Junior
Gold Member
Nov 11, 2019
4th in 3rd Down Defense (17%!)
9th in Defensive Passing Efficiency
11th in Passing Yards Allowed
15th in Total Defense
T-20th in First Downs Allowed
34th in Scoring Defense (Tied for 19th if you remove the scoop-and-score for ISU)

They are good. Really good.

Last edited:
We are making progress for sure.

DL played soft during periods of time on Saturday. Completely different mentality than OSU where they literally wanted to break you in half. I want to see more of that get off the ball and eat your lunch before you even take a step mentality this week.

DL played soft during periods of time on Saturday. Completely different mentality than OSU where they literally wanted to break you in half. I want to see more of that get off the ball and eat your lunch before you even take a step mentality this week.

I agree with you here. I was disappointed in the DL in Friday’s game. Half the time they weren’t set. They are getting no pass rush. They lost containment. We had guys in the backfield missing tackles (well, specifically, our LBs a couple of times -not necessarily the down lineman). Our edge rush was poor. The ISU offensive line in the 2nd quarter pushed them around. Hopefully, they get a lot better for Saturday or Plummer will stand back there and pick them apart this weekend.

Reactions: vesuvius13
The defense needs to drive this team until the offense gets settled in. This defense could help make this a very good season for IUFB.
Mark that is exactly the way a HC would think and I agree 1000%. + the more versatile and depth created the tougher the D is to neutralize. Looks to me from this level of fandom Coach Wilt and MG are smart, determined and flexible.

How did Philip do? An unsophisticated fan like me has a hard time evaluating Dline play, and I don't recall hearing his name called.

Reactions: vesuvius13
How did Philip do? An unsophisticated fan like me has a hard time evaluating Dline play, and I don't recall hearing his name called.
Appreciate you asking.

Much better day on the stat sheet compared to OSU. Randolph graded him higher than the OSU game, but his initial PFF grade is much lower. I felt like he lost a bit of fire in the second quarter and that is not acceptable.

On a positive note...he spent hours last week studying their snap count and was actually able to make a read on one play, jump their snap, and make a clean sack. It was pretty fun to see the hard work pay off.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT