ADVERTISEMENT

Sitting at #28 this morning for RPI Live

kraft cheese+macaroni

Hall of Famer
Jul 21, 2010
Being idle yesterday actually improved our position by one spot.

I wish I were more optimistic about a Wednesday win. We just haven't fared well against aces. I think Minnesota's ace shut us down and they beat us 11-0 (top of my head). Let's not have that Wednesday! ha ha

Reactions: jmbennett and RBB89
Being idle yesterday actually improved our position by one spot.

I wish I were more optimistic about a Wednesday win. We just haven't fared well against aces. I think Minnesota's ace shut us down and they beat us 11-0 (top of my head). Let's not have that Wednesday! ha ha
There is at least one site (Perfect Game) who thinks Indiana is still vulnerable for an NCAA bid, as our resume is extremely RPI top heavy, with a sixth place league finish. There won't be five Big Ten teams in the NCAA tourney, by all estimation. If Minnesota or Iowa wins the Big Ten tournament (or Purdue or Northwestern, for that matter), we may still have a problem, believe it or not.

There is at least one site (Perfect Game) who thinks Indiana is still vulnerable for an NCAA bid, as our resume is extremely RPI top heavy, with a sixth place league finish. There won't be five Big Ten teams in the NCAA tourney, by all estimation. If Minnesota or Iowa wins the Big Ten tournament (or Purdue or Northwestern, for that matter), we may still have a problem, believe it or not.

I guess I can believe that, especially if we go 0-2 in the tournament. But I'd be curious as to this sort of analysis that's been done regarding our conference schedule. And other than Iowa, we played every team that made the Big Ten tournament and I'd be curious to know how our schedule within the conference compared to others. I think it's often lazy to simply look at where a team finished in the conference without also examining the unbalanced schedule.

Reactions: mazz and jmbennett
I guess I can believe that, especially if we go 0-2 in the tournament. But I'd be curious as to this sort of analysis that's been done regarding our conference schedule. And other than Iowa, we played every team that made the Big Ten tournament and I'd be curious to know how our schedule within the conference compared to others. I think it's often lazy to simply look at where a team finished in the conference without also examining the unbalanced schedule.

You make a good point about the unbalanced conference schedule. Below is the breakdown, per a guy on the Nebraska board.

If there is an upset in the Big Ten Tournament, the selection committee will select Nebraska as the regular season champion and Michigan, who has been in the top 15 all year. IU will probably have to fight it out with Maryland for the fourth bid. They have a slightly better overall record and we have a slightly better RPI. We've played well down the stretch, with a big win over Louisville, while they have lost four of their last five. If we go 0-2 in the tournament, it would help if Maryland also goes 0-2, or no better than 1-2.

It's also possible, I suppose, that the selection committee could buck the conventional wisdom and select five Big Ten teams.

1. In order of winning percentage, here are each tournament participant's record against other tourney teams:

#1 Nebraska (7-4-1, .625)
    #6 Indiana (10-7-1, .583)
    #2 Michigan (5-4, .556)
    #5 Iowa (5-4, .556)
    #7 Northwestern (6-6, .500)
    #4 Maryland (5-7, .417)
    #8 Purdue (6-9, .400)
    #3 Minnesota (3-6, .333)

6 of Indiana's 8 conference series were against one of the other 7 tournament participants. They did not play Iowa.

Iowa, Michigan, and Minnesota each only played 3 other tournament participants.

Team by team records...

#1 NEBRASKA (7-4-1, .625)
    Indiana: 2-0-1
    Maryland: 2-1
    Iowa: 1-2
    Minnesota: 2-1

#6 INDIANA (10-7-1, .583)
    Northwestern: 3-0
    Nebraska: 0-2-1
    Purdue: 1-2
    Michigan: 2-1

#2 MICHIGAN (5-4, .556)
    Maryland: 1-2
    Indiana: 1-2
    Purdue: 3-0

#5 IOWA (5-4, .556)
    Purdue: 2-1
    Northwestern: 1-2
    Nebraska: 2-1

#7 NORTHWESTERN (6-6, .500)
    Indiana: 0-3
    Iowa: 2-1

#4 MARYLAND (5-7, .417)
    Nebraska: 1-2

#8 PURDUE (6-9, .400)
    Indiana: 2-1
    Michigan: 0-3

#3 MINNESOTA (3-6, .333)

Reactions: jmbennett
You make a good point about the unbalanced conference schedule. Below is the breakdown, per a guy on the Nebraska board.

If there is an upset in the Big Ten Tournament, the selection committee will select Nebraska as the regular season champion and Michigan, who has been in the top 15 all year. IU will probably have to fight it out with Maryland for the fourth bid. They have a slightly better overall record and we have a slightly better RPI. We've played well down the stretch, with a big win over Louisville, while they have lost four of their last five. If we go 0-2 in the tournament, it would help if Maryland also goes 0-2, or no better than 1-2.

It's also possible, I suppose, that the selection committee could buck the conventional wisdom and select five Big Ten teams.

1. In order of winning percentage, here are each tournament participant's record against other tourney teams:

#1 Nebraska (7-4-1, .625)
    #6 Indiana (10-7-1, .583)
    #2 Michigan (5-4, .556)
    #5 Iowa (5-4, .556)
    #7 Northwestern (6-6, .500)
    #4 Maryland (5-7, .417)
    #8 Purdue (6-9, .400)
    #3 Minnesota (3-6, .333)

6 of Indiana's 8 conference series were against one of the other 7 tournament participants. They did not play Iowa.

Iowa, Michigan, and Minnesota each only played 3 other tournament participants.

Team by team records...

#1 NEBRASKA (7-4-1, .625)
    Indiana: 2-0-1

#6 INDIANA (10-7-1, .583)
    Northwestern: 3-0
    Nebraska: 0-2-1

#2 MICHIGAN (5-4, .556)
    Maryland: 1-2
    Purdue: 3-0

#5 IOWA (5-4, .556)
    Nebraska: 2-1

#7 NORTHWESTERN (6-6, .500)
    Indiana: 0-3
    Iowa: 2-1

#4 MARYLAND (5-7, .417)

#8 PURDUE (6-9, .400)
    Indiana: 2-1
    Michigan: 0-3

#3 MINNESOTA (3-6, .333)
We have the best resume in the B1G, to be honest.

#30 overall SOS (Michigan #125)
#10 non-conference SOS (Michigan #143)
#28 RPI (Michigan #29)

I'm not sure Michigan is such a shoo-in if neither us now them perform well in the tournament and Nebraska doesn't win.

We have the best resume in the B1G, to be honest.

#30 overall SOS (Michigan #125)
#10 non-conference SOS (Michigan #143)
#28 RPI (Michigan #29)

I'm not sure Michigan is such a shoo-in if neither us now them perform well in the tournament and Nebraska doesn't win.

What do you think now that Michigan lost both games? B10 announcers kept saying they're in win or lose.

What do you think now that Michigan lost both games? B10 announcers kept saying they're in win or lose.

I'd agree they're in....2nd best resume in the conference. Honestly, if neither Nebraska nor Maryland (esp the Terrapins) don't win it, I'd be nervous if I were them.

We have to be in before Michigan...right....? Hope they will give credit to our SOS.

We are in. Period. But Michigan is pretty safe. Been ranked (15 now i believe) most of the season, even with half the resume we have.

27th. Chris Webb says on twitter that IU is safely in.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT