ADVERTISEMENT

Should we reopen our embassy?

TheOriginalHappyGoat

Oct 4, 2010
Margaritaville
Obviously, none of us who lack the actual intelligence related to the situation can answer this with any sort of authority, but the Taliban has asked us to maintain a diplomatic presence in the country, and we currently don't have plans to do so (we are "discussing" it with allies, and presumably internally). The lack of a plan right now for staying means that it's very likely that our entire diplomatic mission to Afghanistan will leave Tuesday, at least temporarily. But considering two things - first, that we have a common enemy with the Taliban, and second, that we are unlikely to get everyone out who we want out by Tuesday - should we be making maintaining a diplomatic presence a priority?

Obviously, none of us who lack the actual intelligence related to the situation can answer this with any sort of authority, but the Taliban has asked us to maintain a diplomatic presence in the country, and we currently don't have plans to do so (we are "discussing" it with allies, and presumably internally). The lack of a plan right now for staying means that it's very likely that our entire diplomatic mission to Afghanistan will leave Tuesday, at least temporarily. But considering two things - first, that we have a common enemy with the Taliban, and second, that we are unlikely to get everyone out who we want out by Tuesday - should we be making maintaining a diplomatic presence a priority?
Leave until the civil war is over. The Taliban or ISIS will fight it out. If the Taliban wins, go back on a trial basis.

Reactions: UncleMark
Leave until the civil war is over. The Taliban or ISIS will fight it out. If the Taliban wins, go back on a trial basis.
I don't think ISIS is a threat to the Taliban's control of the country. They are more likely to remain a terrorist threat for some time.

The Panjshir valley fighters are more likely to be the ones preventing a complete Taliban takeover.

I don't think ISIS is a threat to the Taliban's control of the country. They are more likely to remain a terrorist threat for some time.

The Panjshir valley fighters are more likely to be the ones preventing a complete Taliban takeover.
The point is that there are numerous threats, and many of them would love to kill Americans. Until some real control happens, we stay out.

But overall we have embassies in bad places. I am not sure the Taliban is that much worse than Russia or China.

The point is that there are numerous threats, and many of them would love to kill Americans. Until some real control happens, we stay out.

But overall we have embassies in bad places. I am not sure the Taliban is that much worse than Russia or China.
Serious, if very ignorant, question: in today's day and age, with our current tech, why do we even need embassies?

I would think our embassy staff in Afghanistan would be in much more danger than those in China or Russia.

Serious, if very ignorant, question: in today's day and age, with our current tech, why do we even need embassies?

I would think our embassy staff in Afghanistan would be in much more danger than those in China or Russia.

Part of it is optics. Having an embassy shows recognition.

Part of it is connection. By being there we interact with Afghans. It makes it far easier to have some knowledge of what is going on.

Yes, there is some danger, I was more implying that China and Russia are also bad actors than danger. But I am not afraid of the Taliban. The Taliban largely wants to turn Afghanistan into an Islamic state and that is all. That is why ISIS hates them, or a main reason, ISIS wants to turn the world into an Islamic state. So long as we are not occupying Afghanistan, the Taliban has little reason to kill Americans.

But there are two Talibans. One sees Afghanistan as part of the world community, one does not. Depending on battles to come, we may see the Afghanistan First group win and they may not be welcoming enough to warrant the risk. We would just have to see how xenophobic they are.

But we have embassies in Saudi and Pakistan, both containing large segments of population who want to kill Americans. We can do it in Afghanistan as long as the central government wants us there.

LOL.

Part of it is optics. Having an embassy shows recognition.

Part of it is connection. By being there we interact with Afghans. It makes it far easier to have some knowledge of what is going on.

Yes, there is some danger, I was more implying that China and Russia are also bad actors than danger. But I am not afraid of the Taliban. The Taliban largely wants to turn Afghanistan into an Islamic state and that is all. That is why ISIS hates them, or a main reason, ISIS wants to turn the world into an Islamic state. So long as we are not occupying Afghanistan, the Taliban has little reason to kill Americans.

But there are two Talibans. One sees Afghanistan as part of the world community, one does not. Depending on battles to come, we may see the Afghanistan First group win and they may not be welcoming enough to warrant the risk. We would just have to see how xenophobic they are.

But we have embassies in Saudi and Pakistan, both containing large segments of population who want to kill Americans. We can do it in Afghanistan as long as the central government wants us there.
Did you read the Kite Runner?

Given the enormous economy around poppy fields and illegal drug trade, and their modus operandi, I would compare the Taliban to the Sinaloa Cartel, not to China or Russia.

Last edited:
Did you read the Kite Runner?

Given the enormous economy around poppy fields and illegal drug trade, and their modus operandi, I would compare the Taliban to the Sinaloa Cartel, not to China or Russia.
Compare them to whomever you want. We have had embassies in mighty bad places. We have a diplomatic mission in Pakistan, who do you think is funding the Taliban? We have diplomatic missions in Saudi Arabia, who do you think is the home to Wahabbi beliefs?

The Taliban wants help from the UN and the World Bank. Strings on poppy growth can be part of such assistance.

Do you have a point.

We have an embassy in Pakistan. Pakistan is the big brother to the Taliban. In what universe does it make sense to block out Afghanistan but have relations with, and send aid to, Pakistan?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT