ADVERTISEMENT

SI - Indiana Freshman Jalen-Hood-Schifino Explains Improbable Layup Against Rutgers

he did travel on that play. (3 steps off the dribble).

i remember when traveling and double dribble were a thing.

can't remember where or who, but a few days a ago i heard a former player come right out and admit, that players today travel on almost every play.

nice to know i wasn't the only one who noticed that.

Reactions: jmix and Tscurlo

can't remember where or who, but a few days a ago i heard a former player come right out and admit, that players today travel on almost every play.

I disagree, I don't think he did travel. Paused the video and went frame by frame. His right foot was on the floor when he picked up his dribble, then left foot, right foot and up. In my book that is 2 1/2 steps. No travel.

I disagree, I don't think he did travel. Paused the video and went frame by frame. His right foot was on the floor when he picked up his dribble, then left foot, right foot and up. In my book that is 2 1/2 steps. No travel.

look at it again. 3 steps.

i noticed it live, and went back myself and framed by framed it.

obviously you noticed it live too, or you wouldn't have gone back over it yourself.

people don't think anything of it any,ore, because it's so commonplace, and like i mentioned above, theres traveling on virtually every possession now days.

often multiple travels per possession.

not only do they take 3 steps off the dribble all the time, but when they catch a pass they travel, ie take a couple steps, before they ever put it on the floor to dribble.

only time either gets called, is when they do something that makes it look awkward when doing so.

Last edited:
YEP. Although I did question it at the time (under my breath of course!)

Didn't seem like it to me in real time. And it's okay (smart) to play the way the game is called. Technically, most guys travel (2 foot hop) when they catch the ball on the perimeter. It's never called though.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
Didn't seem like it to me in real time. And it's okay (smart) to play the way the game is called. Technically, most guys travel (2 foot hop) when they catch the ball on the perimeter. It's never called though.

yep, they absolutely do do that 2 foot hop thing all the time when they catch a pass, and like i said above, take a couple steps all the time before they ever put in on the floor to dribble.

Ok. Now how many steps did the Rutgers big boy take on his right baseline drive ?? That had to be 4+

I notice palming and discontinued dribble more and it is literally every possession. It probably does make the game more entertaining but then change the rule . Hand on the side is bad enough but full on underneath and turn the dribble over is a huge advantage.

obviously you noticed it live too, or you wouldn't have gone back over it yourself.

people don't think anything of it any,ore, because it's so commonplace, and like i mentioned above, theres traveling on virtually every possession now days.

not only do they take 3 steps off the dribble all the time, but when they catch a pass, they travel, take a couple steps, before they ever put it on the floor to dribble.

only time either gets called, is when they do something that makes it look awkward when doing so.

I looked VERY closely - frame by frame and it WAS NOT three steps. Right foot down when he picked up his dribble, left, right shoot. That is 2 1/2 steps every day.

The only reason I went back and analyzed it was you saying he took three steps.

Reactions: outside shooter
If you include the Euro change of direction move in your drive you can get away with four or even 4.5 steps.

Reactions: Isisu

I think the rule changed to allow a gather step on those catches. It is allowed on shots.

not only do they take 3 steps off the dribble all the time, but when they catch a pass, they travel, take a couple steps, before they ever put it on the floor to dribble.

Comments here are spot on!!!!

Same things can be said for palming the ball, carrying the ball on cross-overs when just starting to make their moves and last but not least… moving screens!!!!!

It’s called PRO Basketball moves and thats why I dislike college ball now. They’ve moved away from the old school.

Can you imagine today’s college players trying to play ball the way it was back in the 60-70’s?

The refs would be out of breathe from blowing the whistle so much. 😊

Reactions: Crayfish57
Also to add another point…. What about Step Back shooting now.

In old school…. That would be a travel as well. IMHO of course.

I looked VERY closely - frame by frame and it WAS NOT three steps. Right foot down when he picked up his dribble, left, right shoot. That is 2 1/2 steps every day.

obviously you can't count to 3.

i looked at it a couple more times on my DVR and big screen frame by frame, not You Tube, not even close.

freeze frame it when he picks up his dribble.

left foot on floor when he picks up his dribble, then, right left right.

the replay showed it much more clearly than the live shot.

3 steps off the dribble.

Last edited:
His right foot was in the air on the gather, his left foot he then puts down & then it becomes the pivot foot, then he pushed off to jump with the left, put down the right, then the shot is released before the left foot comes back down again. Perfectly legal.

Not a travel. Not now, not 50 years ago, not in HS, college, or pros. It's only called a travel by a bad ref who makes a call when something "looks funny".

What do you think @IUBorden
(a HS ref)

Reactions: T.M.P.
His right foot was in the air on the gather, his left foot he then puts down & then it becomes the pivot foot, then he pushed off to jump with the left, put down the right, then the shot is released before the left foot comes back down again. Perfectly legal.

Not a travel. Not now, not 50 years ago, not in HS, college, or pros. It's only called a travel by a bad ref who makes a call when something "looks funny".

What do you think @IUBorden
(a HS ref)

you're either totally blind, or can't count.

not only do they take 3 steps off the dribble all the time, but when they catch a pass they travel, ie take a couple steps, before they ever put it on the floor to dribble.

I think my high school career was ended because I got called for traveling too much for stepping before dribbling (or maybe just from a lack of talent). I'm not that old but it was called much closer them.

I think my high school career was ended because I got called for traveling too much for stepping before dribbling (or maybe just from a lack of talent). I'm not that old but it was called much closer them.
I tried out for the same 6th grade basketball team with about 80 other boys including a boy named Matt Painter... I ended up having a middling career as a swimmer instead.

Slowed down for all to make their own Judgement.

You be the Judge.

To me it's really close... JHS puts his right foot down, right after the
ball left the floor for the last time. So depending on my interpretation,
that would be step 1, then step 2 with his left foot, then step 3 with his
right foot again... then half with his left foot halfway in the air on the layup.

Last edited:

wont you give me 3 steps
give 3 steps mister I'll be heading for the door.

some old Lynard skynrd song

Reactions: rx7eric and kkott

You be the Judge.

right foot again... then half with his left foot halfway in the air on the layup.

it wasn't a travel because they didn't call travel!

But, looks like 3 steps to me!

Reactions: Tscurlo and speroni

You be the Judge.

That first “step” is actually still part of the dribble. They 100% won’t call that a step. This is a legit basketball move. Imho.

I don't get what a half step is.

Your pivot foot can't leave the floor and come back down again. Simple.

The way I see it, he gathers and the left foot goes down (step 1). That's the pivot foot (left) being established. He steps with the right foot (step 2) and releases before the left came back down (before step 3). There is no such thing as step 2.5. It's 2 steps and legal (the way I see it) or 3 steps and illegal (the only way I see that being plausible is if you see the gather being earlier, such that the right foot became the pivot foot.)

it wasn't a travel because they didn't call travel!

But, looks like 3 steps to me!
haha I currently have the replay showing on the Fox Sports app.... and at 13:00 in the first half, Rutgers Hyatt did that dance from the sideline (in front of IU bench)... across the lane.... and threw up that bank shot that went in. The Refs didn't call that a travel either. LOLOL So I guess they got it right on both ends then. :)

You be the Judge.

the problem with social media is that you get dragged into arguments with people who can't even count to 3, and even when you provide indisputable video evidence, they still won't admit being wrong.

the problem with social media is that you get dragged into arguments with people who can't even count to 3, and even when you provide indisputable video evidence, they still won't admit being wrong.
The evidence isn't clear and don't recall arguing going on. Sorry that everyone doesn't agree with you.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT