ADVERTISEMENT

Soccer

The US can’t score goals. It’s a real problem.
Losing Balogun in the first half hurt. He's a threat and he can hold the ball up. He's the only thing remotely resembling a striker that the US has had since Dempsey. Even so, he's still not wonderful. Pepe played the invisible striker role and just a passenger who never touched the ball. Not good.

This team as the most talent that any US team has ever had. Scores of international players--far less MLS guys, and we still couldn't do diddly poo. The front line of Weah, Pullisic, Balogun and Reyna (when he pays on the wing and daddy ain't crying), is very good and they should be able to create a lot of opportunities.

Remarkably, and this is an England problem too, every team the US and England play, these two teams are always second best on the ball. eston Mckennie isn't a midfield answer. He's clunky and not particularly athletic. Adams is a good player when healthy. We are solid defensively but losing Dest hurts.

There were parts of that game that we looked like we could compete with Urugauy, but a bit of fools gold. Dominated in the midfield in the second half and Uruagay just too strong.

Berhalter might be adequate playing some of the concacaf games, but he's Gareth Southgate who has wasted the best talent in the history of US soccer. He couldn't get his tactics right, his player choices and to keep his job he had to cuck up to the Reynas. That's a US Soccer problem--these effing crazy parents.... Berhalter needs to be gone today. Forget about the American coaches. Oddly enough, Klinsman had it right about US soccer--you have to reinvent the youth program and stop catering to guys who aren't producing. Not sure tacticly he was that sweet, but structurally, he knew what had to be done.

World Cup is all that matters at this point--keep bringing on the youth and find a coach with some ideas that aren't doo doo

Losing Balogun in the first half hurt. He's a threat and he can hold the ball up. He's the only thing remotely resembling a striker that the US has had since Dempsey. Even so, he's still not wonderful. Pepe played the invisible striker role and just a passenger who never touched the ball. Not good.

This team as the most talent that any US team has ever had. Scores of international players--far less MLS guys, and we still couldn't do diddly poo. The front line of Weah, Pullisic, Balogun and Reyna (when he pays on the wing and daddy ain't crying), is very good and they should be able to create a lot of opportunities.

Remarkably, and this is an England problem too, every team the US and England play, these two teams are always second best on the ball. eston Mckennie isn't a midfield answer. He's clunky and not particularly athletic. Adams is a good player when healthy. We are solid defensively but losing Dest hurts.

There were parts of that game that we looked like we could compete with Urugauy, but a bit of fools gold. Dominated in the midfield in the second half and Uruagay just too strong.

Berhalter might be adequate playing some of the concacaf games, but he's Gareth Southgate who has wasted the best talent in the history of US soccer. He couldn't get his tactics right, his player choices and to keep his job he had to cuck up to the Reynas. That's a US Soccer problem--these effing crazy parents.... Berhalter needs to be gone today. Forget about the American coaches. Oddly enough, Klinsman had it right about US soccer--you have to reinvent the youth program and stop catering to guys who aren't producing. Not sure tacticly he was that sweet, but structurally, he knew what had to be done.

World Cup is all that matters at this point--keep bringing on the youth and find a coach with some ideas that aren't doo doo
One step would be to fast track Lucho Acosta's US citizenship.

• Love
Reactions: mcmurtry66

The entire population of Uruguay matches the number of kids playing in the USA. Third rate foreign coaches here with an accent, American coaches who were never real students of the game, a revenue based promotion and recruitment system. All shitty at the youth level. Sure we produce some solid one offs like Pulisic but no meaningful depth and no style/system/brand/chemistry.

In some ways I do think mls next/academies are a bit like starting over and will help. I know quite a few who skipped college and have just been homegrown players - that’s a better path than 16 college games. Just one more little thing that’ll help but clearly we’re way behind

The entire population of Uruguay matches the number of kids playing in the USA. Third rate foreign coaches here with an accent, American coaches who were never real students of the game, a revenue based promotion and recruitment system. All shitty at the youth level. Sure we produce some solid one offs like Pulisic but no meaningful depth and no style/system/brand/chemistry.

In some ways I do think mls next/academies are a bit like starting over and will help. I know quite a few who skipped college and have just been homegrown players - that’s a better path than 16 college games. Just one more little thing that’ll help but clearly we’re way behind
You can measure a country's footballing level by their centerbacks.

We're rolling out a 35 y/o Tim Ream as our best option. He should be on the bench and a practice player. Chris Richards sucks.

All the best CBs are strikers who couldn't score. Actually, we should have ****ing great CBs.......

Berhalter out. His BIL out. Klinsmann should be the president of USSF.

Bring me Wenger or Klopp

AND HOW IN THE ****ING WORLD DID WE LET CANADA HIRE JESSE MARSCH?

We're rolling out a 35 y/o Tim Ream as our best option. He should be on the bench and a practice player. Chris Richards sucks.

All the best CBs are strikers who couldn't score. Actually, we should have ****ing great CBs.......

Bring me Wenger or Klopp

Ream is a Scott Gallagher boy. We had two on the field last night. Quintessential American players. So white you could see right through them. Trump was talking about that dirty blood crossing the border poisoning our populace. That’s probably the best thing for American soccer if we weed out the pay to play money making scheme

It’ll be very interesting to see who they choose.

I think the biggest issue for US soccer is everything is structured so formally. When you coach a u8 or u9 team, why is a coach yelling at the kids? Why is a coach telling the young player to stop dribbling? Encourage kids to play early and to dribble first, pass second. I'm talking about at the younger levels. Nobody told Kobe Bryant to stop driving to the basket.

I have soft spot in my heart for Pulisic. He group in Northville for a good chunk of his life, and played for Northville Rush--a local travel squad allowed Pulisic to play up and allowed Pulisic to develop faster. My oldest is couple of years younger than Pulisic, but played with him a couple of times at camps. I tell you what, Pulisic worked his fanny off as a little kid and it continued when he went into the academy system out in Pennsylvania. His dad was pretty smart about development and he wasn't a bastard about it. The move away from Chelsea was a Godsend for the kid.

You are right, by and large 95% of american soccer coaches are coaching a paint by numbers game. Rather embarrassing.

Ream is a Scott Gallagher boy. We had two on the field last night. Quintessential American players. So white you could see right through them. Trump was talking about that dirty blood crossing the border poisoning our populace. That’s probably the best thing for American soccer if we weed out the pay to play money making scheme

It’ll be very interesting to see who they choose.
I love Tim Ream. Woefully underrated throughout his career IMO

• Love
Reactions: larsIU

Bring me Wenger or Klopp

Like Jesse Marsch--he's top of the class when it comes to american coaches. Which isn't saying much.

I think the biggest issue for US soccer is everything is structured so formally. When you coach a u8 or u9 team, why is a coach yelling at the kids? Why is a coach telling the young player to stop dribbling? Encourage kids to play early and to dribble first, pass second. I'm talking about at the younger levels. Nobody told Kobe Bryant to stop driving to the basket.

I have soft spot in my heart for Pulisic. He group in Northville for a good chunk of his life, and played for Northville Rush--a local travel squad allowed Pulisic to play up and allowed Pulisic to develop faster. My oldest is couple of years younger than Pulisic, but played with him a couple of times at camps. I tell you what, Pulisic worked his fanny off as a little kid and it continued when he went into the academy system out in Pennsylvania. His dad was pretty smart about development and he wasn't a bastard about it. The move away from Chelsea was a Godsend for the kid.

You are right, by and large 95% of american soccer coaches are coaching a paint by numbers game. Rather embarrassing.
That’s exactly it but here’s the thing. I hear that all the time. We should encourage kids to take players on etc yet it’s all apparently just lip service. Bc once we get to formal practices with these kids we don’t see it.

And the kids aren’t playing enough on their own. Informal pickup. Where they do develop those difference maker type skills.

Question: have you ever seen a game in which the referee (Ortega) refused to shake a player's hand (Pulisic) after the game?

While it did not determine the outcome of the game, Ortega's performance last night reminded me of the one time they made my umpire a Little League game. The parents of my own team booed me. After the game, my son told me I really sucked at umpiring.

Question: have you ever seen a game in which the referee (Ortega) refused to shake a player's hand (Pulisic) after the game?

While it did not determine the outcome of the game, Ortega's performance last night reminded me of the one time they made my umpire a Little League game. The parents of my own team booed me. After the game, my son told me I really sucked at umpiring.
My multiple text chains with old teammates said that it was the worst officiated game they’d ever seen. We knew it was going to be bad when the first 20 minutes were filmed from a blimp

• Haha
That’s exactly it but here’s the thing. I hear that all the time. We should encourage kids to take players on etc yet it’s all apparently just lip service. Bc once we get to formal practices with these kids we don’t see it.

And the kids aren’t playing enough on their own. Informal pickup. Where they do develop those difference maker type skills.
Post of the year

Post of the year
Post of the year

DMhElPrWkAE1KZj.jpg

Do you like futsal for developing skills and creativity? My son only played one winter season of it, and his team was not good (they lost one game 35-0!). But, it really looked like a great way to develop what I can only analogize to street ball (basketball) type skills.

The USMNT reminds me of a team comprising Bob Cousy, Bill Sharman, Bill Russell, John Wooden, and some other white guy named Wilbur, trying to throw up set shots and lay ups.

Do you like futsal for developing skills and creativity? My son only played one winter season of it, and his team was not good (they lost one game 35-0!). But, it really looked like a great way to develop what I can only analogize to street ball (basketball) type skills.

The USMNT reminds me of a team comprising Bob Cousy, Bill Sharman, Bill Russell, John Wooden, and some other white guy named Wilbur, trying to throw up set shots and lay ups.
I absolutely love futsal and think it’s great!! Wonderful way for kids to gain touch. When I was 5 starting out we played 11 v 11 full field outdoor. So dumb. We played 192 0-0 games in a row

Futsal is great for building upon foot skills and pace of play. Kids love it too. My oldest son's college team plays it all winter, but he had been playing it since he was 14 or 15.

Reactions: Noodle
My multiple text chains with old teammates said that it was the worst officiated game they’d ever seen. We knew it was going to be bad when the first 20 minutes were filmed from a blimp
The yellow card incident was one of the craziest things I have seen in a game. Referees are going to make bad calls here and there, but last night was a whole other level. And the funny thing is, to me the yellow card incident kind of proves it was sheer incompetence rather than intentional, as some are suggesting.

I absolutely love futsal and think it’s great!! Wonderful way for kids to gain touch. When I was 5 starting out we played 11 v 11 full field outdoor. So dumb. We played 192 0-0 games in a row
5 year olds playing 11 v 11?!? ROFL That is absurd.

My kids played 5 v 5 (6 v 6?) on a little field with small, pop-up goals. I think they were 4 or 5. I still have the video of my son's first goal - an intentional own goal. He saw his big opportunity and didn't care whose goal it was. He still had a big smile on his face, which made it priceless.

• Love
Reactions: mcmurtry66
I love Tim Ream. Woefully underrated throughout his career IMO
Oh, me too. I've always had a soft spot for Fulham as well.

32 years old. Only his 7th international game. And he's reffing a COPA America game. Sure, Jan. Great idea.

And they missed the offsides. With the benefit of technology. Not that it would have mattered as the US can't score.

The yellow card incident was one of the craziest things I have seen in a game. Referees are going to make bad calls here and there, but last night was a whole other level. And the funny thing is, to me the yellow card incident kind of proves it was sheer incompetence rather than intentional, as some are suggesting.
For sure. I think the ref was just a super shitty ref 🤣🤣🤣

Actually, you know who I want. And hear me out.

Bunker defense, play on the counter. Which is precisely what the US should be doing in big non-CONCACAF tourneys. What coach loves this style of play?

Well except for DonkeyCAF

Bunker defense, play on the counter. Which is precisely what the US should be doing in big non-CONCACAF tourneys. What coach loves this style of play?

If the ref looked over and saw that on the sideline do you think he would have allowed that offside goal

1667558102646_0.jpg--.jpg

Look at this man in his children’s outfit. That’s exactly how my minion dresses. US Soccer presented by garanimals. No ref gives a shit about him.

berhalter-reyna-world-cup.jpg

Now look at this man. Throwin a sign to the ref for getting it right.

images

Oh and his playing days. No just throw me a beer

Gareth_Ainsworth.png

Our days of getting pushed around and whining about refs would be over

Last edited:
Look at this man in his children’s outfit. That’s exactly how my minion dresses. US Soccer presented by garanimals. No ref gives a shit about him.

berhalter-reyna-world-cup.jpg

Now look at this man. Throwin a sign to the ref for getting it right.

images

Oh and his playing days. No just throw me a beer

Gareth_Ainsworth.png

Our days of getting pushed around and whining about regs would be over

I love that he is wearing high tops. Totally normal for a 50 year man who is the head coach of the US mens soccer team to wear Air Jordans

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT