ADVERTISEMENT

SI - Confident Miller Kopp Off to Much-Needed Good Start For Hoosiers

rikki-tikka-tava

All-American
Jul 17, 2002
With the way fans talk about him, he is by far my favorite player.
Yeah, I thought he was warranted for some criticism last year, but it seems he put in a ton of work over the summer and is now doing what most have complained about (shoot better!), and now folks have other complaints! I've always thought he's shown he can do more than just be a spot up shooter on offense so I hope he continues to be more aggressive and do what CMW is asking. Right now I think Race would be in more danger of losing a starting spot, but for the sake of team unity and chemistry, I don't think we'll see a change to the starting lineup, and I think CMW will just adjust the minutes distribution based on who he feels is playing the best. I think who ends the game is more telling about who CMW thinks is playing well right now!

There was an article on this on MSN yesterday, and it showed him against Miami of Ohio, again doing that stupid tongue wagging shit. The team will be better when that kind of stupidity is in the rear view mirror.

“Through four games, he is 9-for-17 from three-point range, an impressive 52.9 percent clip that is tops in the Big Ten through the first two weeks”

(Bolding is mine)

And yet, I hear people complaining that he is missing shots.
It sounds a little odd saying it, but Miller is currently our "3 and D" guy. That role is becoming more and more valuable in high level basketball. The guys that are elite athletically, that can guard multiple positions, and make open 3s, are all being coveted by NBA GMs. Obviously Miller isn't THAT type of 3 and D guy, so its strange to label him that way in todays day and age. But for our team, those are his roles.

Miller is reliable, and solid in that role for us. He's not a game changer, like someone like Jordan could be. But he's also not going to blow assignments, and leave TJD more vulnerable on the back end. He's also not likely going to turn the ball over much.

Miller covers up for, and compliments our two most important players very well. He's integral to our success this year.

But others are too. We absolutely need a couple guys like Tamar, CJ, Jordan, Trey, etc... to step up and provide what they're able to provide too.

Kopp is entertaining. the chicken/banana was classic

and if he keeps dropping the 3's, even better

It sounds a little odd saying it, but Miller is currently our "3 and D" guy. That role is becoming more and more valuable in high level basketball. The guys that are elite athletically, that can guard multiple positions, and make open 3s, are all being coveted by NBA GMs. Obviously Miller isn't THAT type of 3 and D guy, so its strange to label him that way in todays day and age. But for our team, those are his roles.

Miller is reliable, and solid in that role for us. He's not a game changer, like someone like Jordan could be. But he's also not going to blow assignments, and leave TJD more vulnerable on the back end. He's also not likely going to turn the ball over much.

Miller covers up for, and compliments our two most important players very well. He's integral to our success this year.

But others are too. We absolutely need a couple guys like Tamar, CJ, Jordan, Trey, etc... to step up and provide what they're able to provide too.
People are always complaining. They complain about coach Woodson. there are some unhappy ppl out there. They r never satisfied

Reactions: kkott and speroni
Kopps been shooting well in transition but the more I think about it, his ability to get a board and start transition or push a break is pretty much a black hole for IUs ability to get quick hitting transition buckets.

I don't see the point of Race walking over to a made opponent bucket to toss it in either. Why isn't Kopp or whomever closest to the ball throwing it in quick to put pressure on the opponents transition D??

If it's not there in transition, surely Woody trusts X, JHS, Bates, and Trey to pull it out and setup the half court offense.

Kopps been shooting well in transition but the more I think about it, his ability to get a board and start transition or push a break is pretty much a black hole for IUs ability to get quick hitting transition buckets.

I don't see the point of Race walking over to a made opponent bucket to toss it in either. Why isn't Kopp or whomever closest to the ball throwing it in quick to put pressure on the opponents transition D??

If it's not there in transition, surely Woody trusts X, JHS, Bates, and Trey to pull it out and setup the half court offense.
Rebounding is not Kopp’s job and he doesn’t get many. Not sure why you are worried about him not grabbing a rebound and starting the break. I would think that issue would lie more with the players who do get rebounds…

Reactions: kkott
Rebounding is not Kopp’s job and he doesn’t get many. Not sure why you are worried about him not grabbing a rebound and starting the break. I would think that issue would lie more with the players who do get rebounds…
Kopp also hit transition 3’s on the secondary break. Makes the defense choose who to guard. Galloway may now be a threat in the same way and throw in Cavs version of Bates. Jury is still out on him. Kopp has his job and it’s not utility stuff. I will ask this question to everyone. Who replaces Kopp that will do what he does? Not what he doesn’t. Not one guy on this team does what he does. Plenty do things he doesn’t. I also need to point out those others would clog the lane. I’m willing to bet you won’t see many instances with TJD, Malik, JG and Thompson together. Kopp, Galloway and Tamar will be the extra guard/forward.

Kopp also hit transition 3’s on the secondary break. Makes the defense choose who to guard. Galloway may now be a threat in the same way and throw in Cavs version of Bates. Jury is still out on him. Kopp has his job and it’s not utility stuff. I will ask this question to everyone. Who replaces Kopp that will do what he does? Not what he doesn’t. Not one guy on this team does what he does. Plenty do things he doesn’t. I also need to point out those others would clog the lane. I’m willing to bet you won’t see many instances with TJD, Malik, JG and Thompson together. Kopp, Galloway and Tamar will be the extra guard/forward.
Completely agree. Not sure why you need Kopp to rebound or assist when he is on the court with two PGs and two bigs.

Shooting 53% from three over four games. He's doing OK. ;)
Percentage doesn't matter as much as makes per game ... he needs to be over 2 per game on average to be impactful and he currently is.

What IU as a team needs to do is to get him to average around 6 attempts per game ... while still shooting over 37/38%. Currently at around 4 ..

Percentage doesn't matter as much as makes per game ... he needs to be over 2 per game on average to be impactful and he currently is.

What IU as a team needs to do is to get him to average around 6 attempts per game ... while still shooting over 37/38%. Currently at around 4 ..
And the rest need to step up too. Would be nice if they hit 7-8 a game at 36-38% clip.

lets see how he does when the competition gets a little bit stiffer
Well pretty sure I will still take it since the alternatives are all shooting 30% or less currently against the same competition as Kopp.

Exactly, we don't have a great rebounder on the front line; we have 3! And, guards who rebound. Kopp is the only person on the team who is a true spot up shooter. Hard to make a 3 and stretch the defense if you're in the paint for a rebound you're probably not getting anyway with the frontcourt we have. Kopp is doing exactly what the coaches want, and what this board has complained about for 2 years and now we have more complaints when right now, he's doing it better than anyone else in the Big 10! He complements the starting five and is doing what he needs and what benefits those guys the most right now. Ride that horse while you can, develop the 2nd five and if Bates or Gunn prove they need more minutes, then CMW will do that.

Last edited:
The thing to do is not debate whether Kopp is a good shooter/floor spacer or not. I don't see it and think he should come off the bench, because he is not a good enough shooter to warrant the minutes

Others, like me, think there are more talented players on the bench now that need time so we can be something come March. This needs to be very closely monitored by the coaching staff, because if we are going with Kopp in the starting lineup, that is a liability come March. If that's what we got, xo be it, but I don't think it is and will hurt us in advancing if he gets so many minutes. Maybe we don't need three point shooting and more baxkdoor cuts and ally oops, maybe should be coaching around matchups and the talent and roster we have and work with that. There is no Steve Kerr on this team that is going to open up the paint consistently, so adapt

There is no Steve Kerr on this team that is going to open up the paint consistently, so adapt
But, through 4 games, there is: Miller Kopp. He's shooting better than 50% and leading the team in attempts (read the article!). We don't need more back cuts and alleyoops from the starting lineup, because we already have 2 post players, so that would just gum up the lane further and without a true 3 pt threat, also allows another defender to cheat and help on TJD. That's why CMW has stuck with the platoon system: Miller helps spread the floor with the starting group and then the 2nd unit has more athletic players and posts (MR and JG) who can step out so there are open driving lanes. Intentional or not, it's a pretty interesting approach because it maximizes what is our most limited skillset: shooting! He's playing pick your poison between TJD and MK, and if you relegate MK to the 2nd unit, he isn't as confident his replacement at the 3 would stretch the floor. The simple solution is for TG, TB or CJG to prove they can hit 3s at a high clip, but for the moment, this is a sensible approach and it's working. March is a long way away and I am confident if one of those guys shows they are as good or better at shooting 3s than MK, they'll see an uptick in minutes.

The thing to do is not debate whether Kopp is a good shooter/floor spacer or not. I don't see it and think he should come off the bench, because he is not a good enough shooter to warrant the minutes

Others, like me, think there are more talented players on the bench now that need time so we can be something come March. This needs to be very closely monitored by the coaching staff, because if we are going with Kopp in the starting lineup, that is a liability come March. If that's what we got, xo be it, but I don't think it is and will hurt us in advancing if he gets so many minutes. Maybe we don't need three point shooting and more baxkdoor cuts and ally oops, maybe should be coaching around matchups and the talent and roster we have and work with that. There is no Steve Kerr on this team that is going to open up the paint consistently, so adapt
Who should replace Kopp in the starting lineup and why?

There was an article on this on MSN yesterday, and it showed him against Miami of Ohio, again doing that stupid tongue wagging shit. The team will be better when that kind of stupidity is in the rear view mirror.
So you don't like the players showing thier tongues? Or you just don't like MK's tounge?

Exactly, we don't have a great rebounder on the front line; we have 3! And, guards who rebound. Kopp is the only person on the team who is a true spot up shooter. Hard to make a 3 and stretch the defense if you're in the paint for a rebound you're probably not getting anyway with the frontcourt we have. Kopp is doing exactly what the coaches want, and what this board has complained about for 2 years and now we have more complaints when right now, he's doing it better than anyone else in the Big 10! He complements the starting five and is doing what he needs and what benefits those guys the most right now. Ride that horse while you can, develop the 2nd five and if Bates or Gunn prove they need more minutes, then CMW will do that.
I've never been a fan.

I don't expect him to get many offensive rebounds. My problem is he doesn't get defensive rebounds either.

This year he has 4 rebounds in 87 minutes of play. That is pathetic. For his career he averages 3.9 rebounds for every 40M played, which is very poor imo. These are hidden extra possessions for our opponents that his fans don't acknowledge.

This year so far he's hitting almost 53% of his 3s; however, for his career he's at .366. That is not my definition of a lights out 3 point shooter. I expect his % to decline as the year progresses......water finds its level.

When he's on the floor, the other teams very frequently target him defensively.......more than any other single player that gets lots of minutes. Why is that?

Finally, he's nothing special as a ball handler. For his career, he has slightly more TOs than assists.

But, through 4 games, there is: Miller Kopp. He's shooting better than 50% and leading the team in attempts (read the article!). We don't need more back cuts and alleyoops from the starting lineup, because we already have 2 post players, so that would just gum up the lane further and without a true 3 pt threat, also allows another defender to cheat and help on TJD. That's why CMW has stuck with the platoon system: Miller helps spread the floor with the starting group and then the 2nd unit has more athletic players and posts (MR and JG) who can step out so there are open driving lanes. Intentional or not, it's a pretty interesting approach because it maximizes what is our most limited skillset: shooting! He's playing pick your poison between TJD and MK, and if you relegate MK to the 2nd unit, he isn't as confident his replacement at the 3 would stretch the floor. The simple solution is for TG, TB or CJG to prove they can hit 3s at a high clip, but for the moment, this is a sensible approach and it's working. March is a long way away and I am confident if one of those guys shows they are as good or better at shooting 3s than MK, they'll see an uptick in minutes.
He's shooting better than 53% on 3s; he's shooting .333 on 2s. For his career he is less than 35% on 2s. The only 2 point shots he should ever shoot are pull up jumpers after shot fakes. He should never take the ball within 8 feet of the basket.

I've never been a fan.

I don't expect him to get many offensive rebounds. My problem is he doesn't get defensive rebounds either.

This year he has 4 rebounds in 87 minutes of play. That is pathetic. For his career he averages 3.9 rebounds for every 40M played, which is very poor imo. These are hidden extra possessions for our opponents that his fans don't acknowledge.

This year so far he's hitting almost 53% of his 3s; however, for his career he's at .366. That is not my definition of a lights out 3 point shooter. I expect his % to decline as the year progresses......water finds its level.

When he's on the floor, the other teams very frequently target him defensively.......more than any other single player that gets lots of minutes. Why is that?

Finally, he's nothing special as a ball handler. For his career, he has slightly more TOs than assists.
Kopps job isn’t defensive rebounds its to beat it up the floor to make the transition defenders choose between him and the post. He’s hurt a few with transition 3s too. He’s the secondary break shooter. X does this too.

Reactions: Cutter1973

You also shouldn’t debate whether those guys are better spacing the floor because they aren’t..yet. We don’t need much more shooting. Just enough. 7-8 made threes is sufficient. Kopp is doing his job so far.

Yeah, I thought he was warranted for some criticism last year, but it seems he put in a ton of work over the summer and is now doing what most have complained about (shoot better!), and now folks have other complaints! I've always thought he's shown he can do more than just be a spot up shooter on offense so I hope he continues to be more aggressive and do what CMW is asking. Right now I think Race would be in more danger of losing a starting spot, but for the sake of team unity and chemistry, I don't think we'll see a change to the starting lineup, and I think CMW will just adjust the minutes distribution based on who he feels is playing the best. I think who ends the game is more telling about who CMW thinks is playing well right now!
I agree.
Regarding Miller I have no doubt he is doing things that are not seen by the casual fan but are seen by the coaches. He stays as a starter.
Regarding Race, I think he stays the starter with Malik getting more and more bench minutes over time.

It all comes down to the tongue wagging shit to me, if that is not enough to dislike him when he doesn't play well ever, I don't know what is. It is just not that kind of attitude we need on this team. He needs to get real and realize he's not going pro to anywhere, so stop with the social media shit and play, or don't play

So you don't like the players showing thier tongues? Or you just don't like MK's tounge?
Yeah, I don't like it when you agitate like MJ, but you aren't even 1/10th of that and can't back it up. His time here is gross, wish he would have just graduated.

You also shouldn’t debate whether those guys are better spacing the floor because they aren’t..yet. We don’t need much more shooting. Just enough. 7-8 made threes is sufficient. Kopp is doing his job so far.
i wasn't at all claiming we need more floor spacing, I said, maybe we don't need it at all

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT