ADVERTISEMENT

Some Penix/Ramsey Numbers

BUT thats just it..."we don't know". That's kinda sad at this point of the season. It was the same last year too. Killed Rutgers and lay an egg against purdue. Consistency should be in place by now.

Get a 1st down...RESULT holding OR we get a few 1st downs and stall in the redzone OR miss wide open opportunities OR jump offsides and go backwards.
Other team gets a 1st down...RESULT we missed tackles OR lack a pass rush OR are LB's are out of position
Special teams has a guy pinned...RESULT He goes for 60 while we look foolish OR missed tackles OR yada yada yada...

Now we go on the road to face another team in the same situation as IU. They need a W.

Its Al Davis time. Just Win Baby! Nothing else matters.

Some of the 'inconsistency" is due to youth.
Younger players just aren't as "reliable"

One game, Ball plays great - the next he is oneof 3 guys who can't tackle a guy trapped inside the 5 on punt.

Which is also why you always hear the same praise of Ramsey - from our coaches, from TV guys - "he is steady - he doesn't hurt you - he takes what the defense gives him - etc"

Coaches love that reliability.

They love arm talent too - but they love KNOWING what to expect even more.

Which is why I have said "when Penix becomes a QB and not just a live arm - Ramsey better be a lot better or he sits."

Reactions: 76-1
I said this a few weeks ago and I stand by it. But I honestly can't think of a player on the roster who has played better than Ramsey has. Perhaps that's the issue. Perhaps not. But it's not like this roster is packed full of studs who are getting it done and are being held back by the QB.
Exactly. We're just not that good across the board. No game changers, no one (like Moore at PU) who can break a game wide open. Putting it all on the QB is short sighted.

Reactions: IUCol
Some of the 'inconsistency" is due to youth.
Younger players just aren't as "reliable"

One game, Ball plays great - the next he is oneof 3 guys who can't tackle a guy trapped inside the 5 on punt.

Which is also why you always hear the same praise of Ramsey - from our coaches, from TV guys - "he is steady - he doesn't hurt you - he takes what the defense gives him - etc"

Coaches love that reliability.

They love arm talent too - but they love KNOWING what to expect even more.

Which is why I have said "when Penix becomes a QB and not just a live arm - Ramsey better be a lot better or he sits."
I agree with what you are saying but its limited in the worst way...

We are 7th in the nation in first downs.
We are 112th in the nation in red zone offense.

We are 12th in the nation in completion percentage.
We are 84th in scoring offense.

Its the end result that counts. Between the 20s we are awesome. When it comes time to get it done???

The people on this board that blow me crap for me jumping on Ramsey in this thread need get over it your proof is above!

Those stats affect the outcome of games. Why do I always have to defend myself with stats. Some of you see it but many on this board @IUCol and a couple others who think "they know football" must be freakin blind!

Last edited:
Reactions: Lillyr66

You blame one guy. Others don't. Difference are ok.

Kick a few more field goals, take away a couple of red zone fumbles, take away an interception or 2 and those offensive stats go way up.

Maybe that impacts the record. Maybe not.

You blame one guy. Others don't. Difference are ok.

Kick a few more field goals, take away a couple of red zone fumbles, take away an interception or 2 and those offensive stats go way up.

Maybe that impacts the record. Maybe not.
I don't just blame Ramsey there are other factors as I already pointed out in a previous post.

Its the end result that counts. Between the 20s we are awesome. When it comes time to get it done???

The people on this board that blow me crap for me jumping on Ramsey in this thread need get over it your proof is above!

Those stats affect the outcome of games. Why do I always have to defend myself with stats. Some of you see it but many on this board @IUCol and a couple others who think "they know football" must be freakin blind!

I don't disagree - we die in the red zone.

But I blame the OL and WR's as much as anybody.
When you can clog an endzone with 7 guys, and clog the the line with 4, its tough to score.

When you aren't open, your QB can't throw it to you.

Look at this film from the FIU site - at :29 seconds, Ramsey makes a gun throw to Hale - it can't be done any better.

Hale was open a half step - BOOM

I only care about if Penix will come back next year ok. Our Quarterback situation was solved in the worst way possible...an injury.

Also, it’s unfair to take such a small sample size for Penix. It’s weird for players to get accustomed to a new qb. New spin, new velocity, etc. especially because he’s a lefty. We won’t know until next year, sadly. Luckily, Ramsay is a pretty good quarterback.

Why was Westbrook nearly a 1,000-yard receiver 2 years ago and isn't close to that now?
The obvious answer is Mike Debord. His offense isn't nearly as good as the Wilson offenses. Lagow was the QB that year and he actually threw for a ton of yards in 2016. He never had great touch or decision making, but he could throw deep with his arm strength.

We need a young OC.

The obvious answer is Mike Debord. His offense isn't nearly as good as the Wilson offenses. Lagow was the QB that year and he actually threw for a ton of yards in 2016. He never had great touch or decision making, but he could throw deep with his arm strength.

We need a young OC.
So let me get this right... we have a bad quarterback, a bad offensive line, a freshman running back, we are 7th in the country in first downs so we are not going 3 and out. Twelfth in completions. So we need to go to a younger inexperienced offensive coordinator.
What the stats tell me is that we are staying in the field moving the chains however not having a guy that take a 7 yard pass and turn it into a 50 yard touchdown is more of issue. Everyone knows that the more plays your team runs to score the more there is chance of making a mistake. If all of the elements of our offense are bad how do you explain being able to acquire first downs and not going in and going 3 and out after 3 and out. Also they are not turning the ball over and leaving the defense to play on short fields. Because to me those arethe true signs of an inept offense.

We need a young OC.

We threw for only 7 more yds a game in 2016 (Lagow) vs 2017(Lagow/Ramsey), and in the 6 games where Lagow played the majority of snaps, he averaged 4 more passing yards a game in 2017 than 2016. And we averaged more points in 2017 than 2016.

Why was Westbrook nearly a 1,000-yard receiver 2 years ago and isn't close to that now?

We spread the ball around more now than in 2016. In 13 games in 2016, we had 5 guys reach 200 yards and 3 guys reach 300. Through only 8 games this year, we already have 6 guys over 200, all of which are on track for over 300 hundred

We spread the ball around more now than in 2016. In 13 games in 2016, we had 5 guys reach 200 yards and 3 guys reach 300. Through only 8 games this year, we already have 6 guys over 200, all of which are on track for over 300 hundred
Harder to shut down a bunch of receivers than one. Do wish we had a guy that can take it the distance.

I don't disagree - we die in the red zone.

But I blame the OL and WR's as much as anybody.
When you can clog an endzone with 7 guys, and clog the the line with 4, its tough to score.

When you aren't open, your QB can't throw it to you.

Look at this film from the FIU site - at :29 seconds, Ramsey makes a gun throw to Hale - it can't be done any better.

Hale was open a half step - BOOM

Yea that was a thing of beauty...Gave me tons of hope at that moment. Have not seen a bullet like that since though. :( .

Harder to shut down a bunch of receivers than one. Do wish we had a guy that can take it the distance.

I think we have WRs that can, but when opposing teams can get pressure rushing 4, the extra guys in coverage help prevent the defensive breakdowns that facilitate big plays.

Reactions: IUCol
Yes, but ...

To be fair, I assume that if Penix had 289 passing attempts and 10 weeks with No. 1 reps, he might have better numbers too. Our catchers were clearly surprised by some of his throws. (That's another reason why, once you have a competition, and somebody wins, you stick with him. It takes time for catchers to adjust too - and doing it on the fly is sub-prime.)

This is an underrated and under-discussed issue that's bothered me all year. If Penix is the back-up, let him be the back-up. He's left-handed, which means the ball spins in the opposite direction coming out of his hand, and is different to catch. The receivers are going to have a tough time getting used to that on the fly during the game.

This is an underrated and under-discussed issue that's bothered me all year. If Penix is the back-up, let him be the back-up. He's left-handed, which means the ball spins in the opposite direction coming out of his hand, and is different to catch. The receivers are going to have a tough time getting used to that on the fly during the game.
Well, I would suppose they might get to practice catching his balls all week long, ya think?

Reactions: Lillyr66
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT