ADVERTISEMENT

Schedule looking good

biglewexpress

Senior
Gold Member
Mar 21, 2006
A big highlight will be an opening series in Hawaii. Just putting that out there in case anyone wants to attend. Some quality opponents in FAU and Oregon St. Anyway, practice is always open, it was great to get out and see the kids putting in work. I hear there could possibly be a fall scrimmage the football MSU weekend if anyone is making that a long weekend.

A big highlight will be an opening series in Hawaii. Just putting that out there in case anyone wants to attend. Some quality opponents in FAU and Oregon St. Anyway, practice is always open, it was great to get out and see the kids putting in work. I hear there could possibly be a fall scrimmage the football MSU weekend if anyone is making that a long weekend.

Could you post a reminder if you confirm any Fall games? Enjoyed going to those but seems there are fewer now than a couple years ago. Thanks.

Could you post a reminder if you confirm any Fall games? Enjoyed going to those but seems there are fewer now than a couple years ago. Thanks.

Yes, possibly 3 fall games against other schools and of course inter squad games.

There is a inner squad scrimmage tomorrow around 12 before the football game. Pack a cooler and head to the Bart.

INDIANA BASEBALL FALL WEEKEND SCHEDULE UPDATE

Sep. 09, 2016 Baseball
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. – The Indiana baseball team has announced its fall schedule for this weekend, featuring two intrasquad scrimmages.

Below is this weekend's schedule.

Date Event Time
Sept. 10 Intrasquad Scrimmage 12:05 p.m.
Sept. 11 Intrasquad Scrimmage 3:05 p.m.

Times are subject to change due to weather. The rest of the fall schedule will be announced in the near future.

iuhoosiers.com/news/2016/9/9/indiana-baseball-fall-weekend-schedule-update.aspx

Go Hoosiers!

Ste

There is a inner squad scrimmage tomorrow around 12 before the football game. Pack a cooler and head to the Bart.
Took my son. We enjoyed it. Thought it was great that all those youth football players from Indy got a chance to watch. Great seats right behind home. Only bad part was my son had to give back the foul ball he got!

On a side note, the outfielders that played need work. Without a roster I can't tell if they were starters or walk-ons.

Reactions: snowling
Took my son. We enjoyed it. Thought it was great that all those youth football players from Indy got a chance to watch. Great seats right behind home. Only bad part was my son had to give back the foul ball he got!

On a side note, the outfielders that played need work. Without a roster I can't tell if they were starters or walk-ons.

Lol those ball are expensive! A pitcher was playing outfield so don't put much stock in thier performances. Lots of guys who are usually out there are "injured", or as they call them spring training injuries.

One thing is for sure, Freshman SS Jeremy Houston is the real deal. Probably your starting SS. A few other impressive freshman is Utility IF Patrick Loeffler and C Jake Matheny. Cam Beauchamp is the real deal too, sat consistently 90-91 in his Sunday outing and just has the look of a weekend guy. Brad Littleton looked good Saturday as well sitting 90-91 also. I'll go into more detail later on guys, or you can always ask.

Lol those ball are expensive! A pitcher was playing outfield so don't put much stock in thier performances. Lots of guys who are usually out there are "injured", or as they call them spring training injuries.

One thing is for sure, Freshman SS Jeremy Houston is the real deal. Probably your starting SS. A few other impressive freshman is Utility IF Patrick Loeffler and C Jake Matheny. Cam Beauchamp is the real deal too, sat consistently 90-91 in his Sunday outing and just has the look of a weekend guy. Brad Littleton looked good Saturday as well sitting 90-91 also. I'll go into more detail later on guys, or you can always ask.

Again, without a roster I didn't know names. If Houston is the African-American SS I saw Saturday I agree. Looked good in the field and on O. I asked the boys charting pitches who the kid was sitting at 91. They told me Littleton. Saw some struggles behind the plate but coaches were addressing it. Didn't look like the starting catcher from last year, name escapes me, who I thought did very well. Especially at the plate.
We'll be back, free foul balls or not.

Again, without a roster I didn't know names. If Houston is the African-American SS I saw Saturday I agree. Looked good in the field and on O. I asked the boys charting pitches who the kid was sitting at 91. They told me Littleton. Saw some struggles behind the plate but coaches were addressing it. Didn't look like the starting catcher from last year, name escapes me, who I thought did very well. Especially at the plate.
We'll be back, free foul balls or not.

Yes that was Houston, his number is 1. Really good SS, I had one guy who spent a spring training season with Jimmy Rollins make a comparison to him and Houston and I can see that. Making plays behind the bag look easy, and that double play to end the scrimmage Sat was one of the most athletic plays you will see. Not a guy power guy, but uses all fields on O and just gets on base. Easy to see why he was highly ranked out of HS.

Fineman is the catcher you are referring to and he played sat, Jake matheny (21) is the other C. Jake is the one who hit the HR, really good bat with pull side power. It's hard to put rosters out at this time because teams have till February to get the roster cut to 35.

Reactions: KJ1112 and snowling
Looking at the guys returning on offense and adding some of the impressive freshmen you mentioned I would think the offense will be formidable. Pitching was terrific last season but we lost a lot. Any insight biglew on the progression of the staff? Realize we will be on the younger side.

Looking at the guys returning on offense and adding some of the impressive freshmen you mentioned I would think the offense will be formidable. Pitching was terrific last season but we lost a lot. Any insight biglew on the progression of the staff? Realize we will be on the younger side.

Pitching is certainly a big question mark. I don't think there is a clear #1 (Friday night guy), but the arms that we have are really good and projectable. I know most coaches tend to value expierence at this level so guys like Stevenson, Stiever, Milto, Hobbie will get a chance to be starters. Beauchamp is probably in that mix as well. I don't think we have a guy we know will give us 5-6 quality innings every outing, so it will mainly be a in game decision of when to make changes.

There are some really quality arms top to bottom though, maybe the deepest I've seen here at IU. Guys like Herrin, Foote, Lloyd, Littleton, Sedat, Kreguer will be in the mix. The backend of the pen will really have to develop also. I think it will take quite a few games for guys to settle into their roles or even know what thier roles will be. No shortage of good arms though.

Reactions: snowling
Pitching is certainly a big question mark. I don't think there is a clear #1 (Friday night guy), but the arms that we have are really good and projectable. I know most coaches tend to value expierence at this level so guys like Stevenson, Stiever, Milto, Hobbie will get a chance to be starters. Beauchamp is probably in that mix as well. I don't think we have a guy we know will give us 5-6 quality innings every outing, so it will mainly be a in game decision of when to make changes.

There are some really quality arms top to bottom though, maybe the deepest I've seen here at IU. Guys like Herrin, Foote, Lloyd, Littleton, Sedat, Kreguer will be in the mix. The backend of the pen will really have to develop also. I think it will take quite a few games for guys to settle into their roles or even know what thier roles will be. No shortage of good arms though.

Always appreciate your updates and insights on players.

Love it! One of my favorite parts of watching early season games is watching how the team develops and catching the progression of individual players. Thanks for sharing!

So far, I can only find that Iowa, Illinois and Nebraska are the only B1G teams that have released their full 2017 schedule up to this point. Of those three, we play only Nebraska which is at Bart Kaufman on Mar 31 thru Apr 2.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT