ADVERTISEMENT

So 'Nova, with their off-brand tradition, can muster a title

every 30 years, but IU can't?

If that isn't an indication that IU is a 2nd rate, wannabe program.... I don't know what is.
This is dumb enough for the freebie, should have taken it there.

But, durr hurrr, this this the only place with reasonable discussion. Hurr durr, I have to infect the good with bad. Reeeeeeeeeeeeee!

I really just wanted to hear from you. I just left the polling station and am suffering #berniebros withdraw already.

Wait, are you implying that IU is NOT a second-rate, wanna-be program?

Because the administrative decisions made by the Athletic Department over the past 20+ years (and continue to be made) would suggest otherwise.

No. I'm implying that the OP is dumb enough for the freebie...

Reactions: Moops
Lookout Shillary, especially if Wisconsin and NY are feelin the Bern

FWIW...He should win WI. He was favored in the polls, and it looks like lots of young folks and first time voters (ie Bernie fans) are out. I haven't seen any polling for NY, but just assume he will lose to her in her "home" state.

FWIW...He should win WI. He was favored in the polls, and it looks like lots of young folks and first time voters (ie Bernie fans) are out. I haven't seen any polling for NY, but just assume he will lose to her in her "home" state.
He will but he's narrowed the gap considerably.

If that isn't an indication that IU is a 2nd rate, wannabe program.... I don't know what is.

This incredibly fvcked up thought occurred to me the other day: There may actually be posters on this board who were not even alive the last time IU won a national title. How's that for a smack across the face of perspective.

This incredibly fvcked up thought occurred to me the other day: There may actually be posters on this board who were not even alive the last time IU won a national title. How's that for a smack across the face of perspective.
I was in the 8th grade baby... Hell yeah.

Just keepin it real !!

That's why it's not as painful for them as it is for us who have experienced the joy of basketball dominance and national championships at IU. That's why many of them are probably happy with Sweet 16 appearances. They'll never truly understand. I weep for the IU youth.

That' not f'd up, that's fact and has been for about 5 years. Let's face it: our banners are dusty! And, get off my lawn!

Just keepin it real !!

I was 2. So I have no memory of 87 (I'm positive there's a few posters in that same boat) and a vague recollection of the Cheaney FF and Elite 8 teams. I had come to terms for awhile that we were at the low end of the adult fanbase. Now I've realized there are graduates of IU (not like I graduated 5 minutes ago and am in the process of moving out of my parents' house and off of a Ramen diet, but real adults with mortgages and marriages), adults wasting their work days on Peegs, perhaps actually reading this, who did not even exist the last time Indiana won a title. :(

That's how you lose a tradition. You can already see it with the "acceptance of mediocrity." It's not acceptance so much as being happy with what you have.

There aren't very many major programs that are elite (say top 5 or top 10) in either sport with the championship drought that IU has.

ND football comes close, but they have a bigger fan base and ethnic/religious ties that bind. They are also at least a current top 10ish team under Kelly which has placated 80% of the base.

There really aren't any other ones. IU is mostly a 2nd tier program, with a lot of potential still, if you talk to any non-IU fan.

Reactions: C-$
Right after Keith Smart's jumper went in and time expired, if the amazing Kreskin told me that I would never see number 6, I would not have believed it.
Hell at that point, I thought it's just what we do. Win championships. Sigh. Still depressed.

Reactions: largemouth

I was 2 years old, and wouldn't know IU basketball for another 8 years when my older brother went to Bloomington. So all of these glory days you old people on this board talk about, are just tall tales to me. I do, however, remember the run to the title game in 2002. I was in New Orleans when Jay Williams missed that free throw in the sweet 16, and I was in Bloomington for the win against Oklahoma. Saw my first burning couch after beating Oklahoma.

Just keepin it real !!

I was 7. It's the first college basketball game I can really remember paying attention to from start to finish. I was 12 for the '92 Final Four and it was the first year that I realized that a college basketball game could ruin my day and that there was a real conspiracy against IU that lasts until this day. I was a 5th year at IU for our Final Four in '02...I was sure we were back to stay. Little did I know that the ra-tardness that is our athletic department had only just begun.

I was 8 years old for the 1976 championship. I don't really remember that one much other than my parents were going crazy in the house screaming and cheering.

I was 13 years old for the 1981 championship. It was just the previous year that I really started getting into basketball, so it was phenomenal and I was super excited for that title and wore IU gear it seemed like every other day to school.

I was 19 and a freshman at IU for the 1987 championship. For those of you who were a student on campus for any of the championships...you understand. For those who were not, it's totally amazing and exciting, but just not the same if you're not actually enrolled and on campus at that moment. Still one of the top 3 most fond moments of my life. Going crazy in Teeter Thompson after the game. Then running down to Showalter Fountain to cheer in victory with the thousands and thousands of other students, staff, and locals. Drinking beer, hugging strangers, just going crazy. Such an amazing feeling!

3 national championships in 11 years. I thought that's how it would always be...win one every 4 years or so. It's truly sad to think it's been almost 30 years since our last. *sigh*

Hello!
That's why it's not as painful for them as it is for us who have experienced the joy of basketball dominance and national championships at IU. That's why many of them are probably happy with Sweet 16 appearances. They'll never truly understand. I weep for the IU youth.
Nope! I'm not happy.

The bigger issue for "the youth" is that there is considerably more competition for sporting attention. People don't bleed IU Basketball all year because they've got the Colts, Pacers, Cubs, Reds, Indy Eleven, racing, and hell -- European and international soccer. Indiana's just a part of your "fan portfolio", so to speak. To many, sure, IU sucked, but the Pacers are OK and Indy Eleven season just kicked off.

Yes, losing has a lot to do with it. But there are other significant factors that lead people to care less. Just too much entertainment now.

Last edited:

Honest question for you:

Jay Wright's last 5 NCAA Tournaments before this year:
  • Didn't make it to the 2nd weekend in any of those 5 years
  • That included one year as a one seed and two years as a 2 seed.
  • the other two years were as 9 seeds where they lost the first game both times
Can you imagine if Crean had that NCAA record for 5 years in a row what you would be saying about him? Try to be honest about it. How would you evaluate that failure rate?

Reactions: MillerTime
Hello!

Nope! I'm not happy.

The bigger issue for "the youth" is that there is considerably more competition for sporting attention. People don't bleed IU Basketball all year because they've got the Colts, Pacers, Cubs, Reds, Indy Eleven, racing, and hell -- European and international soccer. Indiana's just a part of your "fan portfolio", so to speak. To many, sure, IU sucked, but the Pacers are OK and Indy Eleven season just kicked off.

Yes, losing has a lot to do with it. But there are other significant factors that lead people to care less. Just too much entertainment now.

I don't know, other sports and the Pacers have always existed. To me, winning is the key. If anything, CTC has shown that the passion can be reignited and if we were a dominant program and challenging and winning our share of national titles, the support would be at a frenzy level I believe. The one difference I notice is with the Colts. Having an NFL team, and possibly that coinciding with class bball, and single sport focus, has changed the dynamic in IN to me. Now many top athletes are focusing on football, where in prior years bball was the #1 sport. I do think football and specifically the NFL and having a franchise that has had some success have changed the sports culture in IN. Not eliminated it, but changed it noticeably.

Wait, are you implying that IU is NOT a second-rate, wanna-be program?

Because the administrative decisions made by the Athletic Department over the past 20+ years (and continue to be made) would suggest otherwise.
He's a pro-Crean turd. Ignore the flee.

That's how you lose a tradition. You can already see it with the "acceptance of mediocrity." It's not acceptance so much as being happy with what you have.

There aren't very many major programs that are elite (say top 5 or top 10) in either sport with the championship drought that IU has.

ND football comes close, but they have a bigger fan base and ethnic/religious ties that bind. They are also at least a current top 10ish team under Kelly which has placated 80% of the base.

There really aren't any other ones. IU is mostly a 2nd tier program, with a lot of potential still, if you talk to any non-IU fan.

Crean and glass brain washing. downplaying iu.

Honest question for you:

Can you imagine if Crean had that NCAA record for 5 years in a row what you would be saying about him? Try to be honest about it. How would you evaluate that failure rate?

Funny you should ask since I can tell you after making the Final 4 in 2003 with Marquette, here were Crean's next 5 postseasons:
  • NIT
  • NIT
  • NCAA First Round
  • NCAA First Round
  • NCAA Second Round
After that, he left for Indiana. And before the Final Four year, his first 3 years at Marquette were only NIT, no postseason, and NCAA first round.

Now, what were people saying about this at Marquette? Not much. He was still getting cheered up until he jetted for IU and the seat was not hot. Most people were still excited about the players McNeal and James had turned into and that he had swiped Wes Mathews from Wisky. Why? Because that's a level of success at Marquette that fans will still be optimistic you're developing something given their basketball history and resources. Similar to how Wright can have some down years at Villanova because that's acceptable there given their basketball history and resources.

Now, if the use of italics hasn't made it clear, what the key distinction is here, allow me to make it even more obvious.....

VILLANOVA AND MARQUETTE AIN'T INDIANA!!!!

This thread is completely depressing. I was 12 in 1987 and was living and breathing IU basketball. We had season tickets back then and I probably saw 80% of IU's home games from around 1985 - 1998. Even in the late 90's it seemed like it was just a blip and that it would of course return back to normal. Normal was winning the big ten at least once every 4 years and then a championship at least once a decade. Dammit.

Shiiittt, I was only 4 years old so don't remember it besides my dad going and bringing home championship goodies for the fam. My freshman year at IU was the run to the championship game, but it's been all downhill since

Here's your answer...
img24783553.jpg

Reactions: Rakkasan29
Funny you should ask since I can tell you after making the Final 4 in 2003 with Marquette, here were Crean's next 5 postseasons:
  • NIT
  • NIT
  • NCAA First Round
  • NCAA First Round
  • NCAA Second Round
After that, he left for Indiana. And before the Final Four year, his first 3 years at Marquette were only NIT, no postseason, and NCAA first round.

Now, what were people saying about this at Marquette? Not much. He was still getting cheered up until he jetted for IU and the seat was not hot. Most people were still excited about the players McNeal and James had turned into and that he had swiped Wes Mathews from Wisky. Why? Because that's a level of success at Marquette that fans will still be optimistic you're developing something given their basketball history and resources. Similar to how Wright can have some down years at Villanova because that's acceptable there given their basketball history and resources.

Now, if the use of italics hasn't made it clear, what the key distinction is here, allow me to make it even more obvious.....

VILLANOVA AND MARQUETTE AIN'T INDIANA!!!!

Sorry man, but Indiana stopped being Indiana long before Tom Crean got here and long before Bob Knight left. I'd love to find a coach to replace Crean and feel at least 90% confident that we'd get better results than we're getting now, but I'm not convinced such a coach is interested in coming here.

I did notice you didn't answer the question though.....how would you evaluate a coach at Indiana with a stretch of 5 straight years like the years Wright had at Villanova?

Honest question for you:

I'm able to assess a coach without relying strictly on results. If you can't, that's on you... and you have a lot of company including everyone in IU's Ath. Dept.

I gave my assessment of Wright in another thread a while back. Nothing has changed for me. Go look it up if you're really interested.

1987....I was 7.....remember my Dad and family going nuts. The euphoria leaked into the next couple seasons and 1989 looked to be one of those magical years.....thanks Seton Hall, you bastages. TV Teddy screwed us in '92 and a fk'in knee injury fk'd us in '93.....2002 was fun but a total fluke....and then the AD chit storm began.....has never let up.

I hate Myles Brand, I hate IU admin for the last 20 years, and I especially hate Fred Glass and Tom Crean.......FK all of them with a splintered tree branch.

Reactions: C-$ and Rakkasan29
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT