’s not going to be joining your book club. Tell him he needs to eat steaks and hit the weight room. He’s got a calendar shoot coming up.

My nephew actually just got hired to be one in August. It’s a smaller town and pretty good job for the area.

Last edited:

If I had gone fire rather than Police, I would have a PhD . . . Instead of a MA degree.

Have a friend that became a fire fighter a couple years ago.

He absolutely loves it.

My uncle was a volunteer fire fighter for many, many years (he's also a cop). He retired from volunteer a couple years ago, and still says he misses just being around his guys.

Sounds like a kickass gig. Can change lives and genuinely help people. What's better then that?

Have a friend that became a fire fighter a couple years ago.

He absolutely loves it.

My uncle was a volunteer fire fighter for many, many years (he's also a cop). He retired from volunteer a couple years ago, and still says he misses just being around his guys.

Sounds like a kickass gig. Can change lives and genuinely help people. What's better then that?
Lots of sex?

Look Brad, you have a son who is a cocksmith. Embrace it. Sorry, he’s not going to be joining your book club. Tell him he needs to eat steaks and hit the weight room. He’s got a calendar shoot coming up.

My nephew actually just got hired to be one in August. It’s a smaller town and pretty job for the area.
Look, snarl, I’m not giving up the dream of my son in a tweed jacket, pipe in hand, strolling the quad while reading Kierkegaard on his way to his jazz drum solo performance in the music hall.

Two nephews are fire fighters. One became the Chief and the other is now a Paramedic. Both doing well finically and socially. I say support him.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
Look, snarl, I’m not giving up the dream of my son in a tweed jacket, pipe in hand, strolling the quad while reading Kierkegaard on his way to his jazz drum solo performance in the music hall.
My daughter got a job at Chipotle and earns money.

One hurdle cleared (that she understands working for money).

The rest of the dreams were always mine and not hers. And i have no earthly idea wtf she'll end up doing. She might **** around and get into Northwestern though which is great. Just ****ing great. $67,000/YEAR. Goddammit.

The rest of the dreams were always mine and not hers. And i have no earthly idea wtf she'll end up doing. She might **** around and get into Northwestern though which is great. Just ****ing great. $67,000/YEAR. Goddammit.
Total cost: $90,000/yr.

A friend of mine changed careers about 20 or so years ago and became a fireman. He's a chief now and will likely retire in his 50s. I don't see him a ton, but every time I've talked with him about it, he's beyond happy about the decision he made. He has some life-long friends and the schedule allowed him to be around his kids' sports more than he might've been (to be fair he missed some stuff too). All his kids are in college now...I'm not sure what his second (or third) act will be, but as I'm slaving away in the same job in a few years, he'll be retired and doing what he wants. His wife is a public school teacher too, so I think she'll likely be up for retirement relatively soon too.

All that said, he has seen some crazy stuff and has been in a handful of dangerous situations. I'm sure if you ask him though, it all worked out well for him.

If she’s smart enough for northwestern there are a ton of great schools that she can get in. Wash u is basically free now

Firefighter is a good gig. You spend 22 hours of your 24 hour shift sleeping, eating playing cards on the tax payer dime.

1.5 hours en route to calls. 30 minutes on scene. Once every six months you might actually get a fire.

Cush pension, for a job that is essentially hanging with the boys. And public adoration.

We tend to often lump cops and firefighters together. We shouldn’t. Cops have a job that is actually hard and dangerous. Yet firefighters get all the love.

Firefighter is a good gig. You spend 22 hours of your 24 hour shift sleeping, eating playing cards on the tax payer dime.

1.5 hours en route to calls. 30 minutes on scene. Once every six months you might actually get a fire.

Cush pension, for a job that is essentially hanging with the boys. And public adoration.

We tend to often lump cops and firefighters together. We shouldn’t. Cops have a job that is actually hard and dangerous. Yet firefighters get all the love.
I don't think every jurisdiction pays as much as those in the Chicagoland area. Yet another reason our state is heading towards bankruptcy.

Well you should be very proud. We’ve had an up and down week. We’re somewhere between Mo State Mizzou and USF

UF is long gone
To be sure, yours is younger. Mine wants to go to a school “in a city”. That she’s this smart and gives literally no shits about the quality of the school she attends (her back up Chicago school is ****ing DePaul) should tell you everything.

To be sure, yours is younger. Mine wants to go to a school “in a city”. That she’s this smart and gives literally no shits about the quality of the school she attends (her back up Chicago school is ****ing DePaul) should tell you everything.
NYU! Columbia!

Has she seen Felicity yet? If not, don't let her. I've been making sure my daughter doesn't watch that until she's already in college.

Yeah mine would like that best too. I want her to look at boulder. Good friend there. Great place. Shockingly average admissions and academics

Reactions: larsIU
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT