ADVERTISEMENT

SI - Indiana Women's Basketball Dominates Greek All-Stars 120-50 in Athens - link to full game

I have seen some twitter clips of game action and have seen the box scores.
Yardon recently played in a FIBA tournament for Israel and has now joined the team.
Henna played for Finland and does not appear to be with the team.
Any info? Still playing for Finland? Transferring?

I have seen some twitter clips of game action and have seen the box scores.
Yardon recently played in a FIBA tournament for Israel and has now joined the team.
Henna played for Finland and does not appear to be with the team.
Any info? Still playing for Finland? Transferring?
IU website still shows her on roster.

She was playing for Finland's U20 National team at the same time as the trip
Great. Thanks.
She was getting some minutes as a freshman and I had some hopes she might really blossom.
Having said that, our two current rookies, Lamendola and Beaumont, I thought looked good in Greece.

It will be interesting to see how the team responds this year. Obviously, I was very disappointed with how the last season ended but even more disappointed with the way Moren seemingly tried to slap a happy face on the failure.

It will be interesting to see how the team responds this year. Obviously, I was very disappointed with how the last season ended but even more disappointed with the way Moren seemingly tried to slap a happy face on the failure.
Didn't see her comments as to what you are referring to, but with the arc of the program, and all they accomplished, I think you have to consider the season a success. They are in uncharted territory for our women's program and it's not a flash in the pan. Women's bball is dominated by a few elite schools and southern teams and B10 teams just aren't quite at that level yet or physical like that. It wasn't like we got blown out, just couldn't quite get over the hump vs a team that was more physical. Honestly, I was more disappointed in them losing in the B10 tourney, because they'd already proven they were the best there. If that's "slapping a happy face" on what you term a failure, so be it. They may have lost a couple rounds earlier than I expected, but I knew they were going to struggle when they hit those elite teams and Miami, both men's and women's, played like those teams.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
Didn't see her comments as to what you are referring to, but with the arc of the program, and all they accomplished, I think you have to consider the season a success. They are in uncharted territory for our women's program and it's not a flash in the pan. Women's bball is dominated by a few elite schools and southern teams and B10 teams just aren't quite at that level yet or physical like that. It wasn't like we got blown out, just couldn't quite get over the hump vs a team that was more physical. Honestly, I was more disappointed in them losing in the B10 tourney, because they'd already proven they were the best there. If that's "slapping a happy face" on what you term a failure, so be it. They may have lost a couple rounds earlier than I expected, but I knew they were going to struggle when they hit those elite teams and Miami, both men's and women's, played like those teams.
Agree
1. The season ended on a down note. But when you are in the hunt for a national championship, all but one team ends with a loss.
2. The season overall was a success. A big ten (20?) championship is a banner.

With the success we had in 22-23 until the last week or ten days it will be interesting to see how we do in 23-24. I can see some confident play until very late. Then I wonder if they might tense worrying about a repeat loss in the tourneys.

Reactions: IU2Bgood
Agree
1. The season ended on a down note. But when you are in the hunt for a national championship, all but one team ends with a loss.
2. The season overall was a success. A big ten (20?) championship is a banner.

With the success we had in 22-23 until the last week or ten days it will be interesting to see how we do in 23-24. I can see some confident play until very late. Then I wonder if they might tense worrying about a repeat loss in the tourneys.
My point is, I don't think we were ever in the hunt for a NC really. I still think B10 teams have a ways to go before they can compete with the top of the SEC. It reminds me of the Greek Freak's comments about losing in the playoffs and did that make the season a failure. He basically said no, that you have to grow in stages and I think our women's team is doing that. Can a B10 program recruit enough athletes to compete with the best in the SEC and nationally? Have to see!

My point is, I don't think we were ever in the hunt for a NC really. I still think B10 teams have a ways to go before they can compete with the top of the SEC. It reminds me of the Greek Freak's comments about losing in the playoffs and did that make the season a failure. He basically said no, that you have to grow in stages and I think our women's team is doing that. Can a B10 program recruit enough athletes to compete with the best in the SEC and nationally? Have to see!
That seems like defeatist BS to me. I’m not gonna label a 2nd rd exit a success, especially coming directly off of an elite eight and a sweet sixteen. Plus, don’t look now, but the lowly B10 probably already beat the best team in the SEC last season. Unfortunately, it was a semifinal game, not the championship, and they didn’t have anything left in the tank after that.

Reactions: IUgradman
It is tough to get up and into that upper level. Look at our football team. I think Moran has the team in a position where we can compete reasonably well with UConn, South Carolina, and Stanford.

That seems like defeatist BS to me. I’m not gonna label a 2nd rd exit a success, especially coming directly off of an elite eight and a sweet sixteen. Plus, don’t look now, but the lowly B10 probably already beat the best team in the SEC last season. Unfortunately, it was a semifinal game, not the championship, and they didn’t have anything left in the tank after that.
Yeah, reality has a way of sounding defeatist to internet tough guys and couch coaches. This was a good year and contributed to our program growing. Progress in sports/life isn't always linear. Moren has our program headed in a great direction and I think will see and address our need to become more athletic and physical.

Iowa beating USC was a fluke. USC beats them 8-9 out of 10. Clark is a generational talent and it took her best, plus season best performances from a couple other players to get there. 1 game doesn't make a bunch of 20 year olds run out of gas 2 nights later, they just couldn't replicate that amazing performance again against a team that was superior physically.

you didn't think LSU was superior physically to Iowa, and instead want to blame that a bunch of 20 year olds were still "tired" 2 days later? Good grief, I'd play 2-3 hours of continuous ball at the HPER when I was 20, day in day out and I wasn't a well-conditioned and trained college athlete, with trainers, ice baths, nutrition plans, etc...! Sounds like defeatist BS to me...

Last edited:
you didn't think LSU was superior physically to Iowa, and instead want to blame that a bunch of 20 year olds were still "tired" 2 days later? Good grief, I'd play 2-3 hours of continuous ball at the HPER when I was 20, day in day out and I wasn't a well-conditioned and trained college athlete, with trainers, ice baths, nutrition plans, etc...! Sounds like defeatist BS to me...
LOL. I’d call it not being mentally tough enough to overcome their obvious physical exhaustion. Nice try though…

So the SEASON wasn't a success because the TOURNAMENT wasn't a success?

LOL. I’d call it not being mentally tough enough to overcome their obvious physical exhaustion. Nice try though…
mental exhaustion maybe. But, playing against a more athletic team often leads to and makes you appear frustrated. Again, USC beats them 8-9 out of 10, and so does LSU. They pulled the rabbit out of their hat vs an overconfident USC team, but LSU took it to heart and was better physically and more motivated. A bad combination!

It is tough to get up and into that upper level. Look at our football team. I think Moran has the team in a position where we can compete reasonably well with UConn, South Carolina, and Stanford.
Look at our football team?! Coach Moran has built a program that will compete for the Final Four. Our football can't compete with the athletes from Rutgers and Maryland.

I think the performance in Greece says Moren will adapt well to Grace’s departure.

https://www.si.com/college/indiana/...ury-update-greece-indiana-hoosiers-basketball

Scalia Tweeted on Friday that she received "good news," and that she appreciates all the support IU fans had given her over the past week.

Additionally, a source told HoosiersNow.com that, "Sara is going to be okay." While the the team never released specifics on what Scalia's injury might have been, it appears it is nothing major.

Reactions: kkott and kmathum
Holmes having a gimpy knee was a big factor in IU’s fade last season. Also losing at the buzzer to Iowa seemed to suck some of the life out of them.
Caitlin Clark should never have been allowed to touch the ball with 1.5 seconds left. Double team her, don't guard the player inbounding the ball. But I'm not the coach.....

Reactions: IUgradman
Caitlin Clark should never have been allowed to touch the ball with 1.5 seconds left. Double team her, don't guard the player inbounding the ball. But I'm not the coach.....
Hind sight is 20/20 of course but maybe that would have been better. Hard to be worse.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT