ADVERTISEMENT

Safety DJ Warnell leaving…….

Appears we have the red-shirt / transfer four-game window playing out across the country. I think UNLV had a guy bail because the NIL fell apart. Said DJ played in four games on the SI article I read. He has one to give someone. New normal? Feels like it.

Reactions: red hornet
I just don’t get it…this guy started a whole 2 games over 4 seasons at UCLA and AZ before coming to IU, where he’s gotten in on a respectable number of snaps to date, 93, as a back-up. Gives up on an historic season and at least 8 more games this season, so he can go play a 6th season elsewhere?

I kinda get DM wanting a full season elsewhere to be the man. Has shown, at times, good skills. He’s got next level WR size and athleticism, even if questions remain in other areas for him.

But, this DB? C’mon. Next!!

Last edited:
I just don’t get it…this guy started a whole 2 games over 4 seasons at UCLA and AZ before coming to IU, where he’s gotten in on a respectable number of snaps to date, 93, as a back-up. Gives up on an historic season and at least 8 more games this season, so he can go play a 6th season elsewhere?

I kinda get DM wanting a full season elsewhere to be the man. Has shown, at times, good skills. He’s got next level WR size and athleticism, even if questions remain in other areas for him.

But, this DB? C’mon. Next!!

I believe a common problem with the quick-to-transfer guys in this new NIL era is that most all of them have a totally unrealistic view of their talent and value to a school and, most of all, their ability to ever make it in the NFL...... This guy seems to be one of them.... as much as they THINK they'll end up playing on Sundays, the odds are they won't even get past the first Free Agent camp.

Reactions: 4IUSox2
I believe a common problem with the quick-to-transfer guys in this new NIL era is that most all of them have a totally unrealistic view of their talent and value to a school and, most of all, their ability to ever make it in the NFL...... This guy seems to be one of them.... as much as they THINK they'll end up playing on Sundays, the odds are they won't even get past the first Free Agent camp.
They all want paid and unlike MBB IU is fairly new to the substantiall NIL game.

Most of the guys that have entered the portal at this point felt it was better to be a spectator while in the portal than a spectator on the sidelines while preserving another year of eligibility. As far as the NIL goes, I don't see most of these guys having much NIL leverage while in the portal other than McCulley. Maybe I'm all wet on this, but that is how I see it.

Most of the guys that have entered the portal at this point felt it was better to be a spectator while in the portal than a spectator on the sidelines while preserving another year of eligibility. As far as the NIL goes, I don't see most of these guys having much NIL leverage while in the portal other than McCulley. Maybe I'm all wet on this, but that is how I see it.

That's what I was saying.... They have an unrealistic view of their ability...... but, I believe they are looking at two things.... first, they're thinking, "how much can I make in the NIL" ... and then, "when I get to the NFL..." ... and the NFL ain't gonna happen.

I was thinking about this whole mess today, and want to throw out two ideas.
1 . Your 4 Game redshirt exception Year can only be used in your natural freshman or Sophomore Year. This gets back to what it was intended for. to give a young player to get his feet wet in competition early in his career and allow the Coaching Staff to use Him and evaluate Him once He gets enough practice reps to be comfortable. Any redshirt years in Junior or Senior Year are granted based upon a significant injury that prevents the player from playing more than 5 games in that Year.

2. Your first entry into the Portal system is free and no restriction or waiting period attaches. If You enter and transfer a 2nd time, You are under the old 1 Year sit out penalty period. This puts the onus on the Player(and his entourage) to make the correct decision the first time and really think about the consequences of a second transfer. It also eliminates the situation faced by Lincoln Riley at USC. The lineman Who transferred from Georgia entered School this fall played 4 games and is using his red shirt year to sit out and enter the transfer portal will have to think about whether it is worth it to transfer a second time and be out of competition for almost 2 years.

Reactions: grammy2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT