ADVERTISEMENT

Seriously????

bsmitty08

Hall of Famer
Mar 1, 2004
Q - Why did you play Stan (Robinson) over James (Blackmon Jr.) to start the second half?

Did you see the first half? Defensively? Who did you think was doing the best job against A.J. Hammons? I thought it was Stan, so that's what we did.

I thought that was an interesting answer when I heard it. The sad thing is, it was true. Still no reason to start him the 2nd half. Hammons wasn't hurting IU offensively....they were too busy driving for layup to look for the big man in the middle. Only 6 shots between Hammon and Haas were taken.

Still. points in the paint are points in the paint. My guess is they could of passed the ball into the post and made that work also.

Couple things...Hammons only had 11 points. He was killing us on defense with 8 blocks. Secondly why is our 2 guards guarding a 7 footer?

Besides the defense...

I was ticked at JB Jr for that half a-- pass to Yogi which turned into a layup for them to end first half. We had the ball down 8 with 40 seconds to go. Best case scenario we are down 5. Worst case down 8. Instead they are up 11.

I thought the benching was more about his pass compared to defense.

Re: Besides the defense...

I agree that JBJ didn't play well but his answer was not why JBJ should have been benched.

Re: lol

Hate to tell you this but he isn't going anywhere till at least the end of next year.

I don't disagree with you

Still doesn't mean I can' take much more of him. His act is old.

I've NEVER been able to make much sense of his press conferences.

He speaks unlike any other coach i've ever listened to and rarely makes much sense. CTC doesn't strike me as a "quick thinker" either during the game or during a press conference where he doesn't know what questions are coming at him.

I was hoping his recruiting would bail him out of some of his coaching shortcomings...but having no big men is killing that hope as well.

If you have to play small ball, you need to have a bunch of savage pit bulls on the defensive end. Matador defense isn't going to cut it against the big boys.

Two things about JB Jr.

1. He looked like a deer in headlights at both Michigan State and Purdue.

2. He doesn't strike me as the type of kid who wants to get dirty. Gotta be a junkyard dog when you play at Purdue.

This post was edited on 1/29 2:58 PM by IUfanINsandiego

When I first noticed that Robinson was guarding Hammons, it was after both Hartman and Holt had picked up too many fouls at whatever point in the game it was. I wondered who was left on the bench to guard Hammons, and lo and behold, it turned out to be Robinson. I was happy to see that Robinson actually took interest in this assignment, shoving back when Hammons pushed him, constantly trying to front Hammons no matter what Hammons did etc.

Robinson ended up with 3 rebounds, 4 points, 2 assists, 0 turnovers, in only 15 minutes, despite a very difficult defensive assignment. I assume you are not criticizing Robinson. If so, he doesn't deserve it.

Robinson's effort to guard Hammons is why he started the second half. Blackmon had several stupid turnovers from ill-advised passes and at least one stupid incident of bad dribbling.

I saw several players on both teams slip on the Mackey Arena floor and wondered if anyone heard anything about condensation, thrown drinks, perspiration etc. creating slippery floor conditions.

Didn't Robinson start the second half ? If I'm right about that, then the answer to your question is that Crean wanted someone to challenge Hammons, because it was obvious (at least to me) that neither Hartman not Holt were able to do it last night. Given our injuries, no one else was available. It reminds me of that game 3-4 years ago when Sheehey ended up guarding a point guard we couldn't handle and, after the game, Crean said Sheehey was the only one who volunteered to stop him. Given our injuries, I've got no problem letting Robinson have a shot at guarding Hammons if he wanted to try it.

If Robinson comes in, then someone has to come out, and Blackmon was a worthy candidate NOT to start the second half based on his first half performance IMHO.

By the way, Hammons is the softest, laziest Purdue-center-who-looks-like-a-center since Joe Baby Carroll. Sheffler and Rowinski would break him in half. Hammons will likely have a successful career playing ball in Greece or Turkey or France or Israel after he leaves Purdue.

He should have brought in a walkon then you could

bitch about that. Hammons had a 11 pts ,how many did he get with SR on him?

That's fine but Hammons absolutely dominated IU at the defensive end. I would love to have someone so lazy on our team! dws

Re: He should have brought in a walkon then you could

Hammons wasn't killing us on offense he was killing us with his defense. That is why I am surprised by Creans comments and also to be mad at JBR cause he couldn't guard a 7 footer is stupid. How about positioning your kids to succeed not fail.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT