ADVERTISEMENT

Schiano IS Returning To Rutgers

Probably the best Rutgers could do given the state of the program. Time will tell if they can recapture some of their past glory. It will be a long uphill road.

Looking him up on Wiki, I was surprised he is only 53 years old.

Looking at his college resume, it was darn good until last year. I don't know why OSU's D was so poor last year......but he was DC for 3 years for Urban Meyer, and the most successful HC RU ever had. He also has a reputation as an excellent recruiter.

I don't think the Rutgers program is nearly as hopeless a cause as most people think. They have a solid fan base when they are decent. They have a decent stadium. And there is outstanding talent in NJ and, to a lesser extent, next door in PA. Rivals has state rankings for recruits. Rivals lists 15 for Indiana, 45 for NJ. And #s 42-25 are going to PSU, Maryland, Purdue & Purdue. There are 12 recruits from NJ going to Miami, PSU, A & M, Michigan, ND & OSU. There are only 2 from Indiana going to traditional powers this year. So if GS gets to the place where he's getting 10 of the top 40 recruits in NJ each year, they won't be any worse than middle of the road in the BT.

Rutgers can be competitive in the BT in football, men's & women's basketball, wrestling and a few misc sports. They don't have good enough facilities or enough $ to build them or to hire big-time coaches in some other sports like baseball, softball, volleyball.

Looking him up on Wiki, I was surprised he is only 53 years old.

Looking at his college resume, it was darn good until last year. I don't know why OSU's D was so poor last year......but he was DC for 3 years for Urban Meyer, and the most successful HC RU ever had. He also has a reputation as an excellent recruiter.

I don't think the Rutgers program is nearly as hopeless a cause as most people think. They have a solid fan base when they are decent. They have a decent stadium. And there is outstanding talent in NJ and, to a lesser extent, next door in PA. Rivals has state rankings for recruits. Rivals lists 15 for Indiana, 45 for NJ. And #s 42-25 are going to PSU, Maryland, Purdue & Purdue. There are 12 recruits from NJ going to Miami, PSU, A & M, Michigan, ND & OSU. There are only 2 from Indiana going to traditional powers this year. So if GS gets to the place where he's getting 10 of the top 40 recruits in NJ each year, they won't be any worse than middle of the road in the BT.

Rutgers can be competitive in the BT in football, men's & women's basketball, wrestling and a few misc sports. They don't have good enough facilities or enough $ to build them or to hire big-time coaches in some other sports like baseball, softball, volleyball.
My understanding is that the sticking points were assistant coaches salary pool and necessity of commitment to upgrade facilities. Recruiting New Jersey does not scare me him being able to recruit Florida is a concern. Also would think Franklin May be concerned about him recruiting Pennsylvania.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Well, Purdue should be , they just lost one of their commits to Rutgers.

Yeah Max Melton. His brother is on the team currently. Both his parents are grads. As soon as he was hired that writing was on the wall. No public indications yet. But the QB Purdue has committed is being targeted heavily by the new Rutgers staff.

Reactions: wawasee
Yeah Max Melton. His brother is on the team currently. Both his parents are grads. As soon as he was hired that writing was on the wall. No public indications yet. But the QB Purdue has committed is being targeted heavily by the new Rutgers staff.
But But they have Brohm! The best thing since leisure suits..

Reactions: 76-1
Unlikely Alaimo is coming to RU according to insiders. He also has a brother who is on the team but it looks like he is solid to Purdue. We are about to flip a Va Tech commit though. The Schiano hire is a game changer and his first move was to hire Fran Brown who is able to recruit South Jersey like no other.

Good luck IU in your bowl game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT