ADVERTISEMENT

Media Day Quotes

TomEric4756

All-Big Ten
Sep 20, 2021
Last edited:
https://www.idsnews.com/article/2023/09/indiana-basketball-mike-woodson-big-ten-title

““I don’t want to wait. My clock is ticking,” Woodson said. “I want everything this year.”
Yep, the bottom line, in my opinion, is for Mike to get where he wants the program to be, we've GOT to win more, period! If we're going to recruit with the UNCs, UK, KU and Duke's of the world, we've got to have success like them too. I don't know if this is the team that can get us to the top of the B10 and to an elite 8, but I think we need that soon, or I think CMW will lose some of the momentum he's built with the program and struggle to close out top 50 kids versus those other programs. And of course, NIL has to continue to be on point, but that's an area where IU seems to be solid.

Yep, the bottom line, in my opinion, is for Mike to get where he wants the program to be, we've GOT to win more, period! If we're going to recruit with the UNCs, UK, KU and Duke's of the world, we've got to have success like them too. I don't know if this is the team that can get us to the top of the B10 and to an elite 8, but I think we need that soon, or I think CMW will lose some of the momentum he's built with the program and struggle to close out top 50 kids versus those other programs. And of course, NIL has to continue to be on point, but that's an area where IU seems to be solid.
Yeah, time to show it on the court.

We will be locked in going forward as a top 5 talent team, thanks to our boosters (NIL), but we need to start performing like a top 5 team.

Yeah, time to show it on the court.

We will be locked in going forward as a top 5 talent team, thanks to our boosters (NIL), but we need to start performing like a top 5 team.
Top 5 talent team? You mean, IF we start winning big? I think we're far from a lock to be a top 5 talent team where we are now. I'm not even sure there's a publication that has us in their top 25 this year, and I don't think I've seen us picked higher than 4th in the league. A top 5 talent team would be picked to finish 1st or 2nd in the league and in everyone's top 25.

Top 5 talent team? You mean, IF we start winning big? I think we're far from a lock to be a top 5 talent team where we are now. I'm not even sure there's a publication that has us in their top 25 this year, and I don't think I've seen us picked higher than 4th in the league. A top 5 talent team would be picked to finish 1st or 2nd in the league and in everyone's top 25.
Note: there are many ways to judge talent. Recruiting rankings. Performance, etc., etc.

I am using payroll cost. We are now outbidding teams like KU for players. Now, does that mean that we can’t get beat by a NU, or cannot finish in the middle of the conference pack. No, of course not. But I doubt NU is going to ever have kids making 1-2 million bucks. We should beat them 99 % of the time.

Edit: obviously no one really knows, but I am guessing that there will be fewer than 5 teams nationally getting paid more than IU this year. And it’s going to stay that way.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
I know there are a lot of unknowns with this team, but this team feels like 2002 to me. There IS a lot of talent on this team. However, like 2002, I expect it will take nearly the full year for them to start to gel. I'm not saying we're going final 4 this year, but I wouldn't be shocked either. I just feel like this talent is very close to that level and I also don't expect us to sniff the top 5 most of the year...but I think we can pull it all together by years end.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT