ADVERTISEMENT

Soccer

MLS pretty much pulled out of US Open Cup (think FA Cup for the US). Leaving the USL and other lower level leagues as the premier teams in that comp. It clearly not the best professional teams in the US.

Now they are killing one of the more successful USL franchises in the US. One that was looking to build a downtown stadium. Been in the community 15 years now. MLS getting ruthless now. Taking scalps.

Ridiculous. Why not just let Indy Eleven elevate themselves into the league. As usual, American pro sports love only one thing more than their sweet sweet TV dollars and that’s a complete lack of competition.
You might be more informed about this situation than I am. That's why I'm asking questions here. I am not a soccer fan per say but do realize what an MLS team can bring to the community. Granted this seems an odd announcement and I am not a fan of the mayor but it's my understanding the current soccer owner tried and failed to get an MLS team. Why did this happen ? I'm not sure but it's usually a money thing when this happens. Cincinnati blew right by Indy and I do know they had big bucks backing them. From my view I can't see anything more than a AAA team here unless an outside source comes forward (which it may have). That trumps everything because if you can get an major league team, go for it in my opinion.

MLS attendance is now on par with MLB and will someday surpass MLB. Indy Eleven average 9,000 game. I think MLS is the future. It might be there only chance for another major league team because bb and hockey aren't going to happen.

You might be more informed about this situation than I am. That's why I'm asking questions here. I am not a soccer fan per say but do realize what an MLS team can bring to the community. Granted this seems an odd announcement and I am not a fan of the mayor but it's my understanding the current soccer owner tried and failed to get an MLS team. Why did this happen ? I'm not sure but it's usually a money thing when this happens. Cincinnati blew right by Indy and I do know they had big bucks backing them. From my view I can't see anything more than a AAA team here unless an outside source comes forward (which it may have). That trumps everything because if you can get an major league team, go for it in my opinion.

MLS attendance is now on par with MLB and will someday surpass MLB. Indy Eleven average 9,000 game. I think MLS is the future. It might be there only chance for another major league team because bb and hockey aren't going to happen.
The problem is really US Soccer. And it's relationship with MLS. I think a lot of the soccer fans in the US are more in tune with how Europe handles their "leagues".

In England the sport is governed by the Football Association (FA). The top league is the Premier League (your household names like Man U, Man Shitty, Deadpool, Chelski, and Arsenalolololol. Then some smaller teams like Tottenham (named after a rooster) and Newcastle (named after a beer). But they are there only based on their results. If you finish in the bottom three of the Premier League you get relegated to the Championship (think AAA). The top three in the Championship are promoted to the Premier League.

Also takes tanking out of the equation as well. Also, there is no draft.

I would love for the MLS to be the Premier League of the US with the other underlying leagues ordered so as to bring in a promotion/relegation system. It's really the best way to manage multiple and varied pro sports leagues in a country.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
The problem is really US Soccer. And it's relationship with MLS. I think a lot of the soccer fans in the US are more in tune with how Europe handles their "leagues".

In England the sport is governed by the Football Association (FA). The top league is the Premier League (your household names like Man U, Man Shitty, Deadpool, Chelski, and Arsenalolololol. Then some smaller teams like Tottenham (named after a rooster) and Newcastle (named after a beer). But they are there only based on their results. If you finish in the bottom three of the Premier League you get relegated to the Championship (think AAA). The top three in the Championship are promoted to the Premier League.

Also takes tanking out of the equation as well. Also, there is no draft.

I would love for the MLS to be the Premier League of the US with the other underlying leagues ordered so as to bring in a promotion/relegation system. It's really the best way to manage multiple and varied pro sports leagues in a country.S
Stadiums and the franchise fee and apple make that hard. Stl City all in has to be a billion plus. They can’t go play a usl schedule bouncing to little stadiums in Charleston and Chattanooga

Stadiums and the franchise fee and apple make that hard. Stl City all in has to be a billion plus. They can’t go play a usl schedule bouncing to little stadiums in Charleston and Chattanooga
Cry more.

But yeah, America. I get it.

• Haha
No BVB talk? What a match yesterday. So many shots could have gone either way for both teams.
Here's an interesting concept of a video, and I think some of the matches are spot on, as our friends across the pond are prone to say.For example on first glance I'd have thought the obvious choice for Man City was KC seeing as they've both won back to back titles.

But his choice was LAR, and when you think about it the buying players aspect makes a lot of sense. The Rams shot their wad when they traded for Stafford in an all out bid for a Superbowl crown. Man City made a superstar out of Haaland for the past 2+ yrs, but injuries have slowed him down the stretch.

Stafford has seemingly lost a step and De Bruyne may be the Belgian version of Cooper Kupp, when it comes to the role key injuries played in limiting their respective squad's results in 23-24. Famous last words, but I really think either Liverpool or Arsenal will end up dethroning MC this year. And I don't see a superbowl any time soon in the LAR's future.

Anyway, I can see those similarities and some others as well. I will say I was shocked at the vitrol from the English fans in the video comment section over the idea of Man City basically buying EPL titles.

Now somebody make a post discussing the particularly English (and pretty bizarre) catch phrases of English announcers doing the play by play on soccer games. Like "he's surely won it" after a tie breaking goal in the 85th or so minute. Or describing a threat to score as posing a question and then the defense providing a response...

Might just be more obvious to me because I watch the 10-12 minute highlight video of the match and the idioms just seem to flow...

Last edited:
Un****ing real. 1 goal and 5 assists so far tonight. Mls record. 10 goals and 12 assists in just 8 games. Leading the league in both goals and assists despite missing what almost a third of the games. Young Messi could have scored a half dozen goals a game in mls. Some nights maybe ten.

Pele is no where close to Messi. No one has ever played balls like Messi. Jesus

Last edited:
Un****ing real. 1 goal and 5 assists so far tonight. Mls record. 10 goals and 12 assists in just 8 games. Leading the league in both goals and assists despite missing what almost a third of the games. Young Messi could have scored a half dozen goals a game in mls. Some nights maybe ten.

Pele is no where close to Messi. No one has ever played balls like Messi. Jesus
FC Cincinnati will stop him.

Yup. Okay that’s kind of enough posts from you in this thread for a bit. Marv will end up lost over here
I've noticed something over here: you consistently capitalize your sentences. It's like this is the serious McMurt thread, and the others are just practice for this one.

@Aloha Hoosier, what do you make of this? And please litter this thread with as many ship references as you can muster.

That's where I stayed last time I was in Miami on a case. It was niiiiiiiice.
First hearing I ever had in Miami I had my parawhore book me a room there. That afternoon managing partner summoned me to his office.

Told him I killed the hearing dude. No sweat.
Mhmmm where did you stay?
Mandarin. Loved it.
Mhmmm I don’t stay at the mandarin
Oh

First hearing I ever had in Miami I had my parawhore book me a room there. That afternoon managing partner summoned me to his office.

Mandarin. Loved it.
Oh
Laughing out loud. Hilarious.

I was always nervous about where I should book, but then I worked at a firm defending asbestos suits and they told me to book the Ritz Carlton or similar every time. Spent a lot of time in Clayton. Didn't see any ex-wife hookers, though. Or didn't notice them if I did.

• Love
That's where I stayed last time I was in Miami on a case. It was niiiiiiiice.

Mandarin. Loved it.
Oh

This is why you check your lawyers folks... can't be letting them stay in high end luxury accommodations while you business people are stuck in a Courtyard

Laughing out loud. Hilarious.

I was always nervous about where I should book, but then I worked at a firm defending asbestos suits and they told me to book the Ritz Carlton or similar every time. Spent a lot of time in Clayton. Didn't see any ex-wife hookers, though. Or didn't notice them if I did.
45 minute drive to Miami but traffic was so bad and parking so bad I’d go down the night before. From then on I stayed at old teammates houses down there and go out. Would stumble in looking like hunter Biden.

Small world re the ritz. She worked the cigar bar there. There’s a bridge behind the ritz I cross every morning on my walk to work

@larsIU - I know ManU's D was pathetic yesterday, but has any keeper allowed more near post goals?
Only De Gea. I don't give Onana a total pass here but dude gets exposed by their D way too much.

At this point I think I'm fine with them not being in any European competition next year. Fire Ten Hag and let Radcliffe work his magic.

Bye Bye to the folllowing:

Rashford
Antony (if they can find a buyer)
Casemiro (old)
Varane (also old)
Shaw (fat)
Eriksen (old and disabled)

Build around Garnacho, Mainoo, Amad, Hoijlund, Fernandes. Let Mount stay, I still think he's good in a high press system.

Start spending. Close the gap. Shoot for Europa League next year.

Only De Gea. I don't give Onana a total pass here but dude gets exposed by their D way too much.

At this point I think I'm fine with them not being in any European competition next year. Fire Ten Hag and let Radcliffe work his magic.

Bye Bye to the folllowing:

Rashford
Antony (if they can find a buyer)
Casemiro (old)
Varane (also old)
Shaw (fat)
Eriksen (old and disabled)

Build around Garnacho, Mainoo, Amad, Hoijlund, Fernandes. Let Mount stay, I still think he's good in a high press system.

Start spending. Close the gap. Shoot for Europa League next year.
Shaw is built like an O40

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
He seems more like a Fontainebleau guy. I personally would choose the Mandarin.
Anyone hit the Shore Club back in the day? We financed it. Used to have events there all the time.

Then moved to the Ritz.

Then the W.

Now we've been going to the Faena.

I miss the old Shore Club. Looks like a fowl sanctuary now. 😄

Anyone hit the Shore Club back in the day? We financed it. Used to have events there all the time.

Then moved to the Ritz.

Then the W.

Now we've been going to the Faena.

I miss the old Shore Club. Looks like a fowl sanctuary now. 😄
of course!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT