ADVERTISEMENT

Shit is wild. Pay for play.

He could flame out and be a cautionary tale for every other program. They have 5 or 6 new dudes on that squad too.
Miami has money, but bball doesn’t matter. Bball matters at IU. Hoosiers for good is gonna get a lot of large donations. They will start giving out a million to a player with in a few years. Guarantee it.

Miami has money, but bball doesn’t matter. Bball matters at IU. Hoosiers for good is gonna get a lot of large donations. They will start giving out a million to a player with in a few years. Guarantee it.
Miami is going to be funded pretty well in basketball. That one booster is obviously a basketball fan, and he’s shown the willingness to dish out a ton. He has a $20+ billion net worth so it’s a drop in the bucket

Reactions: brianiu
Miami is going to be funded pretty well in basketball. That one booster is obviously a basketball fan, and he’s shown the willingness to dish out a ton. He has a $20+ billion net worth so it’s a drop in the bucket
Ya I didn’t know about a 20 billion guy, who is this?

Well that will do it. Miami will start getting players. How didn’t they get Malik??? From there.
I think we are going to be pretty big players in NIL, but we aren’t going to have a single donor like that.

Cheaper than $10MM for a new coach. I'm guessing that in four years I will loath college basketball.
Will you loathe the off court stuff or the on court games?

The NIL is actually keeping pretty good guys in college. Prior to this, kids were considering G league or Europe or hoping to be a free agent if they didn’t get drafted. Now, more kids will be playing in the NCAA and should make the teams stronger.

I personally love that he chose a non-traditional program. Certainly helps them get better.

on the court, this should help college b-ball as the talent pool is bigger and retained. Off the court, it’s free agency … but was it before too?

my only current complaint is the portal. And it’s complicated to try and fix it. A lot of scenarios. But they could start with some general parameters.

Last edited:
Reactions: JB_Nomee
The NIL is actually keeping pretty good guys in college. Prior to this, kids were considering G league or Europe or hoping to be a free agent if they didn’t get drafted. Now, more kids will be playing in the NCAA and should make the teams stronger.
I never thought about the possibility of the NIL keeping the good players in college, which makes the college game better. I always thought it would take the NBA adopting the MLB college baseball rule. NIL deals can be better than Europe, the G-League, or even going later in the draft.

The NCAA is weird. So many adults earn their living from college sports, and college sports generate so much revenue (advertising, merchandise, ticket sales, etc.). Unpaid college students were generating all of this wealth and kind of being used. I can't get mad at college athletes for getting paid after adults use them to earn money. Hell, college students in general get used by so many adults for money: it is kind of messed up.

Last edited:
I bet IU will give them2 checks. One for the irs one for them.
Hell why not buy the kids stock? Then in a year they cash it out and just pay capital gains. 🤣 How awesome would it be for a financial company to market that.

Will 100% happen
It will be interesting to watch this develop. Having a swiss army knife like Glass involved would really change the game with the combination of law, fundraising, global connections in sports, business and politics and understanding of big time NCAA process.

IU brought in high end consultants to discuss the rules and opportunities with both the athletes and the AD staffs. Really glad they got out ahead of this and are working to do this the right way.

Crazy times.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
It will be interesting to watch this develop. Having a swiss army knife like Glass involved would really change the game with the combination of law, fundraising, global connections in sports, business and politics and understanding of big time NCAA process.

IU brought in high end consultants to discuss the rules and opportunities with both the athletes and the AD staffs. Really glad they got out ahead of this and are working to do this the right way.

Crazy times.
The nil portal sight is so easy to navigate. Not sure what everyone else is doing.

Reactions: Courtsensetwo
So……. If….. or When……. They ever come out and expose any illegal corruption in the NIL dealings….. as usual…. IU will be the first to self report any players that are involved…. Whereas UNC, Kansas, Duke, Kentucky and all the others will keep their mouths shut and protect their players.

(Disclaimer: half way serious and half way sarcasm here)

So……. If….. or When……. They ever come out and expose any illegal corruption in the NIL dealings….. as usual…. IU will be the first to self report any players that are involved…. Whereas UNC, Kansas, Duke, Kentucky and all the others will keep their mouths shut and protect their players.

(Disclaimer: half way serious and half way sarcasm here)
Nothing illegal anymore tho. All legit. You have law firms (glass and IU) leading the charge. It’s all on the table now, but gonna take time for people to understand it isn’t cheating. Everything Miami did was legal.

Nothing illegal anymore tho. All legit. You have law firms (glass and IU) leading the charge. It’s all on the table now, but gonna take time for people to understand it isn’t cheating. Everything Miami did was legal.
So will these agreements be guaranteed? What if the player gets in bad trouble?

the real question is who should I make the cavanaghs corner rep for next year.

I wouldn’t say it’s ALL legal and still think there is some gray area. NCAA rules indicate that NIL deals can’t be contingent on committing to a particular school. Now I think there are ways NIL contracts can be structured to gets around that to a certain degree, but if places get careless or try to push the boundaries too much, there is still a lot of potential for violations

Reactions: Tscurlo
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT