ADVERTISEMENT

SCOTUS Colorado

He said sometimes a big movie will come out and he’ll send a lead actor a letter

Dearest Anthony,

Had a chance to catch The Holdovers. Thought it was okay.

Wishing you the best,

Brad
Dear Stoll,

I'm glad you opened my unmarked envelope. I hope this letter finds you well.

Do you have any hot, young Amish women who would like to move to St. Louis (wait, don't tell them that; say Clayton!) and raise two children?

Hope retirement treats you well,

Your captain, McMurt

Under Messi's name.
The studio group for champions league is awesome. Really funny former players. Carragher, Henry, Richards. Think Barkley Shaq smith. That vibe. One day they were all talking about Messi and the host lady asked if anyone in the group ever got a text from Messi. And of course Henry played at Barca with him and said yes and the other guy said no and carragher who played at Liverpool was in tears laughing. He said I have one text from Messi and I have kept it for years. It was just one word

Burro.

🤣🤣🤣🤣

I have read the opinion.

Colorado’s Supreme Court should now be disbanded for violating their oaths. And their law schools should retract their degrees. And the bar association should revoke their licenses.

They have no loyalty to the law. They are pinhead partisans who will subvert it at any given instant.

I have read the opinion.

Colorado’s Supreme Court should now be disbanded for violating their oaths. And their law schools should retract their degrees. And the bar association should revoke their licenses.

They have no loyalty to the law. They are pinhead partisans who will subvert it at any given instant.
Once one proves that they will use their position of power for personal political will (read $$$), they should be forced into fast food service for the rest of their natural lives.

• Haha
Reactions: dr.jb and DANC
It’s so easy now for people to get lost in a feedback loop. Take myself, I always assume everyone knows about Bitcoin, but reality is 99% of people don’t think about it at all. I’m not sure what the answer is to the constant stream of information we get now.
Bitcoin. Wow! Killing it!!

Reactions: snarlcakes
No one with any sense thought Trump would lose the ballot question. The only questions I saw raised were what rationale would be used. They took the quickest, simplest out they could. The "insurrection" question was never addressed.
Because no one was ever convicted or criminally accused of "insurrection".

I have read the opinion.

I've read - but not verified - that the 4 Colorado justices that ruled for banning Trump were all Ivy League grads. The 3 who voted against went to law school in Colorado.

It wouldn't surprise me a bit.

Dear Stoll,

I'm glad you opened my unmarked envelope. I hope this letter finds you well.

Do you have any hot, young Amish women who would like to move to St. Louis (wait, don't tell them that; say Clayton!) and raise two children?

Hope retirement treats you well,

Your captain, McMurt
@mcmurtry66

You’re invited to the Daviess and Martin County “Amish Crowd” on the Sunday Night of your choice.

I have read the opinion.

I liked the opinion’s “Federalism“ approach (as reported) that no state agency (official) or court had the authority to make such a decision … This seems like a clear and operable precedent for the rest of the cases brought in state courts. Dana Bash, I would have expected to know better. (Than to have expected Colorado should have won). The notion that courts should return decisions in line with political points of view … is the antithesis of the rule of law.

Last edited:
Reactions: DANC
The court ruled as they had to. I get why we don't want states making this decision. But I am not a huge "federalism above all" person. One board member likes to say we have no national elections. Since most of us agree states have no right to determine if someone can be removed, haven't we nationalized the election of President? If I were a big believer in state's rights, maybe the ruling would bother me. How do state's rights people square this circle?
My lay opinion would be that once the Federal Constitution created the 14th amendment with the states assent, they ceded the authority to regulate the qualification of Federal Election candidate under the ”legal standards” in the 14th amendment.

Reactions: DANC
The 14th Amendment specifically says it shall be enforced by Congress:

Section 5.
The Congress shall have power to enforce, by appropriate legislation, the provisions of this article.

Just trying to get a handle on the legal theory. This article, as well as the first to propose blocking Trump, suggests the Constitution is self-enforcing. No one needs congress to pass a law giving free speech, or block self-incrimination. If a state sees that someone has been forced to testify against themselves, the state can block it.

Now in theory I see why maybe the drafters didn't trust South Carolina to block a rebel. But overall her point seems a little validated, what value is the amendment when Congress already reserves the right to not seat anyone it finds violates the constitution. Back at that time the power was broader, the court reduced said power in the 60s. In 1868, it was assumed congress could refuse to seat for any reason.

Gold hit all-time high of $2124.00 oz .

Commodities market likes the Supreme's decision.

Well, this seems to be the news of the day so far this morning. I don’t like Olbermann there is nothing of value there. This just goes to show what a whacked out msm can do to people. It’s pretty sad that this happens due to control and manipulation of the airwaves. TDS is real and it’s brought to you by the msm. They have created such hate and division. I could probably play a round of golf with Trump but knowing me by the end of the round he would be pissed as hell as I would not tolerate his drivel. That said we would part friends. I hope Keith and the rest of the haters come to terms with themselves. I would have loved to have seen the 45th president getting asked normal questions from the msm about what he is going to do about this or that in the world instead of getting constantly attacked about a made up Russia dialogue. If we took away reporters things might get back to normal. Imagine a world where we cancelled the news for two weeks. There might actually be peace.

Just trying to get a handle on the legal theory. This article, as well as the first to propose blocking Trump, suggests the Constitution is self-enforcing. No one needs congress to pass a law giving free speech, or block self-incrimination. If a state sees that someone has been forced to testify against themselves, the state can block it.

Now in theory I see why maybe the drafters didn't trust South Carolina to block a rebel. But overall her point seems a little validated, what value is the amendment when Congress already reserves the right to not seat anyone it finds violates the constitution. Back at that time the power was broader, the court reduced said power in the 60s. In 1868, it was assumed congress could refuse to seat for any reason.
Off the top of my head, the presidency isn’t a seat in Congress. That argument ignores section 5 and common sense as I’ve repeated written here before. And it wouldn’t be feasible to do it the Colorado way, nationwide.

Luttig’s reaction:

https://thehill.com/regulation/cour...ig-reacts-to-supreme-court-colorado-decision/Judge Luttig reacts to Supreme Court Colorado decision

He’s dead wrong that the courts decision means no one could ever be disqualified. There is a federal insurrection statute on the books, passed by Congress, that disqualifies those found guilty under it from holding office.
Brad Stevens, Esq.

It is your great honor to receive this invitation to serve as Visiting Professor of Law at COH University. Your legal analysis regarding the actions of the Colorado Supreme Court have caught the attention of both the Dean of our distinguished law school and provost. As you well know, accepting the invitation of Visiting Professor is the only pathway to becoming a professor at COH U. We do not post openings. We only poach the best. What's more, and as I'm sure you are aware, we do not offer tenure. At COH U you earn it, every day, every month, and every year. Last year we fired 76% of our faculty. It's why we we're the best....

This offer will expire on March 5, 2024 at noon.

Yours,

@CO. Hoosier

Off the top of my head, the presidency isn’t a seat in Congress. That argument ignores section 5 and common sense as I’ve repeated written here before. And it wouldn’t be feasible to do it the Colorado way, nationwide.

I should be more clear, they ruled this extended to all federal elections. So I am not thinking President.

@mcmurtry66

You’re invited to the Daviess and Martin County “Amish Crowd” on the Sunday Night of your choice.
Don't go down this Thursday unless you have special sunglasses, the eclipse is a full on eclipse for Daviess County. I hear businesses are shutting down and schools closing?

I'm buying a nice bottle of whiskey and enjoying a drink tonight. Cheers to the Texan.
Its Happening Ron Paul GIF

The 14th Amendment specifically says it shall be enforced by Congress:

Section 5.
The Congress shall have power to enforce, by appropriate legislation, the provisions of this article.
Thinking about it, aren't there a lot of cases decided on section 1 without congressional action? Is congress required to pass legislation to spell out section 1 because of section 5?

I think they have it right, for the wrong reason. And answering a question not asked, applying it to other offices, seems unusual to this non lawyer.

Reactions: UncleMark
Thinking about it, aren't there a lot of cases decided on section 1 without congressional action? Is congress required to pass legislation to spell out section 1 because of section 5?

I think they have it right, for the wrong reason. And answering a question not asked, applying it to other offices, seems unusual to this non lawyer.
Section 5 gives the feds power that actually goes beyond the minimum required of the states by the other sections. So, for example, the amendment itself does not require all the provisions of the Voting Rights Act, but section 5 gives Congress the authority to enact them.

That doesn't justify the court's reading in this case, though. I can't recall any other case in which the court ruled that an enforcement clause prevented the states from enforcing things on their own.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian

There is enabling legislation for Section 1.

There is enabling legislation for Section 1.
So the words below only mean these rights exist if congress says so? if the VRA were repealed, it would be legal to block groups from voting and there is no recourse to this amendment?

All citizens of the United States who are otherwise qualified by law to vote at any election by the people in any State, Territory, district, county, city, parish, township, school district, municipality, or other territorial subdivision, shall be entitled and allowed to vote at all such elections, without distinction of race, color, or previous condition of servitude; any constitution, law, custom, usage, or regulation of any State or Territory, or by or under its authority, to the contrary notwithstanding.

Well, this seems to be the news of the day so far this morning. I don’t like Olbermann there is nothing of value there. This just goes to show what a whacked out msm can do to people. It’s pretty sad that this happens due to control and manipulation of the airwaves. TDS is real and it’s brought to you by the msm. They have created such hate and division. I could probably play a round of golf with Trump but knowing me by the end of the round he would be pissed as hell as I would not tolerate his drivel. That said we would part friends. I hope Keith and the rest of the haters come to terms with themselves. I would have loved to have seen the 45th president getting asked normal questions from the msm about what he is going to do about this or that in the world instead of getting constantly attacked about a made up Russia dialogue. If we took away reporters things might get back to normal. Imagine a world where we cancelled the news for two weeks. There might actually be peace.

Keith cannot believe voters actually get to decide. Oh the horror.

Section 5 gives the feds power that actually goes beyond the minimum required of the states by the other sections. So, for example, the amendment itself does not require all the provisions of the Voting Rights Act, but section 5 gives Congress the authority to enact them.

That doesn't justify the court's reading in this case, though. I can't recall any other case in which the court ruled that an enforcement clause prevented the states from enforcing things on their own.
The assortment of pundits and professors who criticize this decision have the luxury of advancing their arguments with no real world consequences. The Supreme Court does not enjoy that luxury.

Most of the criticism here is based upon a Trump - centric analysis. That goes for the concurring justices who argued in favor of limited scope. The Majority got it right. They took a wholeistic view of the 14th Amendment w/o really getting into the Trump weeds. A big tell for me is that they could have ruled that Trump’s J6 conduct was not an insurrection, but didn’t. The could have ruled that POTUS is not intended to be covered, but didn’t. They hit the long ball as they should have.

Now on to the thorny immunity questions. This case is a clear indication that they will also not take a Trump-centric view of this question as did the CA.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT