ADVERTISEMENT

Soccer rules question from women's championship last night

kkott

Hall of Famer
Oct 26, 2001
I played club soccer for a few years in middle/high school, but don't recall all the rules and of course they may have changed in 40 years, and was wondering about UCLA's 2nd goal last night. Corner kick that to me actually looks like it curved into the goal (that is allowable and would count, correct?). The UCLA players basically just did a mad rush into the goal, one girl pushed the UNC goalie into the goal taking her out of the play while the girl behind her tried for a header, was turning in the air and hit the ball with her shoulder. My question is what's the rule about crossing into the goal during a play? I thought your momentum could carry you into the goal after the shot, but a player couldn't be inside the goal area. It really looked to me like the UCLA girl didn't even make contact with the ball until she was inside the goal. Essentially heading/shouldering (the ball looked to hit off her shoulder) a ball into the goal that was already in or heading in. The announcers never addressed any type of violation. Here are the highlights and the play in question is at the 1:54 mark and they show a couple replays. What are the rules and what do you see for this play?

Good close and tense game. UNC should have won with a 2-0 second half lead with 10 minutes remaining. UCLA gets their first goal then and then the tying one with 16 seconds left and wins in OT.

It's legal to score directly on a corner kick. Rutgers made a goal like that against the IU men in the Big Ten final. It takes a lot of skill and often some gusty winds. Regarding the contact, I'm not sure what the official rules are. Usually the GK is very protected and any contact with him/her by an attacking player is a foul. Perhaps the ref swallowed his whistle last night since it was a championship match.

It's legal to score directly on a corner kick. Rutgers made a goal like that against the IU men in the Big Ten final. It takes a lot of skill and often some gusty winds. Regarding the contact, I'm not sure what the official rules are. Usually the GK is very protected and any contact with him/her by an attacking player is a foul. Perhaps the ref swallowed his whistle last night since it was a championship match.
Yeah, I think they didn't want to blow a whistle, but I thought it was a foul on the girl bodying the goalkeeper. She shoves her into the goal and onto the ground and she likely could've made a play on the ball, which went right over where she was. With the height of the shot and how it's curving towards the goal, I think the goal keeper is the only defender who could've made a play. Great corner and play at a crucial time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT