ADVERTISEMENT

Something that is stunning, but really glaring at this point

Jan 4, 2020
Is the difference in energy in the football and men’s basketball programs. Never thought I would say that. Coach Cignetti is 62, yet seems 20 years younger than Woody. Fewer NIL resources yet bringing in waves of upper class transfers that, on paper, look like contributors. Hard to wrap your mind around, and have to prove it on the field, but seemingly moving in opposite directions.

Is the difference in energy in the football and men’s basketball programs. Never thought I would say that. Coach Cignetti is 62, yet seems 20 years younger than Woody. Fewer NIL resources yet bringing in waves of upper class transfers that, on paper, look like contributors. Hard to wrap your mind around, and have to prove it on the field, but seemingly moving in opposite directions.
Both programs will be bottom of BIGthough

I’ve been in marketing for 30 years. A very wise elder told me (in the middle of a perceived corporate fiasco) that marketing is almost 100% perception. So far, so good in football. God bless Scott Dolson and Coach Cig. All this at a time the basketball team looks doomed. Let’s take a deep breath and wait a few months before passing any serious judgement.

Agree. There is no upside with Woodson going forward. Would be better to fix this after the season going forward than allowing it to slowly burn even more.
it was the same thing with archie but the let it drag on two more years. The difference was even though a joke was you need to give a guy a full recruiting cycle to build a team. Well that is no longer the case with the transfer stuff you dont need more than two year to put a good team on the floor. You dont need to bring in 5 frosh and wait three years. I just dont see the game plan at with woodson. You cannot just get a pass cause you are an IU guy.

If Indiana wins 6 -7 football games three yrs in row...
It's a grand slam hire..
Woodson isn't..Period..
It's all downhill for him !!
its becoming laughable now that creans sweet sixeteens seem like the high water mark. And trust me i was leading the charge to get him out. I just never thought we would hire a worse guy like archie. But i forgot how incompetent the iu ad guys are. Archie wanted ohio state and they would have taken him.

The perceptions of IU basketball fans are converging with those of football fans. Twenty years of generally bad basketball teams have produced many fans that now consider signing a highly rated recruit and being somewhat competitive in the conference a sufficiently successful program. As time goes on expectations continue to fall and an ever increasing portion of the bball fan base has never known anything different.

The perceptions of IU basketball fans are converging with those of football fans. Twenty years of generally bad basketball teams have produced many fans that now consider signing a highly rated recruit and being somewhat competitive in the conference a sufficiently successful program. As time goes on expectations continue to fall and an ever increasing portion of the bball fan base has never known anything different.
Yep but some one like me remember better times and why we get so frusturated. We are called haters by some but we saw good times so we know what it was like. I saw the 1987 title i was only ten but i remember it and i saw the bailey years. People say we want iu to fail that is absurd we just know what it was and should be and is not now.

Both programs will be bottom of BIGthough
I don’t disagree but I have a question. Based on the age/health imagery described, which program will be better in 2-3 years?
Be great if both were, but even with my many years of IUFB failure, I might guess FB has more success.

I don’t disagree but I have a question. Based on the age/health imagery described, which program will be better in 2-3 years?
Be great if both were, but even with my many years of IUFB failure, I might guess FB has more success.
Basketball. Football won’t ever be a contender. Basketball will because we can at least get top talent. Iu may find a stud in football but NIL will take him to a power house.

Yep but some one like me remember better times and why we get so frusturated. We are called haters by some but we saw good times so we know what it was like. I saw the 1987 title i was only ten but i remember it and i saw the bailey years. People say we want iu to fail that is absurd we just know what it was and should be and is not now.
I was there for all of it. I was ten when George McGinnis was at IU. I saw the '75 team bow out too early. I was a junior in High School when IU had the perfect season. I finished at IU in '82 so I saw and enjoyed the 80/81 season.

I use Notre Dame football analogy a lot because they're so similar in how they've struggled to regain their footing after a series of hiring and firing the newest best candidates. Quite a few IU fans thought Brad Stevens was inevitable, just like Domers used to use the "dream job" scenario for Urban Meyer. You can say I'm all wet, but I believe that neither of those guys ended up in their dream job because the fanbases can be brutal. Not that they couldn't handle that, but they had options that looked and probably worked out better to them.

I've always thought IU really went awry, not so much because they dismissed RMK, but that they did it with no contingency plan in place. They made it even worse when they bowed to the demands of Dane Fife and a few others. Now, we just eat up coaches and spit them out.

So anyway, after all that, CMW has been coach here for just about two and a half seasons. The first two ended in tournament appearances. Tournament success, well, not so much. I think the chance of IU making a change at the end of this season is practically zero. So in my case at least, I'll hold out hope that Woodson can still turn this season around and get to the NCAAT. That's a reasonable goal for a team that replaced as many pieces as they did this year. I hope that Woodson manages to get one or two of the big recruiting pieces he's trying to get. I hope he gets some help in the portal to make some marked improvement next year. If this.program doesn't manage to stabilize itself, it will just stay mired in the muck it's been in for twenty years.

Fire away

I was there for all of it. I was ten when George McGinnis was at IU. I saw the '75 team bow out too early. I was a junior in High School when IU had the perfect season. I finished at IU in '82 so I saw and enjoyed the 80/81 season.

I use Notre Dame football analogy a lot because they're so similar in how they've struggled to regain their footing after a series of hiring and firing the newest best candidates. Quite a few IU fans thought Brad Stevens was inevitable, just like Domers used to use the "dream job" scenario for Urban Meyer. You can say I'm all wet, but I believe that neither of those guys ended up in their dream job because the fanbases can be brutal. Not that they couldn't handle that, but they had options that looked and probably worked out better to them.

I've always thought IU really went awry, not so much because they dismissed RMK, but that they did it with no contingency plan in place. They made it even worse when they bowed to the demands of Dane Fife and a few others. Now, we just eat up coaches and spit them out.

So anyway, after all that, CMW has been coach here for just about two and a half seasons. The first two ended in tournament appearances. Tournament success, well, not so much. I think the chance of IU making a change at the end of this season is practically zero. So in my case at least, I'll hold out hope that Woodson can still turn this season around and get to the NCAAT. That's a reasonable goal for a team that replaced as many pieces as they did this year. I hope that Woodson manages to get one or two of the big recruiting pieces he's trying to get. I hope he gets some help in the portal to make some marked improvement next year. If this.program doesn't manage to stabilize itself, it will just stay mired in the muck it's been in for twenty years.

Fire away
ND has had much better success in recent history. Nebraska football is the better analogy

Reactions: FormerRevMatt
Basketball. Football won’t ever be a contender. Basketball will because we can at least get top talent. Iu may find a stud in football but NIL will take him to a power house.
You may be right. In basketball one player (Larry Bird of Indiana State in 78 for example) can control a game. In football you need more than one star out of 22 starters.
But I do have some hope for IUFB now.

Fire away

I was born in 85, never saw Woody play except some black and white clips. I don’t have the Hoosier legend heart grab like others. I am only judging him on his coaching ability. Don’t care that he played here 50 years ago (kinda close which is scary).

If woody starts hearing boos and the fanbase turns on him, trust me it will. He will step away, he is too proud. If they spiral out of control he will get hate like nothing he has ever seen from the IU faithful. He will walk at that point.

ND has had much better success in recent history. Nebraska football is the better analogy
Well, again, I was around for the "Era of Ara". I was around when those jackasses wanted Dan Devine's head three years removed from a National Championship. They're not even a shadow of that program. Aside from one unlikely season, they really aren't even a factor.

I was born in 85, never saw Woody play except some black and white clips. I don’t have the Hoosier legend heart grab like others. I am only judging him on his coaching ability. Don’t care that he played here 50 years ago (kinda close which is scary).

If woody starts hearing boos and the fanbase turns on him, trust me it will. He will step away, he is too proud. If they spiral out of control he will get hate like nothing he has ever seen from the IU faithful. He will walk at that point.
While I don't doubt that, it will certainly be a good look for any future candidate right?

BTW, we did have color TV in the 80's 😂

Reactions: Bucket Getter

Fire away
I’m with you on this except about 8 years longer 🤨😩

Well, again, I was around for the "Era of Ara". I was around when those jackasses wanted Dan Devine's head three years removed from a National Championship. They're not even a shadow of that program. Aside from one unlikely season, they really aren't even a factor.
Disagree on that. 2 playoff appearances and top 10-15 for about 6 straight years

Disagree on that. 2 playoff appearances and top 10-15 for about 6 straight years
Okay, I stand corrected, two unlikely seasons. That said, most all of the Domers I was around (I lived in St Joe Country and worked in South Bend) Hated BK's guts. Took him quite a few seasons to make them anything beyond mediocre. He got There was lots of vile directed his way. I know he certainly doesn't miss that fanbase.

A lot of these same folks have already determined that Freeman isn't fit either. I mean if I want to use your Nebraska analogy, I'll say okay, they've done pretty much the same thing. Kind of sad really. Bo Pelini had kind of stabilized things to the degree where they in the verge of becoming relevant again. Guess what, it wasn't happening fast enough to suit them.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
Okay, I stand corrected, two unlikely seasons. That said, most all of the Domers I was around (I lived in St Joe Country and worked in South Bend) Hated BK's guts. Took him quite a few seasons to make them anything beyond mediocre. He got There was lots of vile directed his way. I know he certainly doesn't miss that fanbase.

A lot of these same folks have already determined that Freeman isn't fit either. I mean if I want to use your Nebraska analogy, I'll say okay, they've done pretty much the same thing. Kind of sad really. Bo Pelini had kind of stabilized things to the degree where they in the verge of becoming relevant again. Guess what, it wasn't happening fast enough to suit them.
Why unlikely? 7-9 last season have resulted in 10 or more wins.
I would say it’s a top 10 program currently.

Why unlikely? 7-9 last season have resulted in 10 or more wins.
I would say it’s a top 10 program currently.
Good to know. Also good to know that you apparently have that side of your jacket turned out this morning and the only thing your taking from what I posted is that I'm somehow offending your ND feelings. I gave you an out with lending some credence to your Nebraska comment.

I'm going to simply guess that you didn't exist when ND was a truly great program. I going to guess that you weren't around when IU was a truly great basketball program. Neither program Is close to what they were at their pinnacle. Do I want IU to be what they were when I was in my teens, twenties and thirties? Absolutely. Do I think boos raining down in Woody and his team will help IU attract the coaching candidates and players needed to make that happen..hardly.

Doubt that you even read the second paragraph😂

Reactions: DANC
Archie’s hire ended up being a bad hire. Woodson was a bad hire period. Crean has been the best out of the three, which is frightening. Sampson would have been a monster if not for his stupidity. Davis is probably my personal favorite simply because he navigated through hell due to the situation. Just think how many terrific coaches slipped away during years of ineptitude. Of all the coaches hired, there’s no one who inspires. It’s little wonder Indiana kids are dressed predominantly in Purdue gear.

• Haha
Reactions: Aloha Hoosier

He won't get hate from anybody over the age of 25 or so.

Most of us older folk knew there was always an element of risk, and that IU had been through the wringer since RMK. Woodson seemed safe and earnest.

We're not where we need to be in year 3. He knows that.

Good to know. Also good to know that you apparently have that side of your jacket turned out this morning and the only thing your taking from what I posted is that I'm somehow offending your ND feelings. I gave you an out with lending some credence to your Nebraska comment.

I'm going to simply guess that you didn't exist when ND was a truly great program. I going to guess that you weren't around when IU was a truly great basketball program. Neither program Is close to what they were at their pinnacle. Do I want IU to be what they were when I was in my teens, twenties and thirties? Absolutely. Do I think boos raining down in Woody and his team will help IU attract the coaching candidates and players needed to make that happen..hardly.

Doubt that you even read the second paragraph😂
IU continues to hire bad coaches, boos is what Iu needs from its fans to let the Admin know they expect more.

While I don't doubt that, it will certainly be a good look for any future candidate right?

BTW, we did have color TV in the 80's 😂
I know! Woody played in the 70s!!! :)
He won't get hate from anybody over the age of 25 or so.

Most of us older folk knew there was always an element of risk, and that IU had been through the wringer since RMK. Woodson seemed safe and earnest.

We're not where we need to be in year 3. He knows that.
Dude I’m almost 40 and I promise everyone my age and younger will not care about his IU ties if we lose.

IU continues to hire bad coaches, boos is what Iu needs from its fans to let the Admin know they expect more

I know! Woody played in the 70s!!! :)

Dude I’m almost 40 and I promise everyone my age and younger will not care about his IU ties if we lose.
Huh, I watched him play in the 1980 B1G championship game against OSU, in living color.

IU continues to hire bad coaches, boos is what Iu needs from its fans to let the Admin know they expect more.
At least one of those bad coaches was Archie Miller. I've seen some on this.board say you were down with that. To be fair, I was. I was surprised Dolson let him go. How long are you going to give Dusty May?

At least one of those bad coaches was Archie Miller. I've seen some on this.board say you were down with that. To be fair, I was. I was surprised Dolson let him go. How long are you going to give Dusty May?
I thought Archie was a good hire. Sounds like he couldn’t handle the limelight. Dusty May I think knows Bloomington and its fan base and will thrive here. Woody was just a bad decision all around

Reactions: bsaus
I thought Archie was a good hire. Sounds like he couldn’t handle the limelight. Dusty May I think knows Bloomington and its fan base and will thrive here. Woody was just a bad decision all around
Didn't answer my question. How long do you give him?

What do you mean?
What's not clear about that? You hire Dusty May. How many seasons does he get to prove he's the guy? What if he misses the tournament year one? Are you calling for his firing? What if he has similar results to Woody year two? What does it take for you and your ilk to say enough? Fire Dusty😁

What's not clear about that? You hire Dusty May. How many seasons does he get to prove he's the guy? What if he misses the tournament year one? Are you calling for his firing? What if he has similar results to Woody year two? What does it take for you and your ilk to say enough? Fire Dusty😁
Hard to base off speculation of how his team plays, recruiting, etc..
However he is a young coach and not one that is enjoying a big paying retirement gig that has zero future. Time is
Not in Woodson’s favor, however it does seem you like Woodson as coach. What are you seeing to convince the fan base he is the right guy for the program?

Archie’s hire ended up being a bad hire. Woodson was a bad hire period. Crean has been the best out of the three, which is frightening. Sampson would have been a monster if not for his stupidity. Davis is probably my personal favorite simply because he navigated through hell due to the situation. Just think how many terrific coaches slipped away during years of ineptitude. Of all the coaches hired, there’s no one who inspires. It’s little wonder Indiana kids are dressed predominantly in Purdue gear.
To be fair, I don't think you can totally say that Woodson was a bad hire in the middle of the year. Lots of RMK's teams looked pretty awful at points in the year and righted themselves. The Nebraska loss was jarringly bad, but this team is certainly capable of turning around and playing well against OSU.

But for the people who want black-and-white answers about "how long should Woody get?" There is no correct answer, because the only correct answer is "it depends."

It depends on how the program is trending. Someone else brought up Danny Hurly in an earlier post. He took over UCONN after Kevin Ollie got in trouble with the NCAA and UCONN had to forfeit all of their games from like 2 seasons, I think. They were Level 1 violations from Ollie. So he came into a tough situation.

He went 16-17 and 19-12 in his first two years in the league, with no post season. To be honest, I don't even know if they were allowed to play post season games in that second year, even if they had qualified.

Then the next two years, he went 15-8 and 23-10, and got knocked out very early in the NCAA tourney. Throwing out the shortened Covid year, because it was shortened and an anomaly, his teams had a better record every single year. He showed progress.

Then, finally, in year five, he won the title.

Now, would his fans have been happy getting knocked out of the tournament in the first round two years in a row? Of course not. But the record improved every year. His recruiting was improving and he was obviously showing progress and trending up.

I think that's what people are looking for from Woody most of all. Progress.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT