ADVERTISEMENT

So they are gonna refuse an NIT if they get one?!?!….

Right call to decline a NIT bid given the number of guys who wouldn’t play (Ware, Trey, probably MM and MR, X). Woody should focus all effort on recruiting the portal, not a meaningless tourney that IU would likely be embarrassed in anyway.

That’s bad and dumb. Crazy to do that.
It's where our program is. Too many hired guns here for themselves and not going to risk their future. I don't really blame them either. What's it really mean to win the NIT and this group of players isn't building for anything. Ware is gone, and based on MR's "no comment" about the future, he quite likely is too, and MM. Banks is likely leaving and I think Cupps will too; he didn't look like he was having any fun playing ball for most of the year. I would guess the portal will finally kill the NIT.

It's where our program is. Too many hired guns here for themselves and not going to risk their future. I don't really blame them either. What's it really mean to win the NIT and this group of players isn't building for anything. Ware is gone, and based on MR's "no comment" about the future, he quite likely is too, and MM. Banks is likely leaving and I think Cupps will too; he didn't look like he was having any fun playing ball for most of the year. I would guess the portal will finally kill the NIT.
Speaking of Cupps.... since he is an Ohio kid.... would be go to Ohio State with this new coach, if they were to come calling on him? He's probably a kid that would shine in a new surrounding, especially at home in Ohio.

Right call to decline a NIT bid given the number of guys who wouldn’t play (Ware, Trey, probably MM and MR, X). Woody should focus all effort on recruiting the portal, not a meaningless tourney that IU would likely be embarrassed in anyway.
X would play…this is it for him. But he’d be playing one on five. This is a mercy killing. Be glad it’s over.

If all that plays our Woody is going to hold recruiting tryouts at hper open gyms this summer.

Reactions: edub72
This is my fear, for next season to even be remotely watchable Woodson can't afford to lose any of MM, MR, or Cupps. If he loses 2 or God forbid all three then IU should fire him on the spot.

Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU
They should never pass up an opportunity to shoot free throws!

In all seriousness, if they think they are too good for the NIT they have a radically over inflated opinion of themselves and their abilities.

100% correct the arrogance is unreal given its an NIT level program.
I would guess that if IU accepted an NIT bid....the results would be such that people would complain that they never should have accepted it. IU has disgraced itself enough already this season. Let the program RIP.

Speaking of Cupps.... since he is an Ohio kid.... would be go to Ohio State with this new coach, if they were to come calling on him? He's probably a kid that would shine in a new surrounding, especially at home in Ohio.

I would be surprised if any other B10 offered Cupps. Could see him possibly at Dayton or Wright State, or a MAC school.

Even if all players were intending on playing, and they lose, then the pressure on Woody/Dolson would be even higher.

They need to get different players then, players that love the game of basketball.
The problem is that’s not the type of players Woody has recruited , so what makes people think he would recruit those type of players now . I say if we would get a NIT bid , and that’s a big if , that we should accept it . Then we see who is here because they love the game and who is just here for the money . In closing I had a great time yesterday at the D3 national championship game in Ft.Wayne. Our local team Trine Unv. From Angola Indiana won the National championship. As I watched the game I thought that these kids are playing because they love the game . They don’t get NIL , they don’t get scholarships .All they get is a chance to keep playing , and an education . If you have a D3 , or NAIA team in your area you should try attending , as you will see some really good and fun basketball .

Well we're still something like 98 in .net, so there's really no guarantee of a bid. IU might just be pre-emptively turning down a bid in order to dodge the embarrassment of not getting one.

But really, does anyone actually want to see this team play again? What's the benefit of going to the NIT and losing to Butler in round 1. Or Southern Tennessee Tech. Even if you win the thing you're still just King of the Dipshits. Zero upside.

This is my fear, for next season to even be remotely watchable Woodson can't afford to lose any of MM, MR, or Cupps. If he loses 2 or God forbid all three then IU should fire him on the spot.
Like I said a few weeks ago, if Ware leaves they should fire him on the spot. If Ware stays, it might give them a chance to retain the team and fill a few key spots then hit the 25 class hard.

You can go out and find Marcus Domask, Lance Jones, Jahmir Young, and Brice Williams to try to put a bandaid on next season- and it might work. Trouble is there are no freshmen except Newton. There is no future even if Woodson figures out a way to salvage next year.

Guys like Reneau and Mgbako absolutely have to be here 3 or 4 years. You cannot go out and get a new team every season. That will never work. Even Calipari hasn't pulled that off and he gets handfuls of 5 star guys every season.

Football had the.same problem. If the bowl game wasn't to get i nto the.championship then they didn't play.because of draft status. Now you have players who want to protect their portal status. It is just business.

Like I said a few weeks ago, if Ware leaves they should fire him on the spot. If Ware stays, it might give them a chance to retain the team and fill a few key spots then hit the 25 class hard.

You can go out and find Marcus Domask, Lance Jones, Jahmir Young, and Brice Williams to try to put a bandaid on next season- and it might work. Trouble is there are no freshmen except Newton. There is no future even if Woodson figures out a way to salvage next year.

Guys like Reneau and Mgbako absolutely have to be here 3 or 4 years. You cannot go out and get a new team every season. That will never work. Even Calipari hasn't pulled that off and he gets handfuls of 5 star guys every season.
I agree with some of your points but getting fired for Ware going pro when he is projected to be a first round pick? You expect MM to be around for 3 or 4 years ? I’d agree both would be possible if it was still 1977 or so.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Well we're still something like 98 in .net, so there's really no guarantee of a bid. IU might just be pre-emptively turning down a bid in order to dodge the embarrassment of not getting one.

But really, does anyone actually want to see this team play again? What's the benefit of going to the NIT and losing to Butler in round 1. Or Southern Tennessee Tech. Even if you win the thing you're still just King of the Dipshits. Zero upside.

Bingo. Don't think they would have even gotten a NIT bid. These clowns just trying to not embarrass themselves anymore than they already have.

Fire Woodson. Fire Dolson.

Ware is gone 100%

Even if everyone would play, I’d give the injury excuse and NIT isn’t worth any further injuries. Better to say your guys need to be allowed heal instead of potentially getting embarrassed by Nowhere State in the NIT

I'm not 100% sure on Dolson. It would be interesting to know the dynamic there, and how much influence he had with Woodson's hiring and retention. If he was truly a proponent of the hire, that's enough to show him the door.

He's part of the incumbent regime for the last 20 years of failures across the AD in the two major revenue sports. You cannot change culture by keeping these same perennial losers in charge.

He also publicly owned the Woodson hire.

Reactions: BigAppleHoosier
He's part of the incumbent regime for the last 20 years of failures across the AD in the two major revenue sports. You cannot change culture by keeping these same perennial losers in charge.

True. Begone with that clown!

We could have easily hired an AD with experience building up FB and BB programs. I know IU isn’t too good at those sports, but we are in a mega conference and flush with TV $ that I’m sure many ADs would love the luxury of spending.

But no, hired internally and immediately flubbed the bball coach hire almost comically. An NBA only guy with no college experience with Thad in some made up oversight position? Yep.

I don’t think Scott is going anywhere. It seems like he works well with Pam. I hope he gets the next bball hire right and no one meddles with his process.

He is going to shine here.

It’s too bad. Was kind of wanting to see them just one more time in their “Fear of…Good God! What are Those?” uniforms while Woody wears the burlap sack on the sidelines for old time sake.

K. Ware has little more to prove to NBA scouts, and it’s not the same team without Trey. Probably a good choice.

What’s missing in the reporting is whether this was a players’ call, coaches’ call, or the AD.
My guess is Woodson didn’t want to be more embarrassed by getting another shellacking. If Ware sat out it would get ugly.

Reactions: bbafficionado
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT